Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2023 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
He also said he's thought about doing a German Expressionist/B&W house based on Nosferatu or Dr Caligari, which already sounds like the most awesome thing we're never getting. Maybe a version when the Eggers movie releases?
Yeah I saw that too. Nosferatu is public domain (which he also mentioned) so there’s nothing holding them back there other than probably USH not wanting to figure out how to market it.

Couple interesting things from Twitter Q&A Murdy is doing:

1) Says Hellraiser and Scream are two properties that he’d do if there were no copyright issues. Wonder if that makes Scream not as likely as we think for 2023.

Think Scream can go either way. He seems really wanting to do it; and it is in different hands as it was.

Could be trepidation as the last time Scream came, it was not what was initially brokered in a deal.

___

The thing that interests me heavily of something in particular: That for atleast two of the houses, they are being developed with research going back as far as the 18th century, and the 19th century.

Murdy Q&A also ruled out Orlando transplant house for next year (said there's currently no plan to bring one as a follow up to Scarecrow)... the pot thickens... as does my realistic guess list being knocked down a peg.

Murdy Q&A also ruled out Orlando transplant house for next year (said there's currently no plan to bring one as a follow up to Scarecrow)... the pot thickens... as does my realistic guess list being knocked down a peg.

Still think there's a chance that he can be carny on the subject of that, but it is interesting to note.

