Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 256 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think I'm sick of all the announcement announcements. I'm gonna go play outside. Go see Endgame. It's brilliant.
Completely agree. Saw it yesterday morning and the whole audience gave it a standing ovation once finished (unheard of in the UK). Going again tomorrow night, and cannot wait!

Announcements will drop when announcements will drop.

Hello everyone, I would like some guidance on the topic of theme park design. It has been my dream ever since I was 10 years old to design theme parks. I excell at art on the computer, such as photoshop and graphic design work. On paper, I am not the best though. I am currently enrolled to attend UCF in the fall of 2019. I was interested in taking architecture, but now I feel that architecture may not be the side of theme park design I want to be on. I want to be as creative as possible with my ideas and artwork. Should I pursue graphic design? Or maybe a set design degree? Maybe a minor in entrepreneurial business? I would like to intern at Universal while I attend UCF. What degree should I pursue that will assist me the best in landing a theme park design job?

Hello everyone, I would like some guidance on the topic of theme park design. It has been my dream ever since I was 10 years old to design theme parks. I excell at art on the computer, such as photoshop and graphic design work. On paper, I am not the best though. I am currently enrolled to attend UCF in the fall of 2019. I was interested in taking architecture, but now I feel that architecture may not be the side of theme park design I want to be on. I want to be as creative as possible with my ideas and artwork. Should I pursue graphic design? Or maybe a set design degree? Maybe a minor in entrepreneurial business? I would like to intern at Universal while I attend UCF. What degree should I pursue that will assist me the best in landing a theme park design job?

Work at the parks and network. That’s more important than your degree.

Is that to say I can study whatever I want and it will have little to no effect if I get a creative job at the parks? As far as I know, you need atleast a bachelor's degree to be a creative director. Atleast that's why the Universal Orlando website says.

Is that to say I can study whatever I want and it will have little to no effect if I get a creative job at the parks? As far as I know, you need atleast a bachelor's degree to be a creative director. Atleast that's why the Universal Orlando website says.
This isn't the best place to ask. Research it and do what it says. Talk to UCF about it after all that is what a guidance councilor is for. Maybe go to Universal Orlando and talk to the employees about it and what they did. Also working at the parks will help but it’s never a bad thing to get an education.

Last edited:
Reactions: RevFreako
Though this isn't really the thread for it...

If you are interested in "theme park design," specifically (ie - designing parks /rides themselves), graphic design won't really help. Theater/set design or industrial design is far closer to where you want to look at. Architecture and various engineering fields help too. It's important to remember that, in the theme park industry, the best designs are practical designs.

If you're looking into theme park entertainment design (like what A&D does), then set/theater design is a good choice.

Graphic design is used in the parking, but mostly in a supplementary way.

All of that is the "right" answer. The "true" answer is build the best portfolio and...

Unless the job qualifications specifically state the type of degree required, any degree will do. Yes.

Recognize that nothing beats experience. That’s why a great portfolio is the best thing to focus on. Most of Universal’s design team started as front line workers and performers, got experience and developed connections, then eventually got to where they are now. I know an Imagineer who got his position from “off the street,” but he had an engineering degree and had worked in theme parks for a few years before getting the opportunity.

You graduate magna cum laude with a degree in “theme park design,” and never get the job if your portfolio is weak. You can have a doctorate but never get hired as a creative director in a theme park if you don’t have an experience in that specific field.

It’s not impossible. But know there is no “easy in.”

There's a school in Sarasota called Ringling College of Art & Design. They have a program that is specifically focused on theme park design or as they call it, Theme environment design. What held me back from going there was that it's extremely expensive. Around 48K a year to go to that school.... Yeah, the school offered scholarships but it didn't cover much of the cost. But if you have the money for it or don't really care about how much your college debit is going to be, then look into that school. Architecture is also a good program to look into, but I have to be honest.. you have to like it or else you're going to hate it. The reason you have to like it is because the work load will become over whelming at times. It's a lot of building physical models or digital models, using Sketch up, AutoCAD or Revit, and a lot of hand drafting drawings like elevations, cross-sections, obliques (3D), and perspective views. Also, like Legacy said, you need to have a outstanding portfolio to get jobs like at theme parks, firms , or to even get accepted into a Bachelors or Masters program.