Halloween Horror Nights 21 Reviews & Photos | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 21 Reviews & Photos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Its an eye candy zone, not really meant for scares, honestly the best zone for scares this year and by far in MANY years was Grown Evil, with Canyon in 2nd place.

Acid Assault was pretty fun too cause the SAs were interacting with each other as well which made it fun, but I did't see a lot of scares.

The females provide a distraction and the males provide the scares. I thought they really got into their roles. :shrug:

The scareactors are great, and the the concept is fantastic, but there is too much open space for it work right. I judged the scarezones scaremeter by my girlfriends reactions, and she got more scared in Nightmaze then 7.

Its an eye candy zone, not really meant for scares, honestly the best zone for scares this year and by far in MANY years was Grown Evil, with Canyon in 2nd place.

Acid Assault was pretty fun too cause the SAs were interacting with each other as well which made it fun, but I did't see a lot of scares.

Agreed. Grown Evil was fantastic, and Canyon was great. The best part about canyon is that it didn't rely on extravagant props. It's a pretty basic idea, and it works beautifully.

I thought the costumes in Grown were just too lame-looking and obvious to be effectively scary. It's hard for a bat whose head is three-feet wide to get the drop on anyone. Maybe if the zone had more intense music it could help them out. Canyon was weak visually and a breathing hazard but that was the zone with the best scares based on my experience so far.

Canyon absolutely had the best scares of the whole night I was there, they got me once, and I NEVER get caught in zones, but Grown Evil was a perfect mix of everything. This area is the BEST area for a SZ in the whole park and I was pissed for years that they left it untouched or ONLY had the pumpkins.

Canyon absolutely had the best scares of the whole night I was there, they got me once, and I NEVER get caught in zones, but Grown Evil was a perfect mix of everything. This area is the BEST area for a SZ in the whole park and I was pissed for years that they left it untouched or ONLY had the pumpkins.

Crown is one of my favorite zones that they have done, I thought it worked great there was enough fog and darkness for them to hide, even their three foot heads. Very simple yet effective.
But I hate the new pumpkins and where they are.

--- Update ---

HHN21013.jpg

--- Update ---

HHN21070.jpg

Personally I thought this year was the best year for zones. 7 is now my favorite zone of all 4 years. It had great atmosphere and I got more scares in there then I got in the 18, 19, and 20 zones combined. Canyon and Grown have been spoken for and they deserve all of the praise they got because there were some great scares in there. Even Nightmaze got my friend and I multiple times. It may have been because it was just our group going through at the time but the actors were moving the maze all over causing us to go in multiple directions and then scaring us in the new paths. Luck need another actor or two, because I got one great scare in there and the oportunity with all of the hiding places in the alley were there as well. I found it to be a good zone with a lot of potential if they just add another actor or two. Acid was my only disapointment but I'll blame the rain that had happened around when we went through this zone.

Personally I thought this year was the best year for zones. 7 is now my favorite zone of all 4 years. It had great atmosphere and I got more scares in there then I got in the 18, 19, and 20 zones combined. Canyon and Grown have been spoken for and they deserve all of the praise they got because there were some great scares in there. Even Nightmaze got my friend and I multiple times. It may have been because it was just our group going through at the time but the actors were moving the maze all over causing us to go in multiple directions and then scaring us in the new paths. Luck need another actor or two, because I got one great scare in there and the oportunity with all of the hiding places in the alley were there as well. I found it to be a good zone with a lot of potential if they just add another actor or two. Acid was my only disapointment but I'll blame the rain that had happened around when we went through this zone.

So wait, you prefer 7 over Streets of Blood, Asylum in Wondeland, Saws N Steam, 20 Years of Fear, Horrorwood Drive-in, and War of the Living Dead????

i went through Nightingales a bazillion times and never got to see the soldier get ripped in half leaving only his legs. please tell me there is a video or something online. ive only seen the legs standing there.

also it was one of the best houses this year.

So wait, you prefer 7 over Streets of Blood, Asylum in Wondeland, Saws N Steam, 20 Years of Fear, Horrorwood Drive-in, and War of the Living Dead????

I find it debatable. The zones you listed were great, sure, but scares can be subjective. I'm shocked by the people who didn't like 7 - I think it's the scariest zone I've ever seen at HHN (been attending since 08). Some of the 08 zones, War, and Horrorwood may have had better sets, but the 7 sets are nothing to sneeze at... and the scare actors, my god, two of the most talented casts I've ever seen at HHN. Favorite zone of the year, easily.