Went through the trouble with the help of @MikePat on compiling of all the questions and answers as-well, for the sake of ease of access.
-From AntonineHorror: Will The Hill return to Terror Tram? (This is in reference to what I call, "The Nature Walk"; a section of path that would be present after Bates Motel and prior to Psycho house). Murdy's Response: "Doubtful. Sketchy Then, even more sketchy now."
-From Urielxmtz: How was the experience working with Abel? Murdy's Response: "loved working with Abel throughout the process. And showing him around the park was a really fun night."
-Additionally from Urielxmtz: Will the After Hours Bar return in the future? Murdy's Response: "As to the future, can’t say yet because you know…that stuff is confidential."
-From DireBrian: Do you think the success of The Weeknd maze in 2022 may open the door to the return of more possible music collaborations in the future? Murdy's Response: "I certainly hope so. Always love working with music artists."
-From @HydraGen2299: "With the 3 Houses you've been writing, what decades have you had to research for each one?" Murdy's Response: "Jeez. More like which centuries."
- Additionally asked further by HydraGen: Damn! Alright then which centuries? Murdy's Response: "18th, 19th mainly." (18th Century: 1701-1800, 19th Century: 1801-1900).
-From Aaron/SheppytheVolrus: Would you ever consider working with Guillermo Del Toro again? Murdy's Response: "Of course. Met GDT in 2011…had breakfast with him shortly after to discuss a project and didn’t get to actually work together till 2015 (I believe that was when we did Crimson Peak). Highly respect him and his artistic vision. Really enjoyed working with him."
-From DehSpaghettiBoi (bless Twitter usernames): What are the chances of Nosferatu? Murdy's Response: "It’s public domain so no legal issues. It’s on my wish list. I want to do it black and white with a German Expressionist style like Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Maybe mash those two up. One day.."
-From JrSologalstoa: With the original houses at the event, what usually inspires you to choose something based on a particular time period or setting? With themes like the Dust bowl for Scarecrow or the Greek legend inspiration for Pandora's Box I'm very interested in what brings you to that theme. Murdy's Response: "Cause I’m a huge history buff. That’s all I read for pleasure. I was blessed by having a very inspirational history professor for an elective in college and I took so many of his classes I could have minored in it had I bothered to fill out the forms. Just love you exploring it."
-From maunten: Was horror hotel a project that replaced something or where you always gonna do horror hotel? Murdy’s Response: “Replacement. Shhh! Don’t tell anyone”
-Additionally asked by maunten/lilvee__: Are there any music artists/groups that you would like to work with for a maze that you never worked with before? Murdy’s Response: “Yes. Have actually fully designed one that we haven’t done yet for various reasons. I have others I’d like to do”
-Additionally asked further by maunten: Was it Billie Eillish? Murdy’s Response: “No. A different music act”
-From gibertgoober: How is the relationship with Netflix currently? I was surprised to not see a Netflix property at this years event. Murdy’s Response: “They’ve been doing their own thing lately but still friendly with the people I know there and really enjoy working with them.”
-From @Director818: Will we continue to see at least one house that's more comedic and campy horror, i.e. Killer Klowns, Ghostbusters, Holidayz In Hell, the Hollywood Harry trams etc..? Murdy's Response: "Not as a goal every year. Just when the right opportunity arises."
-From Soldatrenard: "Will the team continue using the old walking dead space for Horror Nights? Nice to see the area used for Hotel." Murdy's Response: Yes. Eventually would be nice to make it a true black box space...Believe it or not the cabin is still in there and some other structures and permanent walls we had to dodge around. It was crazy designing the house this year."
-From TheEntConnect: Not a question, but I would love to see “Hollywood Harry Presents” style of houses for the future! Murdy’s Response: “...I always love bringing back Harry…but he’s disappeared back into the hills so who knows when or if we’ll see him again.”
-From Park_Journey: On that same line, do you consider Hollywood Harry to be kind of an "Icon" for Horror Nights Hollywood, similar to how Orlando does them? Any future Hollywood Icons coming up? Also, can you reveal the location for the Chucky Maze for 2023? Understand if you can't. Murdy’s Response: “I guess you can say that. He’s been featured 3 times now. You might see a new one, depends on your definition. La Llorona has been featured 4 times. Is she an icon? If Bloody Mary is she is. As for Chucky, not yet. Too soon.”
-From andre_sum_gamer: An original terror tram idea I thought would be cool to see one year whether it’s hosted by Hollywood Harry or The Screecher (the tv host character from ToT 2017) is a Slaughter Sinema inspired theme from Orlando. Murdy’s Response: “OK that is one I did consider. I liked the concept and wanted to do our take on it. I also liked the WWI Nightingales idea.”
-From ImRicardoLopez: Any chance of TOXXXXIC TUNEL making a comeback next year? Or better yet the backlot locations? Murdy's Response: "Not currently. I wish we could get that area back but we’ve been booted for production needs."
-From DreamerHaunt: Was there anything in 2022s event that you really wanted to do, but got scrapped, and if so, which one was a pain for you to remove? Like scrapped effects or scenes. Murdy’s Response: “We had things we pitched that we didn’t get to do that I really liked. All comes down to money but I’m extremely grateful for what we were able to do and the support we got to do it. That giant crow is a good example. That wasn’t budgeted. I had to sell that and so glad we did it”
-From aerodragons98: You've been teasing all this disturbing stuff for next year surpassing La Llorona, do any of these things involve Children like La Llorona did? Murdy’s Response: “You know here’s the thing. When I first did that scene for La Llorona it was before I had kids so I had to see if I could still do it post having kids. I guess I can. Better able to differentiate what is make believe and reality I guess. Has to be important to the story like LL”
-From @Director818 once more:: Given that Candyman was part of RIP this year, would you ever consider a full-blown Candyman house one day? Murdy’s Response: “Don’t know. I do really love the paper puppet element and have thought how that could be translated”
-From Alex16086992: Honestly would you ever be down to do a Monkeypaw Compilation house? Or maybe even a collaboration original house idea with Jordan Peele? Murdy’s Response: “Sure. Very tight with Monkey Paw and have always enjoyed working with them and JP”
-From Dagdagan5: Not really a question…. But we never did get that Alice Cooper 3rd maze…. I will always advocate for that! Murdy’s Response: “Yeah. It was a cool concept. Or rough concept. I didn’t write the whole thing…just had the basic idea.”
-From ThemeParkEpics: Ever thought about bringing more "winter" locations to Hollywood's event? The snow scene in The Shining was great, and I just got reminded of a snow-based haunted houses after walking through a house in Orlando this year. Murdy’s Response: “Yeah that’s always a fun theme. One day we got to do the original Thing. And “It’s a Not So Wonderful Life” wait a minute…that’s a brilliant idea for a house!”

I think that house was less if a transplant and more of a Murdy wanted to do a scarwcrow house and the name was already copyrighted.

I wish I had known he was doing a Q&A. Im really curious to know if The Ring or The Grudge have been considered. Theyre very iconic.

Still think there's a chance that he can be carny on the subject of that, but it is interesting to note.

