Halloween Horror Nights 25 Discussion | Page 141 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 25 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You are right.

And imo, Universal is severely under-selling their parks, AP's should probably start at around $300 minimum (but don't tell them I said that...). I do wonder what type of ticket restructuring they will do once VB opens.

Agreed. When Disney gets $450 for resident renewal (ballpark number), $300 would still seem a bargain.

Reactions: Nick
So trying to wrap my head around it but why Universal want to thin crowds out for HHN? More crowds essentially means more $$$ and isn't that really the end game for Universal? I get it from a guest point of view as well as an team member point of view and the struggle the larger crowds can bring but I would have to think Universal wants to bring in as many guests as possible right?
It's not to thin crowds as much as thin out the people who aren't really doing much but taking pictures and walking around. Going through a few houses every night.

Essentially the fanboys that don't spend money.

Reactions: Clive
Agreed. When Disney gets $450 for resident renewal (ballpark number), $300 would still seem a bargain.
Disney does have 2 more parks to fall back on of course (albeit one is a complete mess), but if VB is added at least to Premiere, then we're really talking.

Theoretically couldn't they make some of that up in merch, food and drink from those averaging $5 a night and that is where the real money is made?
These guests are like APers though... most go for the entertainment and don't spend much money outside of their first visit when they'll maybe buy a shirt or something.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I've said for years that Frequent Fear Pass and Rush of Fear need to be dialed back significantly, or in the case of the latter, eliminated. (The argument was in my open letter some time back.) Instead, I think they need to focus on out of town visitors with weekend passes. That's where the money is.

We're going to need 10 houses, ideally more streets, and additional rides.
That's easy to say if your not a local. The reality is though they will probably just stick to increasing about $10 every year. Getting people in the park is what makes them money, doesn't matter if it's out of town or locals. Drastically raising the prices to thin out the crowds is the last thing Universal wants. Crowded parks mean bigger food/drink sales and a greater demand for express passes. What they are doing is working beautifully for them they're not going to mess that up.

Reactions: anihilnation
These guests are like APers though... most go for the entertainment and don't spend much money outside of their first visit when they'll maybe buy a shirt or something.
My food/drink spending last year was around $500. Of course even if these people aren't spending anything at all they are helping to create a demand for express passes for others.

It's not to thin crowds as much as thin out the people who aren't really doing much but taking pictures and walking around. Going through a few houses every night.
Essentially the fanboys that don't spend money.

Gotcha, that I can understand. Would be really curious to see numbers on guest spending but that will never happen :lol:

My food/drink spending last year was around $500. Of course even if these people aren't spending anything at all they are helping to create a demand for express passes for others.
I'm sure many spend large amounts. The problem becomes when people use the event as a giant after work hangout/meetup spot for the entirety of the event and spend little to no money.

Its probably still to early to know crowd-wise what is going to actually happen this year since we are only 2 days into it. This thread got kinda hijacked perhaps someone should create a separate thread for discussing the crowding and possible ticket price changes.

Reactions: anihilnation
Its probably still to early to know crowd-wise what is going to actually happen this year since we are only 2 days into it. This thread got kinda hijacked perhaps someone should create a separate thread for discussing the crowding and possible ticket price changes.
Well it's a Monday with not a HHN until Thurs. If you want to bring another topic up then go ahead, we're more/less just commenting on some observations. The only real topic here is HHN. :cheers:

I'm sure many spend large amounts. The problem becomes when people use the event as a giant after work hangout/meetup spot for the entirety of the event and spend little to no money.
Like I said even in that situation those extra people are helping to create a demand for express passes, so Universal still wins. I would guess though that the vast majority of frequent fear guests are spending money every day they are there. After all if they are using it as an after work hangout they are probably more likely to relax and spend money, as opposed to the out of town guests who only have one weekend or maybe only one day and are going to make sure they see everything even if they have to skip a meal or some time relaxing at the bar.

I'm pretty pumped for this weekend now. I just hope it's not as hot as it is down here in Miami right now. I feel like I'm getting cooked out there.

I would be disappointed if Rush of Fear disappeared, because that is what I use for my trip every year. I pay $200ish for 3-4 nights with express. It saves me a ton of money from individual night tickets with express. I could probably stomach having to upgrade to FF w/ Express or FFP w/ Express, but it would definitely make HHN go from an annual thing to a thing I do when I find the lineup extremely compelling. I'd feel much more comfortable with a $40-60 price hike because I'd still feel like I'm getting value out of it.

