Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation | Page 23 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'mmmmmmm for Evil Dead being the IP this year. It just makes sense, IMO.

I dont see it happening for a couple reasons..

1) Knotts had the rights last yr and there is no telling if they still got it...

2) The trailer is beyond gory.. We dont have that kind of gore at HHN if you think about it.. Then again we really dont have gory houses anymore.

I'd love an Evil Dead house, but doesn't Uni usually try to have movie houses for movies that are releasing around the time of the event? I don't think the timing of it all really lines up, unfortunately.

I'd love an Evil Dead house, but doesn't Uni usually try to have movie houses for movies that are releasing around the time of the event? I don't think the timing of it all really lines up, unfortunately.

Well, yes and no. In 2007, there was a Dead Silence house, and that movie came out in March. Also in 2009 they had the Wolfman house, which didn't come out until the following February. So it isn't really too restrictive based on release date.

Well, yes and no. In 2007, there was a Dead Silence house, and that movie came out in March. Also in 2009 they had the Wolfman house, which didn't come out until the following February. So it isn't really too restrictive based on release date.

Wasn't Wolfman pushed back though, also The Thing was released just before HHNs ended.

I'mmmmmmm for Evil Dead being the IP this year. It just makes sense, IMO.

I meantioned this in another thread a while ago, asking if Uni had the rights. If they could, it would be a good draw. New reboot excitement + huge cult classic fanbase = good crowd pulls.

Y'all can dismiss John Murdy's influence all you want, saying it "doesn't help", but when our Silent Hill BLEW yours out of the water (with probably less then half your budget), I think it's safe to say that the real "great" mind of HHN (East and West) is John Murdy. Dude knows his stuff. And if he doesn't, then he completely throws himself into and gets info from fans. He knew little to nothing about Silent Hill, but he took to twitter asking his followers what were the best things to focus on, watched the movies, played the games, understood the concepts and applied it to his work.

Y'all can dismiss John Murdy's influence all you want, saying it "doesn't help", but when our Silent Hill BLEW yours out of the water (with probably less then half your budget), I think it's safe to say that the real "great" mind of HHN (East and West) is John Murdy. Dude knows his stuff. And if he doesn't, then he completely throws himself into and gets info from fans. He knew little to nothing about Silent Hill, but he took to twitter asking his followers what were the best things to focus on, watched the movies, played the games, understood the concepts and applied it to his work.

That's a true creative mind. :cheers:

Agreed completely. I was very taken aback at how little grasp Orlando's house seemed to have on the property.

On a side note I was on the HHN FB page and I noticed Michael and Patrick (mostly Michael) actually commented on a post regarding IP houses. I've really never seen them comment or even post on the page.

On a side note I was on the HHN FB page and I noticed Michael and Patrick (mostly Michael) actually commented on a post regarding IP houses. I've really never seen them comment or even post on the page.

And there you go. Murdy rubbing off on them. Murdy tweets 24/7 and actually DISCUSSES the properties and process with the fans. It's refreshing.

Agreed, ten times over! Murdy is the man and without a doubt a creative genius.

I wouldn't necessarily refer to Murdy as the "great" mind of both East and West. Yes, Silent Hill sucked, and he pulled it off in LA a million times better than Orlando did, but when I think of "Mr. HHN," immediately Roddy comes to mind.
Granted, he's not with Universal anymore, and so technically Murdy seems like the likely runner-up. Just my opinion.

I wouldn't necessarily refer to Murdy as the "great" mind of both East and West. Yes, Silent Hill sucked, and he pulled it off in LA a million times better than Orlando did, but when I think of "Mr. HHN," immediately Roddy comes to mind.
Granted, he's not with Universal anymore, and so technically Murdy seems like the likely runner-up. Just my opinion.

At the same time, Roddy also was part of some of the not-so great years too.

Yep. This is the tour I won from Murdy's twitter contest. Not this EXACT video, but 2011 won a tour of La Llorona, one-on-one. Even got to overhear some pretty interesting talk that I wasn't exactly supposed to hear...

Siriusly? I would kill for that. I bet that was a pretty interesting experience!

At the same time, Roddy also was part of some of the not-so great years too.

Out of curiosity, which ones do you consider "not-so-great?" I think quite a few years are really up for debate. 2009, for example, while a step down from 2008 in terms of creativity, was still a very a strong year in terms of overall theme, event cohesion, strong house lineup, etc.

Out of curiosity, which ones do you consider "not-so-great?" I think quite a few years are really up for debate. 2009, for example, while a step down from 2008 in terms of creativity, was still a very a strong year in terms of overall theme, event cohesion, strong house lineup, etc.

2005, 2006, 2007; and of course, the over-reliance on Jack the Clown. 2008-2009 are some of my favorite years, but Mary's house really dropped the ball. For the Usher, his house relied more on the scenes pulled from the movies than him. Don't get me wrong, I loved the house, but there were some missed opportunities. However, it'd be more nitpicking than anything else.