Went through the trouble with the help of @MikePat on compiling of all the questions and answers as-well, for the sake of ease of access.
-From AntonineHorror: Will The Hill return to Terror Tram? (This is in reference to what I call, "The Nature Walk"; a section of path that would be present after Bates Motel and prior to Psycho house). Murdy's Response: "Doubtful. Sketchy Then, even more sketchy now."
-From Urielxmtz: How was the experience working with Abel? Murdy's Response: "loved working with Abel throughout the process. And showing him around the park was a really fun night."
-Additionally from Urielxmtz: Will the After Hours Bar return in the future? Murdy's Response: "As to the future, can’t say yet because you know…that stuff is confidential."
-From DireBrian: Do you think the success of The Weeknd maze in 2022 may open the door to the return of more possible music collaborations in the future? Murdy's Response: "I certainly hope so. Always love working with music artists."
-From @HydraGen2299: "With the 3 Houses you've been writing, what decades have you had to research for each one?" Murdy's Response: "Jeez. More like which centuries."
- Additionally asked further by HydraGen: Damn! Alright then which centuries? Murdy's Response: "18th, 19th mainly." (18th Century: 1701-1800, 19th Century: 1801-1900).
-From Aaron/SheppytheVolrus: Would you ever consider working with Guillermo Del Toro again? Murdy's Response: "Of course. Met GDT in 2011…had breakfast with him shortly after to discuss a project and didn’t get to actually work together till 2015 (I believe that was when we did Crimson Peak). Highly respect him and his artistic vision. Really enjoyed working with him."
-From DehSpaghettiBoi (bless Twitter usernames): What are the chances of Nosferatu? Murdy's Response: "It’s public domain so no legal issues. It’s on my wish list. I want to do it black and white with a German Expressionist style like Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Maybe mash those two up. One day.."
-From JrSologalstoa: With the original houses at the event, what usually inspires you to choose something based on a particular time period or setting? With themes like the Dust bowl for Scarecrow or the Greek legend inspiration for Pandora's Box I'm very interested in what brings you to that theme. Murdy's Response: "Cause I’m a huge history buff. That’s all I read for pleasure. I was blessed by having a very inspirational history professor for an elective in college and I took so many of his classes I could have minored in it had I bothered to fill out the forms. Just love you exploring it."
-From maunten: Was horror hotel a project that replaced something or where you always gonna do horror hotel? Murdy’s Response: “Replacement. Shhh! Don’t tell anyone”
-Additionally asked by maunten/lilvee__: Are there any music artists/groups that you would like to work with for a maze that you never worked with before? Murdy’s Response: “Yes. Have actually fully designed one that we haven’t done yet for various reasons. I have others I’d like to do”
-Additionally asked further by maunten: Was it Billie Eillish? Murdy’s Response: “No. A different music act”
-From gibertgoober: How is the relationship with Netflix currently? I was surprised to not see a Netflix property at this years event. Murdy’s Response: “They’ve been doing their own thing lately but still friendly with the people I know there and really enjoy working with them.”
-From @Director818: Will we continue to see at least one house that's more comedic and campy horror, i.e. Killer Klowns, Ghostbusters, Holidayz In Hell, the Hollywood Harry trams etc..? Murdy's Response: "Not as a goal every year. Just when the right opportunity arises."
-From Soldatrenard: "Will the team continue using the old walking dead space for Horror Nights? Nice to see the area used for Hotel." Murdy's Response: Yes. Eventually would be nice to make it a true black box space...Believe it or not the cabin is still in there and some other structures and permanent walls we had to dodge around. It was crazy designing the house this year."
-From TheEntConnect: Not a question, but I would love to see “Hollywood Harry Presents” style of houses for the future! Murdy’s Response: “...I always love bringing back Harry…but he’s disappeared back into the hills so who knows when or if we’ll see him again.”
-From Park_Journey: On that same line, do you consider Hollywood Harry to be kind of an "Icon" for Horror Nights Hollywood, similar to how Orlando does them? Any future Hollywood Icons coming up? Also, can you reveal the location for the Chucky Maze for 2023? Understand if you can't. Murdy’s Response: “I guess you can say that. He’s been featured 3 times now. You might see a new one, depends on your definition. La Llorona has been featured 4 times. Is she an icon? If Bloody Mary is she is. As for Chucky, not yet. Too soon.”
-From andre_sum_gamer: An original terror tram idea I thought would be cool to see one year whether it’s hosted by Hollywood Harry or The Screecher (the tv host character from ToT 2017) is a Slaughter Sinema inspired theme from Orlando. Murdy’s Response: “OK that is one I did consider. I liked the concept and wanted to do our take on it. I also liked the WWI Nightingales idea.”
-From ImRicardoLopez: Any chance of TOXXXXIC TUNEL making a comeback next year? Or better yet the backlot locations? Murdy's Response: "Not currently. I wish we could get that area back but we’ve been booted for production needs."
-From DreamerHaunt: Was there anything in 2022s event that you really wanted to do, but got scrapped, and if so, which one was a pain for you to remove? Like scrapped effects or scenes. Murdy’s Response: “We had things we pitched that we didn’t get to do that I really liked. All comes down to money but I’m extremely grateful for what we were able to do and the support we got to do it. That giant crow is a good example. That wasn’t budgeted. I had to sell that and so glad we did it”
-From aerodragons98: You've been teasing all this disturbing stuff for next year surpassing La Llorona, do any of these things involve Children like La Llorona did? Murdy’s Response: “You know here’s the thing. When I first did that scene for La Llorona it was before I had kids so I had to see if I could still do it post having kids. I guess I can. Better able to differentiate what is make believe and reality I guess. Has to be important to the story like LL”
-From @Director818 once more:: Given that Candyman was part of RIP this year, would you ever consider a full-blown Candyman house one day? Murdy’s Response: “Don’t know. I do really love the paper puppet element and have thought how that could be translated”
-From Alex16086992: Honestly would you ever be down to do a Monkeypaw Compilation house? Or maybe even a collaboration original house idea with Jordan Peele? Murdy’s Response: “Sure. Very tight with Monkey Paw and have always enjoyed working with them and JP”
-From Dagdagan5: Not really a question…. But we never did get that Alice Cooper 3rd maze…. I will always advocate for that! Murdy’s Response: “Yeah. It was a cool concept. Or rough concept. I didn’t write the whole thing…just had the basic idea.”
-From ThemeParkEpics: Ever thought about bringing more "winter" locations to Hollywood's event? The snow scene in The Shining was great, and I just got reminded of a snow-based haunted houses after walking through a house in Orlando this year. Murdy’s Response: “Yeah that’s always a fun theme. One day we got to do the original Thing. And “It’s a Not So Wonderful Life” wait a minute…that’s a brilliant idea for a house!”
I had no idea that the cabin and some sets from TWDA still remained. I knew the catwalk was still there, but wow.