Like I said even in that situation those extra people are helping to create a demand for express passes, so Universal still wins. I would guess though that the vast majority of frequent fear guests are spending money every day they are there. After all if they are using it as an after work hangout they are probably more likely to relax and spend money, as opposed to the out of town guests who only have one weekend or maybe only one day and are going to make sure they see everything even if they have to skip a meal or some time relaxing at the bar.
Yes, money gets spent no doubt, but we all think we spend a lot of money at the parks, but the toursits spend ridiculous - and I mean RIDICULOUS - amounts of money that unless you somehow manage to spend over $1K over the course of your time at the event, you are losing them money. People find a way to spend a whole lot within 1-2 days. When people are in Orlando it's almost as if money knows no limits... they'll pay for any and everything.

Reactions: Clive
I would be disappointed if Rush of Fear disappeared, because that is what I use for my trip every year. I pay $200ish for 3-4 nights with express. It saves me a ton of money from individual night tickets with express. I could probably stomach having to upgrade to FF w/ Express or FFP w/ Express, but it would definitely make HHN go from an annual thing to a thing I do when I find the lineup extremely compelling. I'd feel much more comfortable with a $40-60 price hike because I'd still feel like I'm getting value out of it.

I agree with this completely. I have been going for the last 6(maybe 7) years and each year of the last 4 I have used the Rush of Fear pass. I live about four hours away and I would hate having to get the FFP and miss out on a Saturday. I spend plenty of money while at HHN (on-site stays, food, etc) but I understand that I may be in the minority of RoF users.

All in all, I understand that it is business and is ever-changing, but I think one thing to keep in mind is nothing will ever be perfect. If Universal plugs one of the perceived holes, another one will spring open. I do appreciate the substantial discussion though; I was getting a little tired of the same things being talked about.

All that said, this week is the week I will be attending and was just curious about a few general things that may be a bit off topic:

On HHN nights, is the exit from City Walk that has a path to Cabana Bay open? Last year the waits for the buses were brutal.
Did anyone notice any new food carts this year? Last year it seems as if they changed the chicken tenders that they were serving at the stands with the garlic hot sauce and I am hoping for some additional eats.
Am I mistaken or is Finnegan's the only place to watch any sporting events in the park during HHN?

Thanks guys!

Yes, money gets spent no doubt, but we all think we spend a lot of money at the parks, but the toursits spend ridiculous - and I mean RIDICULOUS - amounts of money that unless you somehow manage to spend over $1K over the course of your time at the event, you are losing them money. People find a way to spend a whole lot within 1-2 days. When people are in Orlando it's almost as if money knows no limits... they'll pay for any and everything.
Lets just say I spend over the course of the event equivalent to what someone spends in one weekend, why would they not want my money and why would they want to create the possibility that that weekend person might not have to buy express. There are also a good number of out of town weekend people who stay at an inexpensive off property hotel, eat at McDonald's on I-Drive and head over and don't spend anything at the event other than admission. I really don't think guest spending is really that tied to out of town vs. local it really works both ways. I'm pretty sure the only time FFP becomes a concern to Universal is if the event sells out.

We're getting to the point where the event is no longer "fun" because of the crowds. We know the ins and outs because we're fans and we analyze this event to death - the average joe tourist does not. When they show up and only get two houses done after waiting for five hours and they can't even find actors in scare zones, they aren't going to be happy. Then you've got bad blood, bad word of mouth, and someone who isn't returning.

Universal DOES need to find a way to thin out the crowds. The park can't sustain these numbers: this was opening weekend. Imagine what's going to happen come Hell Week. Sell-outs are super possible, but believe it or not, I would guess Universal isn't the most interested in sell-outs. Sell-outs mean the foundations of the park get pushed to their absolute limits - and more guests aren't having a good time, meaning they won't get their money again.

You guys can jump through as many hoops as you want about why your money spent justifies the ticket price, but the reality is Hollywood made these moves and Orlando will, too. I frankly don't blame them, as someone who has used the Rush of Fear pass every year since its reintroduction. (Again, I think a weekend pass will replace it.) Universal is currently dramatically underselling their park, and I simply don't believe it'll continue, especially when the other shoe drops on crowds this year. If they max the Studios, and don't want to spend the significantly higher capital to expand to Islands (they don't), they'll find a way to make more money off of less people at the Studios.