Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - News & Info | Page 41 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - News & Info

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Guessing they will be monitoring 'spend per guest' numbers since the cutoff, vs. 'spend per guest' numbers before the pass cutoff. Often less attendance will translate into more profit if a stronger spend per guest occurs and less operational costs with a lower crowd (less is more?). Anyway, this is going to be interesting to see what happens for 2024 HHN in the way of ticket types and costs.
It's strange to think about, but it's possible that they could still break even with lower attendance.

For example, if lines weren't as insane, I'd probably be more inclined to spend more money at the food booths.

It's strange to think about, but it's possible that they could still break even with lower attendance.

For example, if lines weren't as insane, I'd probably be more inclined to spend more money at the food booths.
This is absolutely true. Also can cut back staffing if crowds lighter without compromising that improved service.

Plus, saying out loud the part no one wants to: local guests willing to skip October at a Halloween event solely to save $50 probably don't have the disposable income an event pushing $15 beers is looking for, at least not sustainably over 20 nights. Out-of-town guests are different, but if you're buying a flight and a hotel room, you may complain about an extra $100 - $200 but we all know you're going to pay it. But if Universal going to offer a $170 ticket, better to use specials to make it 2 or 3 nights v. 20. Tailor those specials to make slow nights more appealing. Make time at the the event rare enough to make it feel special again --yet still roughly doable for the non-social-media-obsessed guest in a single night--rather than a hang-out.

Thisity thisity this!

I've mentioned this in my various review comments from this year. I know it's irrational to get hangry and let a bad otherwise-easily-solvable ops interaction ruin my (very expensive) night but it's a real thing that happens.

Happy guests spend more on food and drinks and merch and upcharges and impulse items and...

This is absolutely true. Also can cut back staffing if crowds lighter without compromising that improved service.

Plus, saying out loud the part no one wants to: local guests willing to skip October at a Halloween event solely to save $50 probably don't have the disposable income an event pushing $15 beers is looking for, at least not sustainably over 20 nights. Out-of-town guests are different, but if you're buying a flight and a hotel room, you may complain about an extra $100 - $200 but we all know you're going to pay it. But if Universal going to offer a $170 ticket, better to use specials to make it 2 or 3 nights v. 20. Tailor those specials to make slow nights more appealing. Make time at the the event rare enough to make it feel special again --yet still roughly doable for the non-social-media-obsessed guest in a single night--rather than a hang-out.
Yes, I'd imagine the teenage demographic, that comes most every night possible on cheap multi night tickets,since it's the social thing to do, only has as much money as mom and dad can spare, and they're too young to buy the alcohol that fuels the HHN profits. And if they do drink, with fake ID's and other tricks, they're a security nightmare.

RIP BOGO tickets :(

I mentioned it earlier, but they could also do an upcharge for non-date-specific tickets.

Example - you buy a 3 day ticket and you pick the days ahead of time. Or, for an extra $10-20 per night, they'll be "anytime tickets"

Guessing they will be monitoring 'spend per guest' numbers since the cutoff, vs. 'spend per guest' numbers before the pass cutoff. Often less attendance will translate into more profit if a stronger spend per guest occurs and less operational costs with a lower crowd (less is more?). Anyway, this is going to be interesting to see what happens for 2024 HHN in the way of ticket types and costs.

I'm sure that the ROF weeks were crazy high for spending. There was so much people that even with long lanes they probably sold like crazy.
It was so crowded but they probably over sold everything daily.
And there were long lines at every single place so it was multiple high demand in every corner of the park.
If anything universal was probably super happy sales wise.

Can they just add more booths?

Maybe universal should have a specific ROF or FFP that only out of town non locals can buy,
That won't sell out.

Maybe, perhaps they should not sell out for our of town guests. Maybe it should only sell out for Florida residents.
Universal is kind of shooting itself in the foot by having an all block on tickets, because like you guys said, out of state guests will spend 100-200 more than locals.
Having a 1 type of general ticket system doesn't work equally because out of state guests are only here for a week or so. They spend much more and they spend on hotels.
But like you guys said, locals and local teens won't spend as much.
Maybe this isn't realistic or possible,but, I still feel really really sad about the out of state people that couldn't come this year. Because of ffp

I will say this is the first year I bought no drinks at all and ate at the shortest quick service we could find. There was barely enough time to do every house without express with a few ride and that is getting into the stay and scream line at 3;40. I could have probably done two more houses for repeats if I stayed all the way to the last minute and picked short lines. I think we got done at about 1:30 and didn't even see the show.