I'm also baffled by the people who worship Grown Evil. I think it's an absolutely beautiful zone dripping with atmosphere... but the scares simply aren't there. The costumes are gorgeous, but the actors aren't aggressive enough. They spread their wings and so such but there's just no real sense of fear... There was a slight improvement the second weekend over the first, so maybe it'll continue to improve...

Canyon of Dark Souls & Your Luck has Run Out (I know, gasp!) are battling for my #2. Canyon, despite its simple set, manages to scare the **** out of me at least a couple times each night. And the way they incorporated the stilts was just fiendishly clever. As for Luck... while the Demon Luck masks are awful, there have been serious improvements in here in terms of scaring and atmosphere. Lighting, music, setpieces have all been edited for the better... and the Minions here (and even some of the Demon Lucks) are on fire. It's worth noting that one cast seems to be much better than the other. Try to hit both casts.

Acid Assault is good, I just don't ever spend much time in it for some reason. It's got some cool-looking costumes, great sets, a massive size, and some very talented actors (hats off to you, Mr. Wheelchair).

Nightmaze just felt like a meh idea from the start... I'm not sure they really thought it through. It would be better if it were basically Asylum in Wonderland part 2 with lots of bizarre patterns and whacky, random costumes... so then the hit-or-miss moving walls wouldn't impact the zone so much. The all-blackness screams cheapness/laziness. I do see some effort here though, so it isn't AWFUL, and I dig the disc costumes and the soundtrack.

i went through Nightingales a bazillion times and never got to see the soldier get ripped in half leaving only his legs. please tell me there is a video or something online. ive only seen the legs standing there.

also it was one of the best houses this year.

I didn't see it until my fourth trip through.
Its all a matter of timing, luck, and multiple walk throughs to see all the gags.

Forsaken's bungi guy was hit or miss, there was supposed to be a fog screen... that they couldn't get to work.
The Things animatronics, shooters, and hallway creature.
Saws N Steams scrim scene.
HR Blz the atomic blast, musket, and the Aubor Day tree.
Winters Night the crawling Zombie.
Madness Poe the stairway scrim scene
Nightengales machine gun and shooters

Last edited:
I didn't see it until my fourth trip through.
Its all a matter of timing, luck, and multiple walk throughs to see all the gags.

Forsaken's bungi guy was hit or miss, there was supposed to be a fog screen... that they couldn't get to work.
The Things animatronics, shooters, and hallway creature.
Saws N Steams scrim scene.
HR Blz the atomic blast, musket, and the Aubor Day tree.
Winters Night the crawling Zombie.
Madness Poe the stairway scrim scene
Nightengales machine gun and shooters

the terrible part is i think i saw everything you just named.

We all have our Zone Opinions It is what it is an OPINION. I was not a fan of the whole over all zones I Did enjoy the Canyon as the Scarectors had you pretty well with no where to go. But my opinion it was One of the Weakest Years of my 14 years going in The Modern Era the weakest is still 17 IMO.

Hey guys! This is going to be my first full review so any comments or criticism is appreciated :smiley: I went on Friday, October 7th and arrived at the park at approximately 7 p.m with the rain going on until about 8 or 9. It rained periodically the entire night but the scarezone actors were out all night except during the downpour towards the beginning. I stayed until 2 a.m and went through every single haunted house, scarezone, AND i rode the mummy, all without express passes B). In my review I'm gonna rate the haunted houses 1-8, #1 being the first. Just so you guys can get a better idea and picture in your mind, I'm a 15 year old guy and this is my 3rd year attending HHN. P.s- there may be some mild spoilers shown ahead.

#1= H.R Bloodengutz: Holidays of Horror: First off, I wanna say that all the houses this year were good. This one was great. I went into the house with my guard down from the Mummy and with a laughing mentality from the queue video, but I got scared in just about every single room. I also had the fortunate luck of seeing the Feaster Bunny and the arbor day tree. I personally thought that the detail and creativeness of this haunted house made it so great. Every single room was incredible and the costumes were jaw-dropping. I also loved how it was as if you were going through the set of each movie. This was the house with the most scares for me and i thoroughly enjoyed it the most.

#2= Saws n Steam: This was the last house I went to on Friday and I had no idea what to expect. Let me say that I am a huge fan of the Bioshock series and this shared many resemblances with the videogames and made it that much better. :thumbs: Before entering the house, the Bill and Ted show was coming to a musical finale next door so the entire line was just jamming. The highlight of the night was when "Party Rock Anthem" started playing and EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THAT LINE immediately started shuffling. :focus: Anyways, the scareactors in this haunted house were so enthused and into their roles, that it was just great. This house also had an amazing amount of detail and therefore, it is my second favorite haunted house.

