Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 21 Reviews & Photos

How many times did you get to do The Thing? I had the same thing as you happen to me on my second time through. On my first time however I got almost every scare and it was amazing to go through.

I only got to do Thing once and maybe I am being a bit harsh and a second go would maybe improve it, but didn't get a chance to do it. Was gonna go back on the 8th, but the weather was even worse on Saturday then on Friday so didn't try to go back.

Well, I got back last night, and I can't say enough about the event. All the houses were terrific and they all really blew me away. In Between was definitely my favorite of the bunch. Terrific effects and costumes there. Winter's Night was fantastically themed and I loved the Weeping Angel. I thought the trenches in Nightengales were pulled off perfectly, and the costumes were great. Thing was honestly a little disappointing. It was what I was looking forward to the most, honestly, and I felt like it was one of my least favorites (but honestly, they were all highly entertaining). Forsaken was much better than what people said here. I found it to be great fun. Saws was probably my least favorite. Not that it was bad, but I felt like the cast really wasn't into it when I went through. Nevermore was probably my second favorite house.

As for Bill and Ted, I thought it was great. I dunno why everyone else hates it so much.

Well, I got back last night, and I can't say enough about the event. All the houses were terrific and they all really blew me away. In Between was definitely my favorite of the bunch. Terrific effects and costumes there. Winter's Night was fantastically themed and I loved the Weeping Angel. I thought the trenches in Nightengales were pulled off perfectly, and the costumes were great. Thing was honestly a little disappointing. It was what I was looking forward to the most, honestly, and I felt like it was one of my least favorites (but honestly, they were all highly entertaining). Forsaken was much better than what people said here. I found it to be great fun. Saws was probably my least favorite. Not that it was bad, but I felt like the cast really wasn't into it when I went through. Nevermore was probably my second favorite house.

As for Bill and Ted, I thought it was great. I dunno why everyone else hates it so much.

Cause it sucked compared to most years, and actually it just plain sucked :lol:

But glad you had a great time dude, this year was definitely a new era.

The houses (and some of the zones) have really been kicking into gear since September. Here's just a few quick thoughts and impressions midway through the event:

HOUSES

Forsaken: Growing on me the more I go through it. I see a lot of people hate the glowing eyes but I actually like them. And those wind and water effects feel real nice.

In-Between: Great house, but not every walk-through is a hit. If you're timing is off with the scares, it's a tad underwhelming. I still want to go through at least once without the glasses, but the effects are so cool that I hate passing it up.

Nevermore: I've been excited for this house since it was announced. But I was only expecting it to be "creepy". It's surprisingly intense. The Masque of the Red Death room gets me every time.

Saws N Steam: Took me completely off guard with how great it was. Whoever doubts the Jaws queue after this house needs to be fed to the machine!

HR Bloodengutz: Oh me, oh my! I love this house. Probably the funniest house they've done. I'll never view Arbor Day the same way again.

The Thing: As much as I resent the idea of a Thing prequel, the house is a lot of fun. And the Mary Elizabeth Winstead look-a-like that they cast is lovely.

Nightingales: Probably the scariest house of the year. I haven't felt so intimidated in a house since Dracula in 09. I keep missing the soldier being torn in half, though. I'll catch it eventually! *fingers crossed for an ongoing house series*

Winter's Night: Wasn't expecting much beforehand but I think this house has some of the best scenery HHN has done. There are moments where I actually feel like I'm outside. A simple idea turned into an effective house.

SCAREZONES

7: I thought this was such a generic idea when it was announced. But they put their little creative spin on it and it's a great zone. And as a former Marilyn Manson fan, I appreciate the music selection.

Grown Evil: I've liked this zone since opening weekend. Since then, it's only gotten better. It started off with just a creepy atmosphere but now the actors are getting much more aggressive. And that Silent Hill music... BRB never sleeping again.

Canyon of the Dark Souls: This zone looks crappy from a distance and during the day. But once you're actually in there, all that fog and all of those large scareactors make for a good zone. Short n' sweet and pretty fun.

You're Luck Has Run Out: Yeah... I feel like I'm being really hard on this zone but I just don't like it. I have no problem with the masks or the actors. It's that Howard Dean sound effect that the Lady Lucks make when they pop out. A more demonic sound effect would have been more effective. And the fact that there's several Lady Lucks hanging around together is weird. But whatevs!

