Halloween Horror Nights 25 Discussion | Page 167 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 25 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Because all they have to do is re-assemble.... in most cases.

With The Purge, they'd likely do an almost 100% new house seeing as they got screwed this time around. As I said, The Purge 3 is coming out next year too so it would be a relevant fit still.
I guess I've always assumed that the houses are taken apart in a manner that would not allow for simply reassembling them. I've also always thought they're were not constructed in a manner that would make that possible. For example I've always thought they built the walls and framework and then apply the decorative elements over that wall paper, plaster, rock/brickwork, etc. meaning it would be impossible to take the walls apart without destroying that work. If you look at the photo below it really doesn't look like that could be simply reassembled.
QeNNkdN.jpg

Reactions: Cole
I really don't want to see the Purge back. I don't get the big deal with it. It worked great as a scare zone last year and I get the whole Scream deal forced it this year, but is it really so popular that it will start getting TWD treatment?

I guess I've always assumed that the houses are taken apart in a manner that would not allow for simply reassembling them. I've also always thought they're were not constructed in a manner that would make that possible. For example I've always thought they built the walls and framework and then apply the decorative elements over that wall paper, plaster, rock/brickwork, etc. meaning it would be impossible to take the walls apart without destroying that work. If you look at the photo below it really doesn't look like that could be simply reassembled.
That's just one picture so I can't judge how they do things, but they brought AWIL back this year virtually the same and you better bet they didn't remake all of that.

And over at Busch Gardens, normally they only get one new house per year, meaning 6 out of the 7 get disassembled and reassembled year over year. Zombie Mortuary, for example, is the oldest house currently at the event. It's been there since 2011 with very minimal changes.

I really don't want to see the Purge back. I don't get the big deal with it. It worked great as a scare zone last year and I get the whole Scream deal forced it this year, but is it really so popular that it will start getting TWD treatment?
No, but Purge 3 comes out next July was my only point of speculation. There's something to be said about people being hyped off of just seeing the movie and it is a pretty successful franchise.

That's just one picture so I can't judge how they do things, but they brought AWIL back this year virtually the same and you better bet they didn't remake all of that.

And over at Busch Gardens, normally they only get one new house per year, meaning 6 out of the 7 get disassembled and reassembled year over year. Zombie Mortuary, for example, is the oldest house currently at the event. It's been there since 2011 with very minimal changes.
Yeah I really don't have any knowledge either but I just have a hard time believing they spent all these years building houses carefully disassembling them and storing them. Just 3 years at 8 houses per year would mean 24 houses in storage. I'm sure many elements are saved and reused, but I can't see them saving a house outright. With that in mind repurposing those props and other elements saved for a new house would be pretty much equivalent to bringing an old one back. The only savings I see in that would be in the design cost.

I don't mind the purge at all, I also don't think it'll return since it was literally last minute this year (not even in question for most of the year). I think it's a safe bet TWD won't return next year, thank friggin god. I also don't think the conjuring would work very well since it's very scluded in setting and the ghosts are pretty lame. Next year my biggest hope is for nothing to return. Maybe a sequel here or there but all new IPs, all new houses and hopefully a new icon. That's all

Yeah I really don't have any knowledge either but I just have a hard time believing they spent all these years building houses carefully disassembling them and storing them. Just 3 years at 8 houses per year would mean 24 houses in storage. I'm sure many elements are saved and reused, but I can't see them saving a house outright. With that in mind repurposing those props and other elements saved for a new house would be pretty much equivalent to bringing an old one back. The only savings I see in that would be in the design cost.
Well not outright, no. You save the props, major components. I honestly don't know that there's much in current purge worth saving aside from the screens though.

A lot of the houses have faux walls, which you showed being destroyed. I'd believe they destroy the walls. That's stuff that is cheap and can be rebuilt in a few days. Plus, no real sense in saving any house-specific walls since most will likely have a scare window or something.

You're better off just starting from scratch in some cases.

To my knowledge, all houses are redesigned, redrawn each and every year even if they have been featured in years past. The materials database changes every year and all of that must be compensated for. If you look closely at the elevation drawings, there are pointers and diagrams many with specific codes for inventory. Too, some of the props in inventory are huge... not just lamps, chairs and baskets.

I know that many houses around the country save the blank 4x8 or 4x10 wall panels. I don't know if A&D does this however. Hmm...

I know that many houses around the country save the blank 4x8 or 4x10 wall panels. I don't know if A&D does this however. Hmm...
Yeah I've done this in the past for houses I've built. From looking closely at HHN houses it really doesn't seem they follow the typical 4x8 panel method as I don't usually see the seams every 4 feet. I think all the decorative work is done after the frame construction. Making the walls pretty much impossible to reuse, unless they are keeping them in a very large form.

No other Haunt has completely new houses every single year except HHN. Just about every other haunt only has 1, maybe 2 new houses if they're lucky. They HAVE to keep as much stuff as possible because they work on shoestring budgets.

I worked at HHN and HOS as a scareactor. The difference in what they provide for you and quality of the sets is astronomical. I felt like a movie star at HHN compared to HOS.

I don't mind the purge at all, I also don't think it'll return since it was literally last minute this year (not even in question for most of the year). I think it's a safe bet TWD won't return next year, thank friggin god. I also don't think the conjuring would work very well since it's very scluded in setting and the ghosts are pretty lame. Next year my biggest hope is for nothing to return. Maybe a sequel here or there but all new IPs, all new houses and hopefully a new icon. That's all
I wouldn't write off TWD completely. Hollywood's house has been well received and there's a chance this contract was for two years. This year proved TWD isn't necessary to the event at least.

No, but Purge 3 comes out next July was my only point of speculation. There's something to be said about people being hyped off of just seeing the movie and it is a pretty successful franchise.

But if it bombs in July, by September will seem a joke. Plus a lot of bad PR after this year. I agree we'll probably see a repeat 9th house, but I suspect it will be more of a fan favorite.

Reactions: Nick
But if it bombs in July, by September will seem a joke. Plus a lot of bad PR after this year. I agree we'll probably see a repeat 9th house, but I suspect it will be more of a fan favorite.
I'd love to see Winter's Night or Bloodengutz again, but if we're talking originals, I want a sequel to them.

The only original I wouldn't mind coming back without getting a sequel is The In Between. It's what many consider to be the best 3D house of all-time and there's no follow-up needed for it. It's simply a great house... well, any great original fits that, but I think many originals have more story to tell whereas The In Between stands on it's own.

Pretty much would be happy with most of the houses in Mayhem getting a repeat year. Others that would be nice would be Catacombs, Poe, or Hellgate Prison.
Its strange but I really miss the joke houses a lot. Oh also I would like to see some GACs make a comeback, it feels weird not having any this year.

Reactions: SeventyOne and Cole
I would honestly be surprised if it's back again. I say that with some knowledge behind it all.
Oh thank God yes :D

Regarding a potential repeat for next year, I highly doubt they'll do something from this decade or anything that was in M&M. A common complaint on AWIL is that it was too soon to repeat, and A&D won't want to make the same mistake twice. This is if we even get a repeat next year.

Oh thank God yes :D

Regarding a potential repeat for next year, I highly doubt they'll do something from this decade or anything that was in M&M. A common complaint on AWIL is that it was too soon to repeat, and A&D won't want to make the same mistake twice. This is if we even get a repeat next year.
Hellgate seems like the obvious choice if they wanted to bring back something not from this decade.