Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion | Page 407 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
By “acting,” you mean speaking role auditions? It’s a typical theater audition. They bring you in (groups of 10, I think), they ask questions about your performance history, you do your monologue, and hope for a call back. If it’s an improv heavy role, they may have you improv responses “in character.”

Dance auditions - they teach you a routine.

Perfect - exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Legacy!

I remember some actors were upset on fb about how they worked for 5-6+ years at hhn and then didnt get accepted for hhn 27 or hhn28 lol.
Yeah. That happens every year - vets not getting cast. 10-20% of returnees don’t get cast every year.

Performers just talk about stuff now. It’s like guests assaulting performers. A LOT of fans didn’t know/believe it was as widespread as it is until 24-25 when a couple of popular scareactors made very public resignations.

EDIT - A lot of performers feel “entitled” to roles after a couple of years. But if you’re in a casting group and your body type isn’t on that paper for that group, you’re not getting cast.

Reactions: Victoria
Yeah. That happens every year - vets not getting cast. 10-20% of returnees don’t get cast every year.

Performers just talk about stuff now. It’s like guests assaulting performers. A LOT of fans didn’t know/believe it was as widespread as it is until 24-25 when a couple of popular scareactors made very public resignations.

EDIT - A lot of performers feel “entitled” to roles after a couple of years. But if you’re in a casting group and your body type isn’t on that paper for that group, you’re not getting cast.

I've heard a bit more than usual this year of Universal looking for those who could cause issues and not cast them. Seems silly now looking at a lack of staffing around the event. Really wish they weren't on this witch hunt.

Reunion auditions this year were scheduled by height, which allowed a lot more performers to return.

A Beginners Guide to Not Being an A-Hole at Halloween Horror Nights: 2018 Edition – Josh Across the Universe

( scare actor in the Killer Klowns from Outerspace was attacked and beaten by a group of teenagers, A witch in Scary Tales was groped and felt up. An actor playing a pig in the same house was grabbed in the crotch by a guest. same for a Michael Meyers in the Halloween. The actor playing Steve in the Stanger Things house was pinned against a wall by a guest and forcibly made out with. )

wtf.....
Slowly Cringing

I've heard a bit more than usual this year of Universal looking for those who could cause issues and not cast them. Seems silly now looking at a lack of staffing around the event. Really wish they weren't on this witch hunt.
The ones that do cause problems affect things in a big way and take stage managers away from what they really need to be doing though. I know of some bro types this year who would literally plan out visits to health services each night so they could go home early. They still weren’t able to fire them though until they did something offensive to the cast.

People like that not being around makes it easier for everyone. May inconvenience guests since there’s holes, but I’d rather holes than a Stage Manager being bothered by that kind of nonsense.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
Maybe it’s because I missed 27 but went to Hollywood’s 2017 & 2018(as well as HHN28) but this year seemed amazing. In you guys’ opinions was it better or worse than 27? From the videos and what my friends have said the only houses that would compete with this years’ are Scarecrow & Dead Waters(if it had more rooms)
IMO, HHN28 is slightly better than HHN27.

My combined rankings of the houses:
  1. Poltergeist (28)
  2. Dead Exposure: Patient Zero (28)
  3. The Shining (27)
  4. Trick 'r Treat (28)
  5. Horrors of Blumhouse (27)
  6. Stranger Things (28)
  7. Scarecrow (27)
  8. Dead Waters (27)
  9. Carnival Graveyard (28)
  10. Scary Tales: Deadly Ever After (28)
  11. American Horror Story (27)
  12. The Fallen (27)
  13. Seeds of Extinction (28)
  14. Halloween 4 (28)
  15. Ash vs Evil Dead (27)
  16. HIVE (27)
  17. Slaughter Sinema (28)
  18. SAW (27)
  19. Horrors of Blumhouse (28)

Go on?

TrT was a great zone and Festival was fun, but I think the streets this year are better overall.
I agree with this, but I think this year's collection of scare zones is only marginally better than last year's.

1. Poltergeist (28)
  3. The Shining (27)
  4. Trick 'r Treat (28)
  6. Stranger Things (28)
  7. Scarecrow (27)
  8. Dead Waters (27)
  12. The Fallen (27)
  14. Halloween 4 (28)
  16. HIVE (27)
  18. SAW (27)

I agree with this, but I think this year's collection of scare zones is only marginally better than last year's.

I agree with two of your top 3, would switch around TrT and SS, latter of which is my favorite comedy house besides Maximum Madness.

Reactions: Robert Bliss

1. Poltergeist (28)
  3. The Shining (27)
  4. Trick 'r Treat (28)
  6. Stranger Things (28)
  7. Scarecrow (27)
  8. Dead Waters (27)
  12. The Fallen (27)
  14. Halloween 4 (28)
  16. HIVE (27)
  18. SAW (27)

Horrors of Blumhouse (27) posted higher than scarecrow and dead waters.........
ash vs evil dead posted higher than hive and slaughter cinema.....

tumblr_njdk0hWOmE1qjotugo1_500.png

House-wise, I actually think 27 and 28 have proven to be a lot alike:
  • Two general consensus good to great "best" houses (Scarecrow/Dead Waters v. Poltergeist/Scary Tales).
  • Two general consensus dogs (Ash/Fallen v. HoB2/H4).
  • A general lack of consensus as to how good everything else in between is, including a an IP house that effectively recreates a movie while being accused of not being all that scary (Shining v. Trick r Treat) and a TV IP that pulls in new people but a lot of long-time HHN fans are meh on (AHS v. Stranger Things).
Zone-wise, no contest: best non-humor Zone since XX (at least), all-time great humor zone, best selfie zone ever, solid chainsaw horde, and Harvest >>> Altars. 28 wins easily. But, of course, w.r.t. shows, 27 had one great show, one good one--28 just has one bad one.