#3= The In-Between: This is the most trippy and delusional thing I have ever been through. Even though I only got scared about two or three times, the visual effects made this house just sooo good! I love how i was able to keep the 3d glasses afterwards. *NOTE-If you look at the back of the t-shirt with all the haunted houses the top and bottom of the shirt pops out at you!* :happy: They should create a haunted house leading into a 3d scarezone immediately afterwards. The "floorless" room was so great. What really made this house so great is how they used the vortex as a transition and the environment that was created.

#4= Winter's night: WOW. The detail and environment of this house is just unbelievable. The temperature definitely sets the mood and gets you on your toes. This house was just full of scares for me and was really great. Even though I was never scared that I got a shiver down my spine, I was startled in just about every room.

#5= The Thing: How can i describe this house? I would describe it like a scary Jaws-ride walk through but themed as the Thing. Oh and that it is just like a movie set and was definitely tied for #1 on detail. What made this house so good was that the scareactors were all so into their roles so props to all of you. The things were all so detailed and i was scared many times in this house. Oh and that was the first time i was ever in snow. :happy:

#6= The Forsaken: One off my 3 "crap my pants, scream like a girl, run away, shiver down my spine" scares was in this house. The set design was just great and I personally loved the costumes even though many people did not agree with me. I loved how detailed and innovated some of the rooms were and it was a great start to my night.

#7= Nightingales: This haunted house perfectly displayed the war trenches that we learn about in history class. My only complaint of this house was how loud it was but i guess that's how war is? The costumes were great and so were the scares but I think i had bad timing because I only got scared about 3 times

#8*Nevermore: The reason I put a star next to the "#8" was because I don't believe it to be fair to give such a house a low rating. I did not get scared once in this house but my best friend (in front) and brother (behind) rated this house as #1. I went through this entire house watching my best friend almost cry from fear. This was also one of the most well portrayed houses in the 3 years that I have gone to hhn. I would give it another shot but we're in a recession :p

SCAREZONES

1. Grown Evil
2. 7
3. Acid Assault
4. Nightmaze
5. Your luck has run out
6. The Canyon of Dark Souls

SPECIAL SHOUTOUTS (WITH SPOILERS)

1- To one of the birds in Grown Evil who gave me one of the three aforementioned scares.
2- To the little evil Indian girl with a knife in the Thanksgiving room in Holidays of Horror, she made me scream and run like a 6-year old.
3- To the scareactor in The Forsaken who held his pose for a good 30 seconds before startling me when I least expected it. (with my brother pointing behind me)

All in all, this has been the scariest and best year in my opinion. Even though the scarezones weren't as good as previous years they were still pretty good. The houses took a huge leap in my opinion, especially with the detail and environment.

Thanks! :wave:

#7= Nightingales: This haunted house perfectly displayed the war trenches that we learn about in history class. My only complaint of this house was how loud it was but i guess that's how war is? The costumes were great and so were the scares but I think i had bad timing because I only got scared about 3 times

Yea, but it was too loud, it actually hurt.

ONCE AGAIN A HUGE FAN OF HHN!!! My review of this years fantastic HHN!

So I have been going to HHN since HHN Sweet 16 only missing year of Carnival of Carnage and since Sweet 16 I didn't think any of the years have been that good. Finally Universal brought my fate into HHN b/c every house gave me good scares and even going into some houses a second time!! So onto my reviews. (I went on Oct 7th during the rainy time from 6pm-2am and got to do a few things more than once. Rode every ride and saw both shows.) Thank you rain for making wait times so quick. In the first hour i was done with Forsaken,In Between, Nevermore, MIB and Saws and Steam.

SCAREZONES

1.7: My favorite scarezone of the entire night and probably the best so far for HHN. Scarewise not that scary, but just the actors themselves were spot on with every Deadly sin. Gluttony: Girl with u big curves, rocked it! I loved that her and all of the 7's whenever i came up to them and would shake my booty they would dance with me! Loved it!
Wrath/Anger: I get that you are supposed to be all angry and what not, good job on that, but maybe turn around once for a pic. Her minions though SO SEXY!! I wouldn't mind getting cut up with a chainsaw by them.
Greed: So sweet and so awesome, I just wanted one of those coins LOL.
Envy/Jealousy: Eh...could have been better.
Sloth: Perfect poses for pics and so good.
Lust: OMG Busty Lust was so hot (whoever you are fabulous) The best dancer with me ;) Sorry to not so busty Lust. But I think Lust should have big Boobs.
Pride/Vanity: My Favorite!! Took the best picture with me and just made love to the camera.

