Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors (2021) | Page 38 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors (2021)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don’t know why people are so obsessed with Creepshow. Tried watching the first movie a couple of times as well as the show but it could never catch my interest. And the maze in Hollywood was average at best. I know that the creative team likes Creepshow as an IP but I simply don’t understand the fascination for it

I honestly don’t know why people are so obsessed with Creepshow. Tried watching the first movie a couple of times as well as the show but it could never catch my interest. And the maze in Hollywood was average at best. I know that the creative team likes Creepshow as an IP but I simply don’t understand the fascination for it
A love of the 1950’s comics like Tales from the Crypt and the fact that they tried to recreate a comic book look in a movie.

The segments “They’re Creeping Up on You” and “Something to Tide You Over” are my favorites from the movie.

The second episode of the show which includes “Bad Wolf Down” and “The Finger” encapsulates the movie fairly well with a solid mix of humor, horror, and comic book structure

It’s really a texture type of experience, plus they got some great names playing well over the top.

There’s also some great imagery that could be used in a house between the show and the movies.

And, generally, people just like IPs

I would personally be fine with an Ultraviolent Comics original take on the Creepshow/Tales from the Crypt comics as I think using the pages of a comic book as transitions would be fun

Pulsing is great but not obtainable at the current event level. We would be talking about capacity being obliterated. I would guess that capacity would be slashed by a factor of 4 at least. To achieve this I would imagine that ticket price would have to increase and removal of HHN passes. I could be wrong about how much capacity would be affected, and if someone knows more about that changes in capacity from pulsed to not pulsed let me know.
Oh 100%. It's a fun experience but it would destroy the infrastructure of the event. If they ever decided to go with a daytime house though, they could probably consider doing it at that time.

If you mean because of the glasses, no, they just "recycle" those in trash bins at the end of the house. They're the cheap cardboard kind, not the nice plastic ones on the rides.

Wonderland worked as well as any house has in that Shrek space, so an interesting, potentially cost-effective thought.But if we're talking cheap houses, if the new team ever wanted a challenge, it would be a remake of "Cold Blind Terror" that actually succeeds in being scary.

It's so funny that that house ended up being crap when the website made it look soooo scary--the guy standing outside an ice cold cave, the page of the ill-fated research team...I cannot give enough credit to that website for introducing me to the horror genre.

Reactions: SeventyOne
But if we're talking cheap houses, if the new team ever wanted a challenge, it would be a remake of "Cold Blind Terror" that actually succeeds in being scary.

I think it's actually possible to make a scary remake of Cold Blind Terror (or Pitch Black, for the matter). But it wouldn't be a cheap house since it would require actual full-blown sets, costumes and lighting, while there's just a smattering of pitch black segments. You have to treat it like the hallway in Graveyard Games where a moment of pitch black will freak people out because of the horrors they encountered beforehand. Having it pitch black the whole way through is missing the visuals for people's imaginations to fill in the blank when they can't see.

Honestly, Patient Zero from 28 was one of the coolest houses in implementation and I think that's one of the best ways to pull of the "Blind" trick in a haunt. Enough set and costumes to be a full house but enough disorientation to make it kinda hard to tell where you're going or where the scares are gonna come from.

I thought the "blindness as a side effect" was quite creative (and I've been thinking about that recently for obvious reasons). But I still wish they had re-used the photography narrative primarily because it had an accompanying sound effect (my idea) (maybe used the blindness effect for a Catacombs sequel that they'll sadly never touch with a ten foot pole now).

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
There was a slow night a few years ago when they tried going to all pulsing for houses. Turned a 10-15 minute wait per house kind of night into a five house night. I recall hearing that they got murdered on surveys, and for good reason because everyone knew the place was deserted yet we’re all waiting 45-60 minutes.

The designers do an incredibly good job at building houses that make the most of the conga line reality of the event. Anything less than maximum throughput (under normal circumstances, health and safety needs aside) should be shunned imo.

So...much...this. I went to Howl-o-Scream when they first tried pulsing a couple years back. It added nothing to the houses except making you wait longer. And I always caught up to the people ahead of me within 45 seconds.

yeah, it was my last favorite on the year.
So interesting to hear, I guess it goes to show how different things work for different people. I didn't get to go through Patient Zero, but the original Dead Exposure is one of my favorite houses ever, it really messed with me.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
I think it's actually possible to make a scary remake of Cold Blind Terror (or Pitch Black, for the matter). But it wouldn't be a cheap house since it would require actual full-blown sets, costumes and lighting, while there's just a smattering of pitch black segments. You have to treat it like the hallway in Graveyard Games where a moment of pitch black will freak people out because of the horrors they encountered beforehand. Having it pitch black the whole way through is missing the visuals for people's imaginations to fill in the blank when they can't see.

I think anything can be a scary house if done right. I just think consensus in the old-timer HHN community is that Cold Blind Terror one of if not the worst from an otherwise solid year, which kinds of make it Everest, just begging to be climbed. Solid ideas, btw, could definitely work.

So interesting to hear, I guess it goes to show how different things work for different people. I didn't get to go through Patient Zero, but the original Dead Exposure is one of my favorite houses ever, it really messed with me.

Patient Zero was just alright for me, with some clever ideas. It's nowhere near the same league as the original Dead Exposure, which is still one of my top 10 houses. If anything the sequel suffered for having to live up to the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.