Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion | Page 73 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
What fascinates me is this is shockingly uncommon from what I've seen working Horror Nights in Hollywood. American Horror Story had a number of prominent female characters - our Countesses, in particular - which would seem like major targets... but nada. There were certainly isolated incidents in the streets, but never heard about any stalker-like behavior. And this is in the land of paparazzi... perhaps there are bigger fish to fry in LA, whereas Orlando is stuck with its "local celebrities?"

I think a lot of it has to do with the perception of accessibility in Orlando. It's not like Hollywood where everyone is rather jaded and understanding that performers do a job and there is a disconnect between performer and person. On the west coast, when people interact with performers it's all with ingrained understanding that they're performing.

In Orlando that schism is much muddier because it's a tourist town, not a performance town. The success of the performer boils down to their ability to engage the audience in a way that FEELS personal and genuine. When Princess Aurora waves, she's waving AT me because she SEES me. It's not a performance. It's real. It's the "magic" of the Orlando parks (including Universal). For a lot of the more obsessive locals, I think, that sensation breaks them and they lose track of the idea that there are boundaries.

I saw a compelling post on Facebook regarding the woman who plays Chance. She's had hundreds of roles across the southeast. Television, stage, etc. But she will forever be tied to playing a scary clown at a theme park. And most of the people who know her name will only EVER see her as that while refusing to acknowledge anything else she's done. And really, as an amateur performer, I think that has to be a fairly melancholy feeling.

Excellent posts, apologies for the slight off-topic detour, but wanted to let you know I appreciated the conversation.

I like the logo. The other one is a shrine with melted candles with a skull on top.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1496857460989.jpg
    FB_IMG_1496857460989.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 19
I think a lot of it has to do with the perception of accessibility in Orlando. It's not like Hollywood where everyone is rather jaded and understanding that performers do a job and there is a disconnect between performer and person. On the west coast, when people interact with performers it's all with ingrained understanding that they're performing.

In Orlando that schism is much muddier because it's a tourist town, not a performance town. The success of the performer boils down to their ability to engage the audience in a way that FEELS personal and genuine. When Princess Aurora waves, she's waving AT me because she SEES me. It's not a performance. It's real. It's the "magic" of the Orlando parks (including Universal). For a lot of the more obsessive locals, I think, that sensation breaks them and they lose track of the idea that there are boundaries.

I saw a compelling post on Facebook regarding the woman who plays Chance. She's had hundreds of roles across the southeast. Television, stage, etc. But she will forever be tied to playing a scary clown at a theme park. And most of the people who know her name will only EVER see her as that while refusing to acknowledge anything else she's done. And really, as an amateur performer, I think that has to be a fairly melancholy feeling.

Edited to correct typos.

This is some great insight that plays into the "local celebrity" angle. Because they're "local," there's a sense of ownership and and accessibility.

There's also the matter of cost: it is significantly cheaper to see Horror Nights performers in Orlando over multiple nights. Hollywood only has the limited "Killer Deal" nights, which is Frequent Fear Pass-lite. The event isn't really designed or catered for repeat guests.

Then again, you still get some weird scenarios. There was a woman who came through the maze every night like clockwork, knew exactly where I'd be, and would say, without fail, "DANDY DANDY DANDY!" in the same cadence. It did get slightly unnerving, even though it was clear the woman meant no harm.

This is some great insight that plays into the "local celebrity" angle. Because they're "local," there's a sense of ownership and and accessibility.

There's also the matter of cost: it is significantly cheaper to see Horror Nights performers in Orlando over multiple nights. Hollywood only has the limited "Killer Deal" nights, which is Frequent Fear Pass-lite. The event isn't really designed or catered for repeat guests.

Then again, you still get some weird scenarios. There was a woman who came through the maze every night like clockwork, knew exactly where I'd be, and would say, without fail, "DANDY DANDY DANDY!" in the same cadence. It did get slightly unnerving, even though it was clear the woman meant no harm.
How funny. I actually knew one of the Dandy scareactors in AHS, but had no idea they worked there and I felt weird for not being like "Hey" even though I know that's the last thing an actor would want.

How funny. I actually knew one of the Dandy scareactors in AHS, but had no idea they worked there and I felt weird for not being like "Hey" even though I know that's the last thing an actor would want.

Orlando or Hollywood? I'm still friends with my Dandy counterpart out in LA.

Could be interesting if it's the whole dang family.

Not to mention easier to cast. I imagine it was hard enough to find six reasonable "Cindy's" back in 2010. 2006's Screamhouse Resurrection had issues with too many Caretakers populating the maze to the point of comedy. Builds out the cast, gives everyone a chance to reinvent the Caines a little...

Reactions: JungleSkip
Express prices:

$80: September 15; October 4, 30; November 3, 4
$90: September 17, 21, 24; October 5, 18, 31
$100: September 16, 22; October 11, 12, 25
$110: September 23, 29; October 1, 6, 19, 26, 27, 29
$120: September 30: October 13, 15, 28
$130: October 7, 20, 22
$140: October 14, 21

So does this mean 10/20 will be one of the five busiest nights of HHNs? :grimace:

Not to mention easier to cast. I imagine it was hard enough to find six reasonable "Cindy's" back in 2010. 2006's Screamhouse Resurrection had issues with too many Caretakers populating the maze to the point of comedy. Builds out the cast, gives everyone a chance to reinvent the Caines a little...
Which was what they had in the original Screamhouse. It was Albert, his parents in the kitchen, his brothers and sisters throughout the house. Nephews in the basement. The monsters were in the garden.

So does this mean 10/20 will be one of the five busiest nights of HHNs? :grimace:

Anticipated clearly. Check back in the thread, bunch of local county schools probably out that day.

Also, with Halloween on a Tuesday, a lot of 1-night guests come that weekend, save the next weekend for the inevitable parties around town.

So, might be looking into it a bit much, but as discussed on Horror Night Nightmares, in the high res version of the art, the Skull in the logo has heavy detailing on it, ala Dia de los Muertos. Could be part of the theme?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBuljBIUAAAs-MX.jpg
It fits the coloring... and the heavy amount of skulls. But... here's a crazy idea.

What if the icons are the children of La Llorona. The sons she drowned.

Submerged skull -> Drowning victim
Our time -> Two children were killed.
Detailing of the skull -> Day of the Dead
Candles -> Catholic tradition of mourning the dead
Red roses -> Love/Family