Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Having attended the event quite a few times this year and having myself and my girlfriend fill out the guest feedback on park exit there was a few things I did notice/overhear that kept popping up that I think will help shape the event next year.

1. Complaints about lack of handy pop up food stalls compared to previous years. I know they moved alot of speciality food to quick service restaurants this year but it seems alot of people weren't keen to seek them out. I imagine next year there will be some more options depending on the one or two park plan.

2. In one of the questions in the feedback my girlfriend was asked what sort of show at the event she was more interested in - naturally she put bill and ted but alot seemed to prefer how quick you watch AoV. Over heard a couple talking about how hill and ted after queuing, watching, exiting it can be over an hour of your night gone and when the event shuts at 1am and with queues regularly hitting 45+mins it ate up alot of time.

3. People were confused by the theme this year, people like an overarching theme to tie it all together. I expect next year there will be an icon, something simple like a Cindy/eddy just to give it all some story.

4. It was busy this year, alot of feedback on the amount of express passes sold and how it slowed the lines alot. At points getting through invasion was almost a stand still, on some nights the actors just stood off to the side for their own safety but having the event spread over the two parks could help that I guess.

5. Alot of the general public seemed to love Saw. I know reviews from the enthusiasts are less than favourable but over hearing people coming out they seemed to love it. It almost consistently had the longest wait time of any of the houses. Leads me to think IT would go down the same way next year if they had it. That big draw for the general public that really gets the numbers in.

6. I did see alot less drunk people than in years previous, I know comcast will be happy with that but I can't help but think they must have made alot less money this year on the alcohol front. Bar queues were never that long and I never saw anyone at the spirit bar just by invasion.(win for me).

7. The originals seemed to be a huge hit this year and can't help but think if an IP falls through in the future they will continue turning it into an original, I.E. Hive. Dead waters, fallen and scarecrow seemed to get great reviews from everyone. On this front I think the house line up was easily up there with the strongest line up in a while. With the exception of ash vs evil dead, which I don't think worked and the general public just weren't interested in the rest all seemed to get good reviews.

Taken that into account and the general fatigue for some IPs, I think 2018 could have more originals than IPs for the first time in a while.
IPs
IT
Stranger things
Blumhouse - focus on paranormal activity and ouja.
Conjuring - need a big house for a facade, I missed it this year. The house would be full of the Nun from the movie releasing in 2018 and Annabelle as well.
(if they do 10 houses next year to cover the loss of bill and ted then I can see it being a 5/5 split of originals and IPs. With the final IP house being either Strangers 2 based or Predator/alien.)

Orginals

On this front I can see a 3D house returning possibly under a Christmas/Holiday theme. Have to dust off that vortex tunnel.
Gothic making a return which is more of a wish than anything concrete.
Would like to see an alternate history house like wolfenstein, where the nazis won with all sorts of weird and wonderful experiments.
Can see them using some space themed sets like interstellar terror as it's been a little while.
Zombies and vampires seem to have been done alot lately so wouldn't be surprised to see them missing next year.
A new creature creation possibly inspired by the fisherman's wharf scarezone from last year possibly mashed up with pirates.

Shows
I think AoV will make a return next year and finish what they couldn't this year with the broken stage.

No direct replacement for Bill and ted unfortunately but something small on a pop up stage in that area with crowd interaction. Maybe a magician like a few years back or a mentalist, something small to eat up a bit of crowd.

This is mostly all guess work and hopeful thinking but hey ho.

Reactions: JMalez
With ST, I’m still trying to think of how you could put enough material for a whole house. You would obviously have the Christmas lights room with Joyce standing there ala Wendy in Shining, as the lights flicker, the Clash blares, and the demagorgon reaches through the walls.

Also the Hawkins lab.

Is this HHN related or permanent walk thru attraction related? It's obviously for Stranger Things.

I wanna start two dumb rumors and see if they end up on the UOAP group. :dance:

1. Bill and Ted is going away as a show because it’s being turned into a scarezone
  2. HHN28 will be at Volcano Bay due to the construction at USF
Go forth and spread my jokez!

Is this HHN related or permanent walk thru attraction related? It's obviously for Stranger Things.

It’s a social media joke they posted on the day ST2 was released.

Two definites:
AHS: Cult
Blumhouse: Vol 2 (Halloween, Happy Death Day, maybe Purge :horse:)

Four of six:
IT-Chapter 1 (not sure if they decide to wait til 29 to just do it all in one go or they split it)
Stranger Things
Rick and Morty
Poltergeist (original)
Last of Us
Conjuring (they might take another crack at it—I know it took them two attempts with AWIL)

And three originals:
NightinCombs (I can hope can’t I?)
?
?