Nightmaze: This zone is pretty okay. I've actually had a few fun walkthroughs being blocked off and whatnot. But with the crowds, sometimes it's just squeezing your way around tight corners.

Acid Assault: To me, this is one of the better zones of the year. Wheelchair guy FTW! I hope they bring back those projectors for something else in the future.

Overall, there's not one house that I don't like this year. That's never happened for me before. The scarezones aren't as great as previous years, but there are still some gems. It can only go up from here, right?

I still don't get the fascination people have with 7 but to each there own. BIll and Ted Sucks to many people are saying the same issues over and over. I have gotten numerous texts from people who are at the show or just leaving that feel compelled to text people and tell them how bad this show sucks.

Also the moving of the Wheel and Lady Luck to the front is another typical BS HHN move. the people who went early in the run missed out on this photo op a due to placement and such. People bitched early and it took them how long to move this. If anyone from Universal is reading this FIRE The Writers of Bill and TED!

^I agree with all points, in the past such as HHN 14 they had effect they STARTED the event with and then took away. Now they are ADDING stuff closer to the end of the month.

Granted going early one we got some things they aren't getting now like the bang sticks vs chainsaws at the entrance. But I would have enjoyed a photo op with Lady Luck especially since SAs this year seemed to shy away from pictures more often than in the past.

As far as the garbage known as Bill and Ted this year, UO needs to hire me to help write the show, period. This was pure garbage and I was one of those people who left early.

What I'm wondering is how you would compare it to HOS new show Midnight Hour that does the same thing making fun of pop culture.

They were probably more of the general public and not HHN enthusiats like we are

I took people who had never seen Bill and Ted and they where ready to leave early. And it took 3 weeks to go Oh this is causing Congestion? Also Vyrus yes The Stage Managers ran me off when I tried to get a phot with Lady Luck on the loading dock. I was trying to stand by the dock and you would think i was trying to mount her and ride her like a pony.

When I went on the second Friday of the event, Lady Luck's roulette was by Sting Alley, but there was no Lady Luck actor taking pictures with it and it was still a cluster**** in that area. It might be for the better that they moved it. I'm just sad I didn't get a pic with lady Luck and her roulette since I'm probably not going again this year... As much as I'd like to, timing and money are not working out to go again.

Bill & Ted's likability depends on what type of humor you enjoy. I laughed a couple of times but just because of how stupid the situation was. I saw a lot of people walk out throughout the show, and not just near the end. I did have a couple next to me that seemed to be enjoying it, but it's possible the lady was drunk or high because she was just repeating everything they said and cracking up. I had three kids 13-16 with me and none of them thought it was good or funny. They only just enjoyed a couple of the songs... even one of them even made a comment about the show might be more for adults. I think that the show is not really focused (I guess they wanna say it has something for everyone?). The sex appeal or political stuff are more relevant to adults, but some of the pop culture characters and some of the humor is pretty infantile. Then the whole thing with Bin Laden, I just saw it as a gimmick, like "we're patriotic, like our show!" because there was nothing that funny about the it, to me at least. They don't have a good show, and the sex appeal isn't enough, so let's throw in something patriotic to get people's attention... :shrug:

When I went on the second Friday of the event, Lady Luck's roulette was by Sting Alley, but there was no Lady Luck actor taking pictures with it and it was still a cluster**** in that area. It might be for the better that they moved it. I'm just sad I didn't get a pic with lady Luck and her roulette since I'm probably not going again this year... As much as I'd like to, timing and money are not working out to go again.

Bill & Ted's likability depends on what type of humor you enjoy. I laughed a couple of times but just because of how stupid the situation was. I saw a lot of people walk out throughout the show, and not just near the end. I did have a couple next to me that seemed to be enjoying it, but it's possible the lady was drunk or high because she was just repeating everything they said and cracking up. I had three kids 13-16 with me and none of them thought it was good or funny. They only just enjoyed a couple of the songs... even one of them even made a comment about the show might be more for adults. I think that the show is not really focused (I guess they wanna say it has something for everyone?). The sex appeal or political stuff are more relevant to adults, but some of the pop culture characters and some of the humor is pretty infantile. Then the whole thing with Bin Laden, I just saw it as a gimmick, like "we're patriotic, like our show!" because there was nothing that funny about the it, to me at least. They don't have a good show, and the sex appeal isn't enough, so let's throw in something patriotic to get people's attention... :shrug:

I think they are afraid of being sued....

