Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion | Page 142 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 26 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Discussing the website prompted me to mosey on over there. I happened to get a pop-up message asking if I'd be interested in taking a survey about HHN and the HHN website. Nothing too out of the ordinary, but they did have a question dedicated exclusively to the TWD house -- if you're excited for it to be back, tired of it, etc.

Interesting that they are seemingly trying to gauge feelings on it, and I wonder if they do this every year and the majority has been, "TWD never gets old" (the first response option was something along those lines).

Interesting that they are seemingly trying to gauge feelings on it, and I wonder if they do this every year and the majority has been, "TWD never gets old" (the first response option was something along those lines).
I've done several surveys every year for the past few with those TWD questions. It's still hugely popular amongst the general public visiting HHN. With this year being a "best of house" I think it will probably be one of the more popular houses. I'm ready for them to move on, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if TWD sticks around for a few more years. I think the best we could hope for is a clone of the permanent attraction as a way for it to not end up directly in HHN.

Discussing the website prompted me to mosey on over there. I happened to get a pop-up message asking if I'd be interested in taking a survey about HHN and the HHN website. Nothing too out of the ordinary, but they did have a question dedicated exclusively to the TWD house -- if you're excited for it to be back, tired of it, etc.

I took the same one. I found it interesting that the TWD question was so directly asked.

I've done several surveys every year for the past few with those TWD questions. It's still hugely popular amongst the general public visiting HHN. With this year being a "best of house" I think it will probably be one of the more popular houses. I'm ready for them to move on, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if TWD sticks around for a few more years. I think the best we could hope for is a clone of the permanent attraction as a way for it to not end up directly in HHN.

To back up s8film40's statement here, yes this question has been on every survey after 2012's event and is asked in the exact same fashion each time. I fill out the surveys regularly and this one always pops up.

To be honest, we keep hearing that there was a contract in place for x-amount of years, but with TWDA at Hollywood, I am beginning to think whatever was in place has been changed and we will keep getting TWD for a while now.

Reactions: s8film40
To be honest, we keep hearing that there was a contract in place for x-amount of years, but with TWDA at Hollywood, I am beginning to think whatever was in place has been changed and we will keep getting TWD for a while now.
Yeah even if there was a contract for a set period, it's completely irrelevant. It's not like they can't just write a new contract. I highly doubt they started out with a contract to do TWD for 5 years, however I wouldn't be surprised if HHN's contracts more often than not give them an option to use it for a five year period. If for nothing else to keep something like Busch Gardens or Knott's Berry from picking it up the very next year. For example the B&T contract was most recently renewed in 2013 for 5 years this didn't stop Hollywood from cancelling the show and it doesn't mean the show won't continue past 2018.

Yeah even if there was a contract for a set period, it's completely irrelevant. It's not like they can't just write a new contract. I highly doubt they started out with a contract to do TWD for 5 years, however I wouldn't be surprised if HHN's contracts more often than not give them an option to use it for a five year period. If for nothing else to keep something like Busch Gardens or Knott's Berry from picking it up the very next year. For example the B&T contract was most recently renewed in 2013 for 5 years this didn't stop Hollywood from cancelling the show and it doesn't mean the show won't continue past 2018.

Exactly my thought process (although I had never considered KSF or HOS picking up the rights, that's an interesting notion).

Also, to add to why I further believe it will keep returning, look at the IPs at both events this year.

Have you finished looking yet?

Did you notice the difference?

That's right, we get Texas Chainsaw Massacre while they get Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2!

The only other IP they have that we do not is The Purge and someone implied that we were getting that as a scarezone but it was cut to try to be sensitive to recent events in Orlando.

To me that means as long as they have TWDA in Hollywood, we are getting a house here.

Exactly my thought process (although I had never considered KSF or HOS picking up the rights, that's an interesting notion).

The only other IP they have that we do not is The Purge and someone implied that we were getting that as a scarezone but it was cut to try to be sensitive to recent events in Orlando.
I really hope that the Purge didn't get scrapped because of what happened. California had an awful shooting within the past year (San Bernardino - Dec. 2015) and they have no problem using that franchise. My group are all decent fans of the Purge and would have enjoyed to see it again in some fashion (not parkwide though).

Also... Hollywood's TCM is more of an original take on what happened between TCM 1 and 2. So really it is TCM 1.5.

"Year after year fans ask to see TCM (and the other slashers) so we're trying a new idea, creating our own sequels to beloved Horror movies... TCM is a great example. There is a HUGE gap in time between TCM and TCM 2. What happened during that time? Now you'll know..." - Murdy Twitter

Last... Is this thread staying open as a HHN Discussion now? There isn't much left to speculate on.

Also... Hollywood's TCM is more of an original take on what happened between TCM 1 and 2. So really it is TCM 1.5.
Last... Is this thread staying open as a HHN Discussion now? There isn't much left to speculate on.

Yeah, I read that, but it probably all falls under the same license, which was my point. What I am trying to say is, the events are starting to feel very similar to each other based upon the use of licensed properties. Because of this, and to save money, we will probably continue to get East coast vs. West coast versions of the same house because it saves money to have them be bi-coastal. It is a trend I do not relish as it makes each coasts' event less distinguishable from the other.

