Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 31 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pumpkinhead is on my wish list. Such an underrated movie that would make for a great house and it should've been done years ago. Not sure why it hasn't shown up yet.

Are we even allowed to speculate Pumpkinhead? lol

Pumpkinhead methinks is too obscure.

How about the Ring or the Grudge? I think those movies are still fairly popular.

Pumpkinhead methinks is too obscure.

How about the Ring or the Grudge? I think those movies are still fairly popular.
It might be too obscure, but it would've made sense to have it at 28 or 29

Ring and Grudge deserve to be at HHN, but I don't think they're headline-worthy. Are they classified as cult classics now?

Reactions: Darko
It might be too obscure, but it would've made sense to have it at 28 or 29

Ring and Grudge deserve to be at HHN, but I don't think they're headline-worthy. Are they classified as cult classics now?

If cult classic is a decent form of popularity; then yeah I’m sure they are. Kayako and Sadako/Samara are amongst the most influential horror characters.

Ah what the heck might as well throw it in there (if it wasn’t already). So I just found out that Winnie the Pooh is in public domain? And there’s a horror movie coming about based on Winnie the Pooh? I honestly thought it was a joke at first.

So yeah; could Universal actually do a house based on the movie for this year? Or at least do an “original” house on it? I don’t think Disney can Sue Uni for it… could they?

Then again I could see Universal pulling it off specifically to flip the bird at Disney so.

Personally I would be freakin’ ENRAGED if this does happen. And I’m not even attending HHN (so far). This whole thing just screams edgelord to me. But this is just be throwing a suggestion and it could very well be a possibility?:eek:O:
I don’t see the point in being enraged over something so silly. It’s just haunted houses and theme parks and movies, it’s not that serious.

But honestly it ain’t going to happen anyway. It just isn’t something I imagine the team are particularly interest
If cult classic is a decent form of popularity; then yeah I’m sure they are. Kayako and Sadako/Samara are amongst the most influential horror characters.
Honestly I’m genuinely curious as to why they haven’t done those properties yet. Maybe rights issues? Or maybe they figured the time has passed for houses based on them?

Honestly I’m genuinely curious as to why they haven’t done those properties yet. Maybe rights issues? Or maybe they figured the time has passed for houses based on them?

Well looking at years past 2007 and 2009 they already had their hands full with the New Line Trio, Jigsaw, and Chucky. And of course the early 2010s was the year of the Walking Dead. They pretty much were bent on using the big IPs like the aforementioned, Silent Hill, Michael Myers, etc. This might be the time to bring the creepy long haired specters to HHN, as the IP well is drying up.

Are there any upcoming installments of the Ring and the Grudge? It might have a shot later this decade with the 2000’s nostalgia going on right now. I think one of the reasons why those IP’s never made it to HHN is because Universal mostly tends to be western-centric with the event to appease the general public here in the US.

Are there any upcoming installments of the Ring and the Grudge? It might have a shot later this decade with the 2000’s nostalgia going on right now. I think one of the reasons why those IP’s never made it to HHN is because Universal mostly tends to be western-centric with the event to appease the general public here in the US.

Both of them had American made remakes which is the reason they’re well known and engrained in pop culture.

Rings came out in 2017, but I've heard it was terrible. The Grudge got a reboot in 2020, but that was terrible too lmao.

Could you explain this a bit more?

I know the Ring and the Grudge are the most familiar movies from the 2000’s in horror, but It could be more trickier to get through the event’s marketing despite the US remakes. There are still too many people who aren’t familiar with J-Horror films. For some, It’s too strange and foreign, but I do hope that is changing more so than before cause more people are realizing that pop culture doesn’t entirely revolve around Hollywood. The recent installments of the franchises as mentioned before were critically tanked, which I honestly didn’t know about this before.

It probably would take a reboot and make up the expectations from the previous releases to happen. The only aspect I could think of that was Japanese-related is that once scene from RUN at 25. You also have the video game IP’s too. We were lucky enough to have Silent Hill at 22, and Resident Evil at 23 respectively, but that was mostly a natural cause than a fan demand.

On available IPS for potential use, there’s still the original From Dusk Till Dawn. And the Blair Witch Project but that’s a found footage movie and I’ve never seen it so I don’t know how it could work.

Seriously though it’s just me pointing out properties that maybe have a chance. In actuality; I think Orlando will go back to being a more original-centric event (minus Chucky and the Monsters). That or music artists but again I don’t know who they can use. I’ve felt that they didn’t need to shove in so much IPs back then when Walking Dead and Stranger Things were all that they really needed. Now they drained the IP well* for all it’s worth and soon there’s not going to be anything of much value.

*Well in fairness, some of it is just licensing being a real witch.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, The Ring was popular enough to appear in DIE-In 2. Honestly, it was incredibly popular when it was released. There’s an audience, I imagine, that would be excited for it. Grudge less so, but it’s not completely outlandish. I’d put them in the same realm as Thirteen Ghosts - improbable but not impossible.

There is no reason to believe any of those IPs are coming though. Just because they exist that doesn’t mean they’re worth speculating about. They’re not routinely asked for by the GP. They’re not relevant with remakes/sequels. They’re not in the pantheon of “greatest horrors ever” or even “cult classics.” They just are.

They’re not in the pantheon of “greatest horrors ever” or even “cult classics.” They just are.

I’m pretty sure The Ring remake is a cult classic. Maybe at least the same level of “popularity” of Killer Klowns (maybe more so). And what is Thirteen Ghosts?

Thirteen Ghosts is more of a cult classic than The Ring, and was actually developed as a potential house for 2001/2002.

Maybe so but Samara/Sadako from the Ring by herself is one of the most iconic and memorable characters in horror history. It’s like slasher franchises which are known more for their killers than the actual quality of their films. From what I’ve researched Thirteen Ghosts; that film doesn’t have that distinguishing feature.

But unrelated and going back to a post; I could at least see 2023 as a event similar to 2009 in that’s it’s mostly originals and at least (I guess) 3 IPs. Soon the age of IPs will decline. (For Orlando)

Aside from Chucky and the Classic Monsters, I wonder what other potential properties they can use for HHN or if there’s even any left. They used up all the big ones. There’s a new Scream movie coming out but I’ve heard of some licensing issues which makes it tricky. Same thing with Hellraiser. Evil Dead got canned last year so I don’t see them trying again. I have no idea if the F13 lawsuit was settled. Maybe the tide will shift to more original houses? Unless they reuse IPs like Freddy and Exorcist again, which can work. For some of them it has been quite some time.

Unless they bring more music artists like the Weekend for more creative experiences… and I’ll admit I’m really behind on the music scene (or at least artists that deal with the macabre).
The F13 lawsuit has been settled - but the rights still are probably a mess in regards to HHN.

There are likely licensing issues for Scream but they DID get it for HHN25. I don't know why it got pulled, but it still stands that they did get the rights to do it before losing them again.

I'm not sure if we'd see more of a shift to originals, only because the goal for them is to still make money, and IPs are the moneymaker. Moving forward I'm happy with a 5/5 split for IP/original!

Reactions: Crypt Keeper
Status
Not open for further replies.