1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

Discussion in 'Halloween Horror Nights 29' started by Brian G., Nov 4, 2018.

1. Legacy

Legacy Veteran Member

Depending on what you want from your horror event, it either already is or never will be.

Darko, Kinchkinet85, rinacee and 3 others like this.
  2. DannyPowers

DannyPowers Veteran Member

Point taken. There’s definitely been a bit of a shotgun approach to IPs the last few years. I don’t know if 1-2 is the sweet spot though. If that were the case, we probably would have missed out on some good second tier properties (Trick ‘r Treat, 1k Corpses, Klowns)

JM-BENT likes this.
  3. JungleSkip

JungleSkip Premium Member

Trick r Treat is the only one of the three I would have missed, tbh

SeventyOne likes this.
  4. kingmantis

kingmantis Rookie

I think there's a clear formula for why we get 5-6 IPs a year, and too many people assume that IPs only exist because the HHN team has a gun to their head from the higher-ups. I think in reality 1-3 comes from marketing/management/etc., and the other 3 are ones A&D want to do (I think these are the ones you mentioned). Sometimes these overlap, but the problem is if they don't, then there's 60% of your house count right there.

Also people really need to stop insisting that nobody wanted Us. It's the 9th highest grossing film of the year domestically, second-highest grossing horror, and highest grossing original. Just because you may not be a fan of it doesn't mean there isn't an audience.

5. JungleSkip

JungleSkip Premium Member

I actually quite like the movie. Just clearly shouldn't have been at the event this year, especially when it was a rush job.

6. OhHaiInternet95

OhHaiInternet95 Veteran Member

There's been plenty of nights this year when crowd levels were quite manageable, thankfully. Lord knows if they can keep having IPs that draw in big crowds, though. I predict the three headliners next year will be ST (all three seasons + preview of 4), FMTW and H5.

7. kingmantis

kingmantis Rookie

Fair enough, sorry, I'm just exhausted from the constant debate over it. I agree that the rush job hurt it due to the last minute deal. Actually, the constant mix of finnicky rights issues and and an event always on a time crunch is a totally fair criticism of IPs.

Definitely, I even managed to get what amounted to two solo runs through Depths. Probably why I liked the house so much even with it being a hot mess. That being said, low crowds now were the packed nights 10 years ago, and I doubt those will ever come back consistently.

8. OhHaiInternet95

It's definitely more crowded now, but people are acting like you went through houses alone back then when that's just not true.

Still think discussion is overall more positive than last year, but that may just feel that way because my expectations last year were so astronomically high and I was so disappointed when it wasn't the greatest year ever. With this year, it's the year before an anniversary = muted expectations on my part.

So, does anyone know what the GSATs have been like?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    SeventyOne and kingmantis like this.
  9. kingmantis

kingmantis Rookie

I agree, the park wasn't bereft of people. It's less a problem for houses and more for zones/general atmosphere. It's hard to create a creepy atmosphere throughout the park (particularly the back half) when for most of the night it's slammed to the point where actors need to step out of the way to avoid a crush of people. And while its possible to find quieter times to enjoy these areas... it reminds me of pre-GE collapse Disneyland/WDW: its still possible to have fun even with crowds, but I really shouldn't need to do so much planning/timing things out to have that fun, you know?

Credit where credit is due, I think the team realized this and pivoted to a party atmosphere. Makes sense with bigger crowds and is probably what I would have thought of doing too. In execution though, the zones are still bad, it's just they're paying people to hang out on phones/talk to friends rather than even bothering to try as well.

I do find it funny that the recent years I've enjoyed the most, namely this and HHN26, are the years a lot of others didn't like. I always go second week of HHN in September, before everything breaks/cast leaves, so I wind up enjoying a lot of the houses that completely collapse by Halloween.

10. ReelJustice

ReelJustice Premium Member

Oh man, another Halloween house next year would be a tremendous whiff.