Grown Evil
Great concept and I loved how they used Central Park. I always thought there should be some crazy over grown creatures in this area and finally HHN delivered. I think this would be a great scarezone to turn into a House maybe next year!!

Canyon of Dark Souls
More like Canyon of BORED souls. Worst Scarezone ever. I mean it was pointless.

Your luck has run out
Loved it! It was quick and to the point and some good scares in this one.

Acid Assault
The crumbling Buildings the scenery all were very well done. The Effect def works better when its darker outside, even a bright moon can ruin the effect. Which brings me to the point of Rip Ride Rockit. Love that I got to ride the ride, but it going through where a scarezone is just ruins the entire mood. The actors not so scary.

Nightmaze

I take back what I said about Canyon, THIS was the Worst scarezone. My friend and I had better scares trying to get each other behind the walls then the actors. IDK somehow they need to do something and change it up.

Haunted Houses

The Forsaken

I was honestly worried about this one from previous review ppl had. I will def give that the Green Eyes do ruin the scares a bit, but both times I went I got the most scares out of this house from all of them So this would be my second favorite of the night. At the end both times I ran out screaming because they would get me from both sides. Nicely done cast!! Also the Hurricane Room. What an awesome feature, for sure this year is def the wet-tist year ever. Every house I was getting wet and not just from the Rain coming down.

The In Between

This was a good house, I like the concept....but best 3D house? IDK? I didn't know where I was going at points and just too confusing and just not enough Scares for me.

Nevermore

Great set design and I had cast A and Cast B and they were both fantastic. Masquerade girl, dang girl u got me good :) I love how Poe got drunker and drunker each time.

Saws and Steam

Finally a house that did not suck in the Jaws Que! Really well done and once again getting wet. I loved the whole set design. (every house was beautifully done)

H.R. Blooden Gutz presents Holidays of Horror

So far the best Commical house of the past years. It had good scares as well for me. Mr. H.R himself was funny in the beginning b/c I pretended to eat the catering and it was "Poisened" LOL so I was supposed to be dead by the end of the house. :)

The Thing

WORST HOUSE of the year. I just didn't get scared I thought the animitronics were done cool, but no scares just badly set design even if its supposed to be like the movie I didn't feel like I was in it. And the Reg ppl fighting the alien just threw everything off. Blah! Only good part was when the guy cuts his own throat and I got Sprayed in the face with water. That was the only moment I felt like I was in the movie getting blood splattered all over me.

Nightengales Blood Prey

The way this house was made to feel like in the trenches and being so loud was great. I also liked how you felt you were part of the army SPOILER: The one guy shouting to get down then gets eaten by a nightengale with the effect of just half his body left! Best scene there was.

Winters Night

Honestly My favorite house and loved how cold it got. Didn't think I would get scared so quickly. To the Scareactor in the first scene who did give me the thumbs up after I said great job scaring me, awesome Didn't think you were real. Loved it. Got scared so many times. Also went through this twice and wanted to do it even more... Just loved it.

Shows

Death Drums
More like Sexy Drums. I mean who ever did casting for the dancers was pure Genius. The BOYS! Mmmm I wanted to lick every one of them. The GIRLS even though they aren't my thing I would have licked everyone of them as well. The concept of it is neat, but I couldn't understand what song it was. I was at the 9:15PM show if anyone has an idea. Needs more vocals or something, but the dancing 100% great.

Bill and Ted

Better than last year. I think this show is only good if you have a good audience and knows what they are looking at. My favorite was the finale and the LadyGaga/Britney/Niki Minaj sequence, while everyone else was dead in the audience I was shaking my groove thing!

Overall

This was by far one of the Best HHN's I have been to and wish I could b living in FL to go every night. Since Sweet 16 which scared me the most this year did its job as well. Good Job to the actors in all the houses/scare zones and the production team of HHN 21! As for the atmosphere ROCK It is good, but don't put a scarezone in that area, ruins the mood. The merchandise could be better. I bought the Lady Luck shirt, wish that one also had "The House Always Wins" On it, but Its still a nice shirt. THe pin and Shot Glass look awful, lady luck is badly drawn. One final thought "THE BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE"