Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 36 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There should be more pre-shows for the houses, and this is something they could do with Chucky. I guess most of them don’t feature them in the queue cause they don’t want to spoiler the experience for us before entering and walking through other than the budget costs.
They literally could’ve played the lore podcasts they made over Adobe Stock footage that matches with the vibe of the house and I would’ve been happy. So many of these originals would’ve made so much more sense to people if they just had queue videos!!!

Reactions: Darko
They literally could’ve played the lore podcasts they made over Adobe Stock footage that matches with the vibe of the house and I would’ve been happy. So many of these originals would’ve made so much more sense to people if they just had queue videos!!!

The general public doesn't want house backstories - they want advertisements for an event they already paid for!

The general public doesn't want house backstories - they want advertisements for an event they already paid for!

I think you could do a IP house with a backstory and advertise it both at once other than as an experience; It just depends which one that could work the most as a retelling for guests to be familiar like the Halloween houses at 24, 26, and 28 respectively. 31 was more experience-driven to me than the previous.

So why did they stop doing queue videos? Is it cause they figured everyone would just play on their phone while in line instead of watching the videos? Or is there another reason?

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
So why did they stop doing queue videos? Is it cause they figured everyone would just play on their phone while in line instead of watching the videos? Or is there another reason?
It’s a resource focus.

So, a lot of things that Universal use to do for HHN were not really done “by” Universal-they were actually passion projects that members of the crew just took on out of their interest. The websites (specifically the games) were actually one of the those things. A couple of members of A&D basically said, “Wouldn’t it be cool if…” and, since there almost no corporate oversight during the aughts, they just did it.

From my understanding, the queue videos actually came about the same way. Some members of the tech team (not even A&D but still within Entertainment) bought some professional-grade film equipment for themselves and just started cutting/creating stuff for HHN. They were just things that happened.

Universal is not like that anymore.

It’s a resource focus.

So, a lot of things that Universal use to do for HHN were not really done “by” Universal-they were actually passion projects that members of the crew just took on out of their interest. The websites (specifically the games) were actually one of the those things. A couple of members of A&D basically said, “Wouldn’t it be cool if…” and, since there almost no corporate oversight during the aughts, they just did it.

From my understanding, the queue videos actually came about the same way. Some members of the tech team (not even A&D but still within Entertainment) bought some professional-grade film equipment for themselves and just started cutting/creating stuff for HHN. They were just things that happened.

Universal is not like that anymore.
So how much creative freedom does A&D have anymore? Feels like corporate is slowly removing HHN’s personality. I mean I know that’s corporate in a nutshell but still. I’m guessing it’s just little extras like that they can’t do anymore?

So how much creative freedom does A&D have anymore? Feels like corporate is slowly removing HHN’s personality. I mean I know that’s corporate in a nutshell but still. I’m guessing it’s just little extras like that they can’t do anymore?

Yet this “corporate” aspect has lead to a larger, more involved event with properties YALL love. You don’t get AWIL, Killer Klowns, TrT, or Halloween when A&D is winging it.

Yet this “corporate” aspect has lead to a larger, more involved event with properties YALL love. You don’t get AWIL, Killer Klowns, TrT, or Halloween when A&D is winging it.
I don’t know what you mean by YALL when I’m far more of a fan of the original content. I’d rather see originals take over the event again but that will never happen.

I don’t know what you mean by YALL when I’m far more of a fan of the original content. I’d rather see originals take over the event again but that will never happen.

A broad "y'all", a royal "y'all". :lol:

My point still stands, the same changes to A&D and HHN that "took away" things like queue vids and websites also gave us an overall better event featuring things people want to see AND a better Christmas event. Plus, as we've discussed before, people don't use websites like they used to and queue videos aren't as needed in the day of cell phones (I'd argue the games replaced the queue TV stuff). I don't think one is better or worse, just different.

With Hollywood, that’s different cause the park itself is a working studio and the last one to be both at the same time truly these days, so It’s part of the entertainment industry and sums up why the houses are almost entirely IP’s. Orlando does at least have more creative freedom with a good balance of IP’s, originals, and fan services. They don’t even get compromised much as Hollywood. Florida is way far away from California.

For me personally, I like seeing both the IP’s and originals at the event on 50/50 split cause I do enjoy watching horror movies and I also like to see something new too.

Reactions: Darko and Coolbfitz
Ah, gotcha. :lol:

Yeah, I definitely don’t disagree with you at all honestly. The event has lost some things, but definitely gained in others. I think the IPs have honestly not been a bad thing as some of my favorite houses have been IPs. I’m also pleased that they can do IPs houses like Poltergeist and TCM (30) where they are almost originals with an IP skin.

Overall, you said it best. It’s not necessarily worse or better. Just different. It’s up to the individual whether they like the changes or not. However I’d say I like it just the same. It may not have the fun websites and queue videos anymore, but the event itself is still mostly excellent. It’s, as sheikra said, basically 90s HHN all over again, but bigger and more refined.

Last edited:
They still have plenty.

Corporate hasn’t “taken anything away” from HHN in a broad sense. It’s just that everything needs to be approved by park management whereas, before, management didn’t care. Because of that, outside projects don’t really happen anymore because the resources required to do them aren’t immediately there (at least, not the way they were). But it’s the result of HHN becoming a more professional event.

The Weeknd music in every single queue was obnoxious. No need for visuals in the queue unless they function like pre-show stuff on attractions

Even the Music Plaza stuff is irritating
Wait what? You didn't like hearing Blinding Lights in The Weeknd house, every other queue line, and Ghoulish (RIP)?

• Haha
Reactions: shiekra38
The Weeknd music in every single queue was obnoxious. No need for visuals in the queue unless they function like pre-show stuff on attractions

Even the Music Plaza stuff is irritating

And they coulda just add a wider variety of music for each queue that fits the themes of the houses. If you’re gonna have a certain name for a house, just use them for one spot and nowhere else. The only one at this year I could think that woulda made sense to have a pre-show is Bugs.

Reactions: Darko and shiekra38
Wait what? You didn't like hearing Blinding Lights in The Weeknd house, every other queue line, and Ghoulish (RIP)?
It feels like it was part of "the deal" and Universal just held off as long as they could to install the projectors

I would even take just some ambient music that sets the tone for the house

The queues are certainly an area for growth at HHN, I understand budget and time and team and yadda yadda yadda,

but there's got to be some creative things that can be done in the queues

Completely agree on the queues. The Weeknd was a great example of a simple solution to providing queue "entertainment" without a ton of extra work. It was actually kind of fun to wait in that one! The tent houses at least let you see the facade and hear the exterior music, so it's something. The soundstage queues are definitely the biggest slogs to get through- Halloween this past year was particularly soul draining.

There's so many other factors at play, but 30 was when I finally accepted that the HHN I fell in love with is never coming back. So, I decided to just spend my $ elsewhere. But obviously, the GP loves it, so my voice--along with every other die-hard--matters not (stop me if any of that sounds familiar!).

Reactions: Darko
Status
Not open for further replies.