Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 23 Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I would really love to see some 2008 in the park next year. Crazy detailed scare zones; 8 houses total with most being original ideas; better shows (although I didn't see either show this year so I can't really say "better"). Regardless, the event just needs to get in touch with its past in terms of aesthetics and house concepts, IMO.
There was something about Horror Nights during 2000-2009 that gave it its edge and a type of personality. I feel as though that has all been lost within the past few years.

One could argue that the departure of Roddy had a very significant impact on the event's "personality" (or identity), so to speak. Roddy was heavily involved in 2008-2009, and his absence has been felt.

One could argue that the departure of Roddy had a very significant impact on the event's "personality" (or identity), so to speak. Roddy was heavily involved in 2008-2009, and his absence has been felt.
Well I would say that there are many factors that go into what is currently making HHN what it is from what it was...Roddy did have a hand in one of the best years at Howl-O-Scream as well..2003. I think in 2000-2009 the team had less constraints on them then they do now. Once something grows to an immense popularity it is normally watered down to 'keep' appealing to the masses..unfortunately that means to the point where we as fans just don't enjoy it anymore...Roddy however is a genius for sure..but the team that brought the terror is still there
I compare it to the Steve Davidson thing at Disney..everyone thinks he was the one that had everything to do with every element of World of Color and other spectaculars when this is not the truth..there is a team that helps develop a show of that magnitude..Davidson does have a major hand in the productions for sure, but he is not the only one..
The team is still perfectly capable of creating content that can scare..marketing/Comcast just needs to stay out of it..or learn to work with the team better

Anything is possible though and I am curious to what you mean by limited space of the event?

Meaning No Amity, crowds high in the Transformers area assuming it's open, not using the parade building like was originally planned. That leaves Disaster and the 2 tents other than the soundstages.

EDIT: Not to mention the Springfield expansion which could taken even more space away. I think we'll see 2 parks next year.

Last edited:

Yes! To me, Roddy will carry the memory of a better Horror Nights event. Definitely not the same.
I realize what has been sacrificed in the past year at the park in terms of space, and also Comcast taking over, which all seemed to affect HHN negatively. I'm hoping they pull through for next year and get back on track.

Roddy was kind of a douche, and was just a creative director. Think of him like a film producer. He did not have final say on any concepts, only input.

Roddy was kind of a douche, and was just a creative director. Think of him like a film producer. He did not have final say on any concepts, only input.

Quite the bold statement from someone who I'm guessing didn't personally know him (not saying I do). Roddy was paramount in advocating many of the things hardcore fans like to see - i.e., icons, world-building, show scenes in houses, atmosphere.

Quite the bold statement from someone who I'm guessing didn't personally know him (not saying I do). Roddy was paramount in advocating many of the things hardcore fans like to see - i.e., icons, world-building, show scenes in houses, atmosphere.

I met him on multiple occasions. I would not make such a bold statement if I didn't have backing.

I met him on multiple occasions. I would not make such a bold statement if I didn't have backing.

That's a shame. The people I know who have met him had nothing but nice things to say. Regardless, my point on what he advocated for remains valid.

Regardless one person does not make up an event and the lack of the feeling one likes in the event or personality is likely not gone from the one change.

There were years before and after certain people that one may find good. You just have an event that is growing so much larger than it was in those years and they jump with experimental changes on a bigger scale and go for big property names because synergy is going to happen. Then when you get a bigger team those little nuances start going away.

He wasn't as nice as Aeillo..but not a douche..I believe he works for Disney now right? I also believe he does part time work for HOS as well.

When I met him in a non-HHN environment he was completely different. Much warmer personality. I don't think he works with HOS anymore, I know he worked on Hyper Space Hoopla. All the times I met him at Universal, especially while acting he came off as douchey.

When I met him in a non-HHN environment he was completely different. Much warmer personality. I don't think he works with HOS anymore, I know he worked on Hyper Space Hoopla. All the times I met him at Universal, especially while acting he came off as douchey.

Well in his defense, he probably deals with a lot of crap. I mean some of the fan boys can be a little over the top, annoying, and straight up disrespectful.

I love me some John Murdy. Man pours his entire soul into his work out here and does it with relatively little funding (compared to Orlando). Blood, sweat, and tears. Even when I'm slightly disappointed with an event (like this year's), that man gets my respect.

I love me some John Murdy. Man pours his entire soul into his work out here and does it with relatively little funding (compared to Orlando). Blood, sweat, and tears. Even when I'm slightly disappointed with an event (like this year's), that man gets my respect.

Murdy is awesome! I follow HHN:H Twitter just because how much he loves the event and how he doles out information year round.

I know on Facebook one of the HHN Fan Sites noted that the website updates to show a wall with a barb wire fence with a sign saying do not enter, trespassers will be prosecuted. But it had the LegendaryTruth logo on it. I saw it on my phone, but it has since been taken down & is back to a normal post-HHN website.

I hope HHN 23 is better than 22. Hated almost everything I saw. Best houses were the HHN originals (House of Horrors was best). Penn & Teller was the best of the "property" houses. Walking Dead sucked, and that's coming from a fan of the show. Note: I went the 1st Saturday, but all of the actors were out in plain sight and all had plastic masks. They really need to switch back to makeup. Plus was I the only one that saw Nurses (Silent Hill) in other houses (Alice Cooper, Walking Dead, & Dead End)?

I think the two are not different so to speak. Legendary Truth will be the new Horror Unearthed. Same team behind it.