I mean, there is one big thing left to speculate on, but most would find it boring:

QUEUE LAYOUTS!

Sadly, I actually find this interesting as it helps me plan my evening.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjago13
Yeah, I read that, but it probably all falls under the same license, which was my point. What I am trying to say is, the events are starting to feel very similar to each other based upon the use of licensed properties. Because of this, and to save money, we will probably continue to get East coast vs. West coast versions of the same house because it saves money to have them be bi-coastal. It is a trend I do not relish as it makes each coasts' event less distinguishable from the other.

I mean, there is one big thing left to speculate on, but most would find it boring:

QUEUE LAYOUTS!

Same on that last point.

QUEUE LAYOUTS!

On that note do you think they would add thematic elements to the queues making waiting more bearable?

The back of the MiB building is tailor made for a projection show or even one of the classic movies like Creature from the Black Lagoon, Wolfman, Mummy etc. Seems like a no brainer to have that setup during the 2 hour wait for ST#1. Could add to guest satisfaction at very little cost.

Reactions: Brownie54
On that note do you think they would add thematic elements to the queues making waiting more bearable?

The back of the MiB building is tailor made for a projection show or even one of the classic movies like Creature from the Black Lagoon, Wolfman, Mummy etc. Seems like a no brainer to have that setup during the 2 hour wait for ST#1. Could add to guest satisfaction at very little cost.
It seems like they always add the projectors to the queues the last two weeks. I've never understood why if they're going to put them up why not just put them up at the beginning.

I would hope for the return of queue videos (especially for the originals), but they have not seemed terribly inclined to provide those of late. I really would love these to return as they flesh out what we are about to see in the house and build my anticipation.

There have been a few years where they have just random imagery or pictures from past years projected against various surfaces or soundstages, but as s8film40 noted above, it tends to be further into the event.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I can vividly remember the queue videos from 2004, 2006 and from ANOES in 2007. For me, the videos substantially added to my enjoyment of waiting in the queue and absolutely helped make the houses more enjoyable as well. Really miss the videos.

I can vividly remember the queue videos from 2004, 2006 and from ANOES in 2007. For me, the videos substantially added to my enjoyment of waiting in the queue and absolutely helped make the houses more enjoyable as well. Really miss the videos.

You would think with the emphasis on queues that entertain on the rides that would carryover to HHN. I wonder why they dropped it the last couple of years? Can't be cost, they make a killing running this.

You would think with the emphasis on queues that entertain on the rides that would carryover to HHN. I wonder why they dropped it the last couple of years? Can't be cost, they make a killing running this.
I think it *is* a budget thing. Most people nowadays spend much of their time on their phones while waiting in line. Just because they make a ton of money doesn't mean they're going to spend it haphazardly. I believe they feel the money is better spent elsewhere. I disagree to an extent and really wish they'd bring the videos back. It was one of many reasons that made HHN special to me.

I wouldn't say they dropped this at all. Last year Run had a pretty decent queue video while just about every other house had the standard 25th video.

I wouldn't say they dropped this at all. Last year Run had a pretty decent queue video while just about every other house had the standard 25th video.

I think they could do a lot more, I never noticed anything in Run except for up by the entrance but I didn't spend much time waiting for it ever so maybe there was something more to see.

Me too! Meetz Meats was one of the first queue videos I ever saw and I loved it; nevermind the even more superior HR Bloodengutz which I could have happily watched over and over.

My main concern for this years event is for Ghost Town as I have been told that queue video was amazing and I am expecting them to either bring the exact same video back or make a new one.

In a sense, they have had queue videos, but they are not as widespread or lengthy as they have been in the past. The Halloween and La Llorona projection mapping were technically queue videos, but they were nowhere near the production value of say Cabin in the Woods or Run.

I think it *is* a budget thing. Most people nowadays spend much of their time on their phones while waiting in line. Just because they make a ton of money doesn't mean they're going to spend it haphazardly. I believe they feel the money is better spent elsewhere. I disagree to an extent and really wish they'd bring the videos back. It was one of many reasons that made HHN special to me.

From what I have been told, every year A&D is given a new budget that they are not supposed to exceed. Things like queue videos, IPs, and website extras all come out of that budget. Therefore, they try to best stretch the dollars they have so as to make a great event. I will grant, this information is pre-Comcast days, but I assume it is still accurate (unless someone knows otherwise?)

Reactions: JoeCamel

Sorry to come back to this question again, but (apart from the routing of the queue lines) another thing up for discussion is whether or not there will be some sort of opening scaremony?

Chance's scarezone IS at the front of the park and supposedly she will be a barker somewhere in said zone, so how cool would it be to have her participate in some mini show at the opening before heading back to her scarezone?

Sorry to come back to this question again, but (apart from the routing of the queue lines) another thing up for discussion is whether or not there will be some sort of opening scaremony?

Chance's scarezone IS at the front of the park and supposedly she will be a barker somewhere in said zone, so how cool would it be to have her participate in some mini show at the opening before heading back to her scarezone?

I would have to brave the gates if that happened