W
I will say this is the first year I bought no drinks at all and ate at the shortest quick service we could find. There was barely enough time to do every house without express with a few ride and that is getting into the stay and scream line at 3;40. I could have probably done two more houses for repeats if I stayed all the way to the last minute and picked short lines. I think we got done at about 1:30 and didn't even see the show.
What day was that

I guess we will see what happens but I’m entirely unconvinced Universal sees
what many on this site see as a problem. Having a massive crowds *and* convincing many of these people to buy express is a big win. Social media is a wash rinse repeat of people talking about how express is a must etc etc. This is the goal folks. Sell lots of tickets and then convince people they need express.

Lines upon lines for merchandise and food doesn’t hurt either. Having bursting holding areas for stay & scream is also not a problem when your goal is to make money.

Until their bottom line starts suffering I expect to see tweaks but no major changes to ticketing.

Sorry we’re not going back to the sleepy days of HHN.

what many on this site see as a problem. Having a massive crowds *and* convincing many of these people to buy express is a big win. Social media is a wash rinse repeat of people talking about how express is a must etc etc. This is the goal folks. Sell lots of tickets and then convince people they need express.

Lines upon lines for merchandise and food doesn’t hurt either. Having bursting holding areas for stay & scream is also not a problem when your goal is to make money.

Until their bottom line starts suffering I expect to see tweaks but no major changes to ticketing.

HHN has not had sleepy days for years now compared to almost every major similar Halloween event in the world outside of some covid weirdness. They can cut out muti might passes/express for higher average single night ticket prices or expand the event. If the chose neither they are leaving money on the table as the event is already bursting at the seams. I do agree though that universal might just see it as sell more express at higher prices and not even care about leaving money on the table.

Frankly I think people are out of their minds spending upwards of 300 per person on a single night event. If the event is truly worthless to get through without express that just makes express the regular ticket price. At that point the majority of people buying multi night passes and stuffing the regular lines have to be locals as standing in line for stay and scream early and still getting not everything done is just not something most tourists are going to be doing.

I think universal has a real responsibility to curb multi night visits from locals for guests that spend more total money overall even if they don't buy express.

Reactions: Mad Dog

HHN has not had sleepy days for years now compared to almost every major similar Halloween event in the world outside of some covid weirdness. They can cut out muti might passes/express for higher average single night ticket prices or expand the event. If the chose neither they are leaving money on the table as the event is already bursting at the seams. I do agree though that universal might just see it as sell more express at higher prices and not even care about leaving money on the table.

Frankly I think people are out of their minds spending upwards of 300 per person on a single night event. If the event is truly worthless to get through without express that just makes express the regular ticket price. At that point the majority of people buying multi night passes and stuffing the regular lines have to be locals as standing in line for stay and scream early and still getting not everything done is just not something most tourists are going to be doing.

I think universal has a real responsibility to curb multi night visits from locals for guests that spend more total money overall even if they don't buy express.

And, we only had a regular frequent fear pass in the past ( if I remember correctly) Fridays were never part of ffp. At least 10 years ago it wasn't. ( I think)
Repeat guests weren't allowed on Friday. But universal added Friday with frequent fear plus,
Which means that universal wanted those repeat locals in the park .
I bring it up because universal chose to offer a ticket that allowed us locals to go on even more days. And the they added the ultimate FFP which allows all days.

So by universal having these two ffp tickets and keeping them all these recent years, it means that universal does want those locals to keep coming more often. That's what's interesting.

Part of the reason why I insist on adding show capacity is that attendance wise they’re fine… they just need to move bodies elsewhere throughout the park and stop artificially clogging bottlenecks. Again, all can be fixed with operational adjustments to an event that hasn’t really changed how it runs in decades.
My assumption is we will at least have a lagoon show back next year.

what many on this site see as a problem. Having a massive crowds *and* convincing many of these people to buy express is a big win.