Since it's not the empty black box that everyone thought it was, I can absolutely see ED: R being even more of a possibility now.

I had no idea that the cabin and some sets from TWDA still remained. I knew the catwalk was still there, but wow.

Since it's not the empty black box that everyone thought it was, I can absolutely see ED: R being even more of a possibility now.
That goes to show how big that venue truly is. I thought UHH was by far the longest maze. Completely gutted, it could be even longer. No surprise, it is where HoH was. Wish they'd go back to that 2 floor layout, it was epic.

This answer really caught my attention. Gonna bet on the 18th century one being an original, and the 19th century one being the potential Phantom concept, since im pretty sure the events of the original novel are set in the late 1800s.
Can't really think of anything that would be set as early as the 1700s outside of a historically based original.

The most obvious 18th century myth/legend is Headless Horseman. Doesn't mean that's what's coming necessarily. Could also be another Latin American legend, or maybe East Asian folklore. Kuchisake-Onna lines up with that time period

This answer really caught my attention. Gonna bet on the 18th century one being an original, and the 19th century one being the potential Phantom concept, since im pretty sure the events of the original novel are set in the late 1800s.
Can't really think of anything that would be set as early as the 1700s outside of a historically based original.

See, I am thinking the 19th Century is Universal Monsters...but I'm not thinking Phantom.

Why? Because the first Universal Monster debuted on September 2nd, 1923. The original Monster, the one before The Phantom, The Count, and The Experiment. I am referring, to The Hunchback of Notre Dame, released as the first Universal Monster film on that date.