Reactions: MattA
^Add Blumhouse Vol 2 (w/ Happy Death Day and Halloween) and R&M to that list and oooh lord.

The one problem I could see with that: ST and It could end up requiring an abnormally high amount of short actors.

My Wishful thinking...with locations.
Blumhouse Vol.2-(Happy Death day, Get Out, Halloween) MIB Tent
AHS: Cult. SS 21
Stranger Things. SS 21
Rick and Morty. Shrek Theatre
The Last Of Us. SS 24 B
Conjuring. SS 22
Original: Sprung Tent 1
Original: SS 24 A
Original: Sprung Tent 2

My Wishful thinking...with locations.
Blumhouse Vol.2-(Happy Death day, Get Out, Halloween) MIB Tent
AHS: Cult. SS 21
Stranger Things. SS 21
Rick and Morty. Shrek Theatre
The Last Of Us. SS 24 B
Conjuring. SS 22
Original: Sprung Tent 1
Original: SS 24 A
Original: Sprung Tent 2

Uh... Shrek still alive?

Thoughts on speculation ...

It -- Thought @Legacy or someone else with inside info said King still has some rights, will block after they pushed ahead with The Shining this year? Sure Creative and Marketing would love it but I don't think King will play ball.

Conjuring -- doubtful whatever legal issues killed it this year will be resolved by Spring. Again, sure Universal wants it, but I don't think they get it.

AHS -- I suspect either a tent for Cult (all clowns and space-monkeys--in fairness, the clown designs are terrifying) or a 7-season megahouse. Depends if they learned their lesson from TWD.

Stranger Things -- rights should be easy to obtain, brings that cool kid street cred the event seemed to lack this year. Could probably move some merch as well. Would let them reskin and reuse the wolf puppets. Closest thing I see to a lock.

Dual Park Set-up -- IoA couldn't handle crowds 14 years ago. Seuss is off-limits, have to walk on eggshells with anything in Marvel and Potter. And the move pisses off day guests, by extension hurts CityWalk dinner crowd. I don't know that the hassle is worth increasing capacity for a few thousand extra multi-night ticket holders. Raising prices seems the smarter, easier move.

71's Wishful Thinking
  • Any Universal classic monster house, but particularly Creature from the Black Lagoon
  • Trick r Treat or Vamp 55 house
  • Any house from 2011 as the repeat/"remix" house
  • Ghostbusters show or house
  • Jello shots

Given Legacy’s post, I think:

SS21–It (if King allows them the rights. If they don’t put ST in this spot.)
SS22–Stranger Things
SS24(A or B)—Original (please Nightingales 2 please...maybe they were the real reason the Donner Party went missing? :) I’m gonna repeat, I’d love a Catacombs crossover.)
Simpsons tent 1–Original
Simpsons tent 2 (they seem to prefer putting IPs in this tent)—AHS: Cult
MIB tent—Blumhouse Vol 2 (Happy Death Day, Get Out, Halloween)

Thoughts on speculation ...

It -- Thought @Legacy or someone else with inside info said King still has some rights, will block after they pushed ahead with The Shining this year? Sure Creative and Marketing would love it but I don't think King will play ball.

I was one of those when the house was announced - BUT it was later made clear around August he may not have much of a say.

Stephen King is Taking Back the Rights to Some of His Biggest Horror Stories! - Bloody Disgusting

Reactions: SeventyOne
Can all streets just be Trick 'r Treat next year, cause that would be great.

I agree, I'd prefer the streets to be more theatrical and dressed up and the houses to be more disorderly - like Scarecrow was this year.

If Universal were to learn from this year's event they would:

1. Take the ending of Blumhouse and apply it to other houses. That level of chaos is what every house should feel like at this event. Surprising and terrifying.

2. Make more houses have the rough/unrestrained look and feel that Scarecrow did. It's clear that it's a proven formula after HHN 26 & HHN 27's best house were from the same tent. It almost makes me think that if this house were in an SS it wouldn't work. They inadvertently had to make the maze tight, which is the reason it works so well.

3. Replicate the aura of Trick R Treat throughout the park. Can you imagine the beauty of Trick R Treat through the streets of New York? Talk about jaw-dropping potential. Big theatrical entrances to the houses are a must; and big, beautiful, grand, scare zones are what the people want more of.