It was until so many bought Express (or abused the system to get a GAC*) that it broke the ev. Which was this year. Universal didn't leave money on the table and alienate guests by cutting FF without reason. The GSATs for September must have been abysmal.

* Weird how the crowd of people around each entrance trying to get a GAC signed disappeared with the end of RoF.

And, we only had a regular frequent fear pass in the past ( if I remember correctly) Fridays were never part of ffp. At least 10 years ago it wasn't. ( I think)
Repeat guests weren't allowed on Friday. But universal added Friday with frequent fear plus,
Which means that universal wanted those repeat locals in the park .
I bring it up because universal chose to offer a ticket that allowed us locals to go on even more days. And the they added the ultimate FFP which allows all days.

So by universal having these two ffp tickets and keeping them all these recent years, it means that universal does want those locals to keep coming more often. That's what's interesting.

Just keeping the discussion honest, FF Plus started in the mid 00s -- sadly a lot more than 10 years ago now. Back when the parks were slow and locals at HHN and Mardi Gras were the only thing keeping the lights on. I don't remember exactly when they added Express for the length of the event, but that's probably within the past 10 years. But to paraphrase @UniversalRBLX, the event is being run with systems designed for a very different Universal.

I know folks have mentioned price sensitivity w/ locals getting RoF over FF/FFP. I really think this SAT was lighter than this SUN. Back when SEPT was slower than OCT, I always felt that SAT had lower crowds as it tends to be the highest priced night (day ticket/express/RIP all tend to cost more on SAT than WED&SUN).

I still feel a lot of multi day folks tend to come out early and leave early -- SEPT did not seem to slow down until around 1 AM, I think yesterday slowed by around 10:30.

What I find interesting around express is that it seems folks are using Express during Stay&Scream -- S&S use to be a way to get a jump on things for folks who did not use Express -- now it seems (to me) as if it is a way for Express users to be done by 9 PM.

Anyway, I also do not think the crowds have reached the numbers of that one week in SEPT.

Part of the reason why I insist on adding show capacity is that attendance wise they’re fine… they just need to move bodies elsewhere throughout the park and stop artificially clogging bottlenecks. Again, all can be fixed with operational adjustments to an event that hasn’t really changed how it runs in decades.

Maybe stop using SF as a scarezone location. There is just not enough room to walk around comfortably and enjoy the scare actors.

• Wow
Reactions: Lucky Planet
It was until so many bought Express (or abused the system to get a GAC*) that it broke the ev. Which was this year. Universal didn't leave money on the table and alienate guests by cutting FF without reason. The GSATs for September must have been abysmal.

* Weird how the crowd of people around each entrance trying to get a GAC signed disappeared with the end of RoF.

Just keeping the discussion honest, FF Plus started in the mid 00s -- sadly a lot more than 10 years ago now. Back when the parks were slow and locals at HHN and Mardi Gras were the only thing keeping the lights on. I don't remember exactly when they added Express for the length of the event, but that's probably within the past 10 years. But to paraphrase @UniversalRBLX, the event is being run with systems designed for a very different Universal.
I'll always remember our eyewitness account of a pure GAC abuse, though it was on a regular day. I recounted it here and one of our older former Universal TM's that posts here sometimes vigorously denied it could happen. But we saw it, and I'm sure it still happens, even though Universal has tweeked the system since then.. I recall Disney having those problems also, and having to change their systems a number of times since it was abused so much....Here's what we saw: We were walking the path from CBBR to the parks. Coming from behind us was a group of around 6 youths, who appeared to be late teenagers and early 20's pushing an empty wheelchair. They were all running while pushing the empty chair. They passed us in a flash, even though we are fast walkers. We went to IOA that morning. During the day we repeatedly encountered that group, with one of them sitting in the wheelchair, being admitted as a group for the GAC fast boarding. It's a real shame that many take advantage of a system that should only be used by people that are truly disabled, and not those that use a very minor physical issue to get their whole group in, or even a pure fake of a physical disability.

This is a bit early, but I'm curious what everyone thinks for next year.

Do you think opening night will be August 30th, or September 6th? I'm curious to see if they open earlier and include even more nights.