Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 32 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On Twitter, Legacy tweeted about a “White Whale” IP that was supposed to happen for next year, but It’s still unobtainable, so I figure we won’t be getting any Holy Grails/First Timers for now with either the Last of Us, The Munsters, or the Addams Family as a possible exception.

• Wow
Reactions: TheCodeMan95
On Twitter, Legacy tweeted about a “White Whale” IP that was supposed to happen for next year, but It’s still unobtainable, so I figure we won’t be getting any Holy Grails/First Timers for now with either the Last of Us, The Munsters, or the Addams Family as a possible exception.

Didn’t the Munsters movie tank?

In regards to a Netflix property (there possibly goes my hopes and dreams for Wednesday).

I just saw this on ResetEra

Probably more complicated than "hey Netflix!"

One interesting wrinkle this year is that the unsympathetic cost cutting at Warner Brothers is a massive wildcard this year and watching it play out is fascinating as rights feel simultaneously more complicated and unobtainable yet somehow plausible this year than ever before.

On one hand, you have WB seriously considering farming out high profile properties to other entities to make a quick buck and on the other hand they are pulling back on tons of things to save money. This seems to have especially hit the non-blockbuster properties that company perceives as having diminishing returns or fading interest. I think dormant IP like The Lost Boys could be packaged up and sold or licensed as a block, while more relevant properties like The Conjuring Universe continues to be developed. I really do not see The Conjuring coming to this event. Heck, even (controversially) IT seems more likely as it might fall into this category as too expensive to maintain but good for licensing. While generally horror is cheaper to make, the strategy seems to be making more profitable "core" IP or blockbusters and shelving the rest, creating new licensing opportunities for previously dormant IP.

Does all that really make IP easier to obtain? I'm just speculating, but I feel like that's the direction they are going. Are we going to see an unprecedented licensing deal under the current management? Very likely. For this year? Maybe. The following year? I'd bet on it. All guesswork on my part, though.

Do we want Stranger Things?

I mean, Vecna was great, but what would S4 add that the houses S1-3 haven't already done?
I think, in general, S4 would translate to a house much more easily than the other 3 seasons.

Maybe I'm wrong, but with so much of the season actually taking place in the Upside Down, it feels that way. Throw in Vecna and the demobats and I think it would be the best ST house they've done.

As far as the White Whale IPs - is The Last of Us even considered a White Whale at this point? I really want to see it but I'm not sure people have been clamoring for it like Scream/Conjuring/etc.

And I may be wrong here as well, but with The Lost Boys being, for all intents and purposes, a "dead" franchise - I feel like the rights could be relatively easy to get. I know there's a remake coming, so I'm not sure if they'd want to wait for that?

Reactions: HHN Yeti Lover
Still gonna bet it was The Conjuring.
I think, in general, S4 would translate to a house much more easily than the other 3 seasons.

Maybe I'm wrong, but with so much of the season actually taking place in the Upside Down, it feels that way. Throw in Vecna and the demobats and I think it would be the best ST house they've done.

As far as the White Whale IPs - is The Last of Us even considered a White Whale at this point? I really want to see it but I'm not sure people have been clamoring for it like Scream/Conjuring/etc.

And I may be wrong here as well, but with The Lost Boys being, for all intents and purposes, a "dead" franchise - I feel like the rights could be relatively easy to get. I know there's a remake coming, so I'm not sure if they'd want to wait for that?
I agree, Season 4 has the most material for a haunted house. It would probably be the scariest ST house they've done.

I've seen so many people in the past ask for The Last of Us and it's a pretty big IP. Probably one of the biggest game IPs in the last ten years, so it's definitely a white whale IP.

With the reboot on the way, I feel like it gives Universal an actual reason to go after the IP. Would they go after the original or reboot? That I don't know.

The biggest white whale Universal can acquire would be Stranger Things. Consistently saw more Eddie Munson shirts alone than Halloween shirts during HHN this year (and Halloween has a pretty big following).

But the first three seasons of Stranger Things were already there at 28 and 29 respectively. Not saying I don’t want it back to continue with a fourth season, but It’s technically isn’t. The actual “White Whales” are the ones that never been officially represented at the event as first timers like Scream, The Lost Boys, The Last of Us and the Conjuring.

Reactions: Darko
The actual “White Whales” are the ones that never been officially represented at the event as first timers like Scream, The Lost Boys, The Last of Us and the Conjuring.

This is how I would classify it. Although, I wouldn’t put “Last of Us” as a white whale. Maybe the show changes that but as of right now, it’s just an upper tier property.

Status
Not open for further replies.