Other than Lady Luck's scare zone... is anyone else having a problem with supervisors running you away when you try to take a photo? I don't try canyon due to the intense fog and little to no light to even try... (Will try to get some during dusk though soon)

I got some dirty looks from the people at luck's zone when I was off to the side waiting to take the photo... she couldn't chase me away though. Maybe they shouldn't use that for a official zone next year due to the size? I don't remember as many problems with saws n steam last year though.

One issue I have with the lady luck "photo op" out front is they have one person doing so much and they are "Not Allowed" to take your photo if your by yourself like I am many nights... they really need two people for that area to help manage crowds (maybe get ropes to get people to line up on the sidewalk?) and one to be with lady luck herself... Also I noticed one of the mutated lucks was moved from the zone to the photo op area to be with the chainsaws...

No the only Zone I got chased away from the scarector was Lady Luck. The funny part was I waited for a group to go past there was no one in the alley and I started walking toward the loading dock the mutated Lady Luck came at me and looked like she was going to get in the picture and suddenly the Sm came over and said No Pictures. I went what there characters why not and they didn't answer just no Pictures with them. If I was drunk or acting stupid I could understand but they saw us standing there with a camera and knew we where waiting it is BS...

Bill and Ted and the OSAMA thing was tasteless sorry it to me was not funny when they used him and Sadam back at HHN 14 and it was less funny now. Also Anthony Weiner that was a complete bust then the movies they used Sucker Punch, The Green Hornet. I thought we would see The Rock from Fast Five as the car but nope. Also the music to me held no interest since I don't listen to most modern pop music.

No the only Zone I got chased away from the scarector was Lady Luck. The funny part was I waited for a group to go past there was no one in the alley and I started walking toward the loading dock the mutated Lady Luck came at me and looked like she was going to get in the picture and suddenly the Sm came over and said No Pictures. I went what there characters why not and they didn't answer just no Pictures with them. If I was drunk or acting stupid I could understand but they saw us standing there with a camera and knew we where waiting it is BS...

I guess they were being over protective (the person out front even said "she's not a photo op" when referring to the mutated lady luck scare actor running around with the chainsaw minions...

I am keeping my list to myself for now as I feel it will change before the event is over. But just for fun I thought I would share my wife's list
1.Nevermore
2.The Forsaken
3.Winters Night
4.In Between
5.HR Bloodengutz
6.Nightengales
7.Saws and Steam
8.The Thing-This shocked me as the Thing was her favorite at HHN Hollywood. She was very disappointed.

My husband and I went last Sunday night and had a great time. The last time we went was the year they had Hellgate and Castle Vampyre so it had been a long time. We decided we will try not to miss any more years.

I thought all the houses were solid, but I especially liked Winter's Night, Nightengales and Saws and Steam. I loved the scare zones too except for Nightmaze, which we missed, and your luck has run out which just wasn't very good when we walked through.

I got some great scares in the houses and zones all night.

The actor playing HR in the first room of the Bloodengutz house looked and sounded exactly like the actor in the video. Does the video actor perform in one of the casts? I thought it was pretty cool. I chatted with him. LOL

My husband and I went last Sunday night and had a great time. The last time we went was the year they had Hellgate and Castle Vampyre so it had been a long time. We decided we will try not to miss any more years.

I thought all the houses were solid, but I especially liked Winter's Night, Nightengales and Saws and Steam. I loved the scare zones too except for Nightmaze, which we missed, and your luck has run out which just wasn't very good when we walked through.

I got some great scares in the houses and zones all night.

The actor playing HR in the first room of the Bloodengutz house looked and sounded exactly like the actor in the video. Does the video actor perform in one of the casts? I thought it was pretty cool. I chatted with him. LOL

Although somewhat similar, it's a different person. I definitely love that cast's H.R., he's very fun to talk to. :)