House-wise, I actually think 27 and 28 have proven to be a lot alike:
  • Two general consensus good to great "best" houses (Scarecrow/Dead Waters v. Poltergeist/Scary Tales).
  • Two general consensus dogs (Ash/Fallen v. HoB2/H4).
  • A general lack of consensus as to how good everything else in between is, including a an IP house that effectively recreates a movie while being accused of not being all that scary (Shining v. Trick r Treat) and a TV IP that pulls in new people but a lot of long-time HHN fans are meh on (AHS v. Stranger Things).
Zone-wise, no contest: best non-humor Zone since XX (at least), all-time great humor zone, best selfie zone ever, solid chainsaw horde, and Harvest >>> Altars. 28 wins easily. But, of course, w.r.t. shows, 27 had one great show, one good one--28 just has one bad one.

I like DE2 much better than ST4, TBH.

Reactions: ChaseTuff
ScaryTales is in no way a general consensus great house. I know a lot of people who don’t like it and in all of my runs, I’ve never actually gotten scared.

DE’s gimmick wears off quickly after a few runs, too. First few runs were great, but once you’re used to the constant strobe effect, the disorienting feeling is gone and it’s just Black walls that I notice now.

Reactions: TDBLMT
From the outside, Poltergeist is the only arguably "all-timer."

Considering that some years go without having one (26), I’d say that’s good, as long as most of the other houses don’t suck (as seemed to be the case with Gothic). Truth is, I’m amazed that there is a consensus GOAT with 10 houses.

^^Again, most of the problems some people have with DE2 are problems I had with DE1. For whatever reason, I'm able to appreciate the effect now. :shrug:

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaseTuff
Speaking of year-to-year, I've found that I treat events as a collection of moments. Since I've started going to local haunts, my perception of HHN has changed. I treat it more like a "Food and Wine Festival" of horror instead of an end all/be all Halloween event. Sure, theres a lot of lines and its expensive and the guests can be obnoxious and 80% of the time you can find a longer, better house for a better value if you know where to look, but there are gems in certain places (Poltergeist, Scarecrow last year, Vamp '55, etc.). I keep going to the event and tolerating all my issues because of these gems. I'll remember a specific scarezone or house over a specific year.

It definitely deserves to be above Hive, which was a sleeper, as in it sent me to sleep.

lol even some the cast of ash vs evil dead was disappointed in their house by the end, and not only would have the shortest waits overall, it had the lowest word of mouth of the event and the house with the most actors missing at some point. by the end going through the house was depressing from the lack of energy and the missing spots :lol::lol::lol:
sometimes even with the wait time being 10 minutes, ffp people would be like "eh.... lets do something else"
overall the house was a disappointment and it kinda failed. i get that people hate Hive and you can call it boring, but the house was not a failure like Ash vs evil dead ended up being.
you might have had a bad run during Hive or you might think the subject was boring or that the sets were not that great, but the house delivered on its premise, it delivered on the scares, the house was a great replacement for what was supposed to be done and the vampires looked great. the vampires also acted great and they were really into it.
i can understand why someone would not like it, but i think the house was at least much better than Ash Vs.

DE’s gimmick wears off quickly after a few runs, too. First few runs were great, but once you’re used to the constant strobe effect, the disorienting feeling is gone and it’s just Black walls that I notice now.

i think ive done it 3 times and by the third time the strobe effect has no impact on me at all and im used to it now and now i get to see the sets fully and thats why i can see how bare and minimalist the house is.
I do know and i realize that most people that love it and most people that rate it high is because of the intensity of the actors, the disorienting effect the strobes have and the big scares the house gives. I fully get why some people are super freaked out when they leave the house and why someone would rate it the scariest house of the event or the most intense.

Reactions: SeventyOne
lol even some the cast of ash vs evil dead was disappointed in their house by the end, and not only would have the shortest waits overall, it had the lowest word of mouth of the event and the house with the most actors missing at some point. by the end going through the house was depressing from the lack of energy and the missing spots :lol::lol::lol:
sometimes even with the wait time being 10 minutes, ffp people would be like "eh.... lets do something else"
overall the house was a disappointment and it kinda failed. i get that people hate Hive and you can call it boring, but the house was not a failure like Ash vs evil dead ended up being.
you might have had a bad run during Hive or you might think the subject was boring or that the sets were not that great, but the house delivered on its premise, it delivered on the scares, the house was a great replacement for what was supposed to be done and the vampires looked great. the vampires also acted great and they were really into it.
i can understand why someone would not like it, but i think the house was at least much better than Ash Vs.

i think ive done it 3 times and by the third time the strobe effect has no impact on me at all and im used to it now and now i get to see the sets fully and thats why i can see how bare and minimalist the house is.
I do know and i realize that most people that love it and most people that rate it high is because of the intensity of the actors, the disorienting effect the strobes have and the big scares the house gives. I fully get why some people are super freaked out when they leave the house and why someone would rate it the scariest house of the event or the most intense.
See, for me, the intensity hasn’t been there. Maybe I’ve just had some bad runs? Admittedly I haven’t done it as much as some others.

In failure (it was in my Top 3 personally for 27) it had more flash and character than HIVE did which is one of the most plain houses for me in recent memory.