Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion

Actors need time as well. Certainly not as much as events ops who deal with a whole bunch of crap, work crazy hours and have a lot expected of them, but some of you guys talk about scare intensity. It takes a little time for some, especially on the streets, to figure out which scares work the best and what doesn't work. It also doesn't help an actor when in the first few days, their costume is constantly being altered and the prop they used is being changed out still so really the entire first weekend is test and adjust even for the entertainment side of thing (actors, costuming, make-up, stage managers, etc, etc).
Agreed. It even seems like SoX was a completely different house on Preview night, with how dark it was. Must've been hard to adjust to in terms of scares when it was so drastically changed.

Only HHN fans can take Aiello saying the event won’t change to become family friendly and think that’s confirmation it is. Incredible.
It already has changed. Maybe family friendly just isn't the right word. I look at it this way, there's been a shift over the last few years away from adult things. I don't think this is to invite children in, but rather get it to a point where if someone brings in their 13yo they won't run to guests services to complain. I think they're trying to make it more suitable to a younger audience even if it isn't recommended for that younger audience.

It already has changed. Maybe family friendly just isn't the right word. I look at it this way, there's been a shift over the last few years away from adult things. I don't think this is to invite children in, but rather get it to a point where if someone brings in their 13yo they won't run to guests services to complain. I think they're trying to make it more suitable to a younger audience even if it isn't recommended for that younger audience.

Holy hell. Did you read Legacy’s post? Could it be that nothing has change much and you’re the one who has changed?

-____-

Since this conversation about variety and change hasn't died down...

dg46aj9h.png

Here... the last 9 years. I've identified a set of 10 "house genres" that are based on atmosphere, tone, nature, and characters found in each of the houses starting in 2010 (and this can keep going). Now, these are arbitrary. Some houses fit multiple genres (Stranger Things is story and fan-service). Slaughter is Gore and Monster. And some years have more variety than others. The point remains the same. The event ALWAYS features a variety.

And you're worried about the event "becoming" family friendly... they did a Fear Factor house in 2002. Fear Factor, the reality competition TV show. That Fear Factor was a house, at Halloween Horror Nights. In 2002. The same year as Screamhouse and Maximum Carnage.

Idk scarecrow wasn't gory but if I had gone through that at 13 I would have been in tears. Gore doesn't necessarily dictate age appropriateness.. Conjuring was rated R and it doesn't really have gore or bad language. Idk I'm pretty desensitized and I feel like every year has been better and better (since I started going in 25) with more and more intense houses. But that's just me.

Idk scarecrow wasn't gory but if I had gone through that at 13 I would have been in tears. Gore doesn't necessarily dictate age appropriateness.. Conjuring was rated R and it doesn't really have gore or bad language. Idk I'm pretty desensitized and I feel like every year has been better and better (since I started going in 25) with more and more intense houses. But that's just me.

yeah gore doesnt mean scary.
to me a change is how the theme or the intensity of the actors can change.
even something as adding more light can make a house less scary, it doesnt have to do with gore.
thats why i found Aiello's tweets funny. a house can have all the rubber gore they want but if the house itself is comedic or if the actors are more playful then it stops being scary.
like slaughter cinema this year, gory, yet goofy.

I would go as far as to say that the Carnival house (although has amazing sets and great actors) feels more light than the others and the actors are a little more playful (due to the nature of the house)

But yeah, you could have gore and still have a lighter house. gore has nothing to do with it.
Dead Exposure has zero gore and it is scaring the hell out of a lot of people. just by intensity alone

-____-

Since this conversation about variety and change hasn't died down...

dg46aj9h.png

Here... the last 9 years. I've identified a set of 10 "house genres" that are based on atmosphere, tone, nature, and characters found in each of the houses starting in 2010 (and this can keep going). Now, these are arbitrary. Some houses fit multiple genres (Stranger Things is story and fan-service). Slaughter is Gore and Monster. And some years have more variety than others. The point remains the same. The event ALWAYS features a variety.

And you're worried about the event "becoming" family friendly... they did a Fear Factor house in 2002. Fear Factor, the reality competition TV show. That Fear Factor was a house, at Halloween Horror Nights. In 2002. The same year as Screamhouse and Maximum Carnage.

Legacy. Allow me to welcome you to the Excel Club. We're glad to have you.

The funny thing is that last year, only half of one of the IP houses was PG-13 or below.

Houses
AHS: TV-MA
The Shining: R
Ash: TV-MA
Saw: R
Blumhouse:
Half of house, Purge and Sinister: both R
Half of house, Insidious: PG-13

Scare-zones
Purge: R
Trick 'r Treat: R

I would go as far as to say that the Carnival house (although has amazing sets and great actors) feels more light than the others and the actors are a little more playful (due to the nature of the house)
I had a SA dance around with me after his scare in the first room of CG, so yeah, I'd say that house has a devilishly playful tone.

On the topic of gore, both Chucky and Vamp zones are full of gore, and StrTh has at least one dead body with vines protruding from their mouth, so I'd say they aren't trying to hide it from the GP.