SeventyOne and OhHaiInternet95 like this.
  11. OhHaiInternet95

I would much rather have Haunting of Hill House for the third headliner instead, but with a new Halloween movie out next year (and Miramax refusing to play--despite no longer being owned by Disney :shrug:), they'll want synergy.

Granted, I'd rather have Halloween than some new family friendly property in addition to ST.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  12. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

I don’t see that happening re: Halloween.

Darko and OhHaiInternet95 like this.
  13. jrn14

jrn14 Veteran Member

Also say what you will about "another Halloween House" but you know who will always bring in the crowds... Freddy, Jason, Michael, Chucky etc...

I see the debate, but I'm parking myself staunchly in the "there are NOT too many IPs" camp. I haven't been this year yet, but even in previous years.. IP houses that folks said were lackluster (Halloween 4, SAW, Ash vs. The Evil Dead, Blumhouse v 2.0) I quite enjoyed. Being able to get these IPs and throw a budget behind them is what sets these events apart from every other Halloween event in the country. If you get IT and Strangers Things and 8 originals ... The IP lines will be insanity and the original lines will be much lower. I'd even predict that people would not hang around the event as long if there weren't as many IPs.

14. MrRoamer

MrRoamer Premium Member

I agree with a lot of what is being said except two points.

1) I will be shocked if this year's crowd numbers are even close to the numbers of any of the years since 25. The crowds have felt very light every night. The only time I've seen it start feeling busy is the Sunday before Columbus Day, which even that felt quiet compared to past memory.

2) HHN started with a party atmosphere and only recently (8 years ago maybe?) did it begin to shy away from that. We had parades, loud music, beer came in $5 Yards not $10 for a Refill Cups, shots and liquor at every bar every 10 feet, Shot Girls, Sexy Dancers, and Foam Parties.

15. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

Us is arguably the second most popular IP this year (as far as wait times go) and Ho1K Corpses has been moving a lot of merch. I agree about the other IPs you mentioned though.

JM-BENT and SpoopySkeletons like this.
  16. JunoSynth

JunoSynth Rookie

Wait. So are you saying the best time to go to get the optimal experience is to go in September? The reason I ask is because I always go the last few weeks of OCT. If the best experience is during Sept. then maybe I should reconsider the times I go each year.

SeventyOne likes this.
  17. MrRoamer

MrRoamer Premium Member

Its kind of double edged. Going later allows the crews to get in their grooves, but attrition builds up and their casts are seeing more and more holes due to lost members.

This is the main perk of getting a full FF pass. We get to see the entire event, nearly every year my favorite house at the beginning is totally different than my favorite house at the end. Sometimes its because they fixed something that wasn't working (Havoc) and sometimes the crew is decimated and key gags break (Carnival Graveyard)

Darko, kingmantis, JunoSynth and 2 others like this.
  18. kingmantis

kingmantis Rookie

I've only ever been once in October so I can't directly compare, but I have found September to be both cheaper and less busy than what others have said about the October experience.

As for quality, others made this great observation in the thread already that its a trade-off. IPs and effects heavy houses tend to get worse because things break and the hard-to-replace face characters quit over time. Scareactor heavy houses tend to be weaker early on as people figure out their roles, and stronger by the end once they're comfortable. Locals can probably speak to the differences better though.

For me, I like earlier in the season. I'd rather see the effects/IP houses in top form, since there's plenty of decent actor-focused houses in NY I can see without travelling. Also, I get to avoid the crowds and save some money; rush of fear is a fantastic value for a tourist.

EDIT: Oops, just listen to what @MrRoamer said, haha.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  19. Latel

Latel Newcomer

Does anyone know roughly how long the wait time is for ST with an express pass?

20. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

Some of ya'll are missing the forest for the trees (regarding the IP talk)...

During my visits, the longest I waited is 15 minutes. I wouldn't be too worried.

Darko, RevFreako and Legacy like this.