For the 100th Anniversary of Universal Monsters, Murdy falling back on the subject of the original monster allows him to craft a story that can focus on Hunchback. One that could lean into how dark the book actively is, and how it depicts Quasimodo. Could they bring Phantom into it? Sure, but I am fully confident atleast Hunchback is the focus.

See, I am thinking the 19th Century is Universal Monsters...but I'm not thinking Phantom.

Why? Because the first Universal Monster debuted on September 2nd, 1923. The original Monster, the one before The Phantom, The Count, and The Experiment. I am referring, to The Hunchback of Notre Dame, released as the first Universal Monster film on that date.

For the 100th Anniversary of Universal Monsters, Murdy falling back on the subject of the original monster allows him to craft a story that can focus on Hunchback. One that could lean into how dark the book actively is, and how it depicts Quasimodo. Could they bring Phantom into it? Sure, but I am fully confident atleast Hunchback is the focus.
I shouldve specified when i mentioned a "phantom concept", i was meaning a Hunchback and Phantom crossover as the most likely next angle theyll take, and wouldnt be difficult given they take place in the same city. In terms of when Hunchback is actually set, it's a lot sooner than Phantom, i think the 15th century. I think it's totally plausible they just push him up a few centuries so they can meet, I just figured illustrating phantoms more direct connection, especially since murdy previously said he had an idea for the character, seemed like how they'd take it.
Hoping its what we end up with anyhow since honestly we're probably due for a bit of a break from the standard Draculas and Wolfmans of recent years.

I shouldve specified when i mentioned a "phantom concept", i was meaning a Hunchback and Phantom crossover as the most likely next angle theyll take, and wouldnt be difficult given they take place in the same city. In terms of when Hunchback is actually set, it's a lot sooner than Phantom, i think the 15th century. I think it's totally plausible they just push him up a few centuries so they can meet, I just figured illustrating phantoms more direct connection, especially since murdy previously said he had an idea for the character, seemed like how they'd take it.

I mean, one of Murdy's favorite horror movies is Phantom. He referenced his love for Phantom in the past, making me suspect he would love to do a house. The time to highlight Phantom and Hunchback seems fitting, given we have seen The Monster, Bride of Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, and The Mummy at least two times (maybe more) in Hollywood's recent catalog of Monster houses. Since we traveled to London for Legends Collide, Paris would be an ideal follow-up location.

A silent horror compilation house like Nosferatu/Caligari sounds absolutely excellent. But also like something that would never get green lighted...

Speculation season getting a little slow already? Allow me to get things going again.

Could Jason come back next year after a six year absence? If so, do you think we'll get Freddy back as well? HHN has never done anything with Jason unless Freddy is there as well. They both go together like salt and pepper.

EDIT TO ADD: Chucky, Jason, and Freddy would be a marketing goldmine of a trio right there. Add Ghostface and you got yourself a lot of sold out nights right there

Last edited:
Speculation season getting a little slow already? Allow me to get things going again.

Could Jason come back next year after a six year absence? If so, do you think we'll get Freddy back as well? HHN has never done anything with Jason unless Freddy is there as well. They both go together like salt and pepper.

EDIT TO ADD: Chucky, Jason, and Freddy would be a marketing goldmine of a trio right there. Add Ghostface and you got yourself a lot of sold out nights right there
Titans of Terror returns. I've missed Freddy for awhile. Could live without Jason, personally -- it's similar just enough to Halloween for it to feel like I don't need to see it again right just yet, but I feel Freddy is due another solo maze considering all the content in those movies.

Titans of Terror returns. I've missed Freddy for awhile. Could live without Jason, personally -- it's similar just enough to Halloween for it to feel like I don't need to see it again right just yet, but I feel Freddy is due another solo maze considering all the content in those movies.
I second this as well. I’m a little burnt out on the “silent slashers” at the moment, and right now I could use of Freddy’s evil chaotic personality and some funny memorable quotes. I’d personally like to see another solo Nightmare On Elm Street, but I wouldn’t mind a Friday The 13th maze coming back (Personal wish would be Jason X just for the sheer ridiculousness of it).

It’s been too long since they both got solo mazes back then and ONE of them deserves to come back. Michael’s been hogging too much of the slashers area and needs to take a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.