Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I just don't think Silent Hill is a mainstream heavy-hitter. It could definitely build up to being one over the course of the spec season, TLoU had a big surge with the HBO series. But it's gonna have to either capture a hungry audience like FNaF did or be legitimately great on it's own merits like TLoU, because otherwise a Silent Hill house feels about as likely to me as a Dead Space house. A pretty big horror franchise in it's own right, but also an aged one that the mainstream doesn't have a huge connection to just yet. More of a 'House of 1000 Corpses' than an 'After Hours Nightmare' imo.

And people like Wednesday, but it ain't Stranger Things.

Equivocating the popularity of Silent Hill to The Last of Us is a choice.

The entire Silent Hill series (all games) has sold around 10 million copies since its release in 1999. Not EACH. That’s total for all 10 of the Silent Hill games.

The Last of Us has sold over 37 million in half the time. The Last of Us also had a hugely successful and critically acclaimed HBO series.

The only way Universal is going to sniff that tree again is if the movie is a home run.

Let's be real here: while yes Silent Hill isn't that mainstream of an IP, two things increase its chances of coming.

1. A remake of Silent Hill 2. Konami is releasing a remake of Silent Hill 2, a game that many regard as the best in the franchise; it's also the best-selling game in the franchise.

2. A new Silent Hill movie. A new movie about Silent Hill is in the works, which increases the IP's chances of coming.

While these factors increase the chances of us getting a house, it's not a lock, but it is definitely an IP that has a good chance.

The Last of Us did not happen last year because Universal Creative's had a desire to reevaluate a video game house; instead, it was propelled by Neil Druckmann's enthusiasm for the event. He initiated a storm of interest with a tweet, and at that point, not many obstacles were hindering the game's inclusion if they wanted to bring that universe to life at HHN. Creative loved the game, so they pushed it, and alongside the convenient timing of the HBO show, it is safe to say numerous contributing factors led to The Last of Us coming to HHN and becoming a hit with the general audience. Arguably, 2023 marked the ideal time for its inclusion in the event, coinciding with a surge in its popularity.

We'll have to wait and see how things unfold since we're still early in the speculation season. But it's important to note that not every horror video game IP may align with the perfect timing that made The Last of Us at HHN happen. Just because The Weeknd was successful and broke a long gap in music houses does not mean that every horror-music IP is on the table. Similarly, because The Last of Us was popular and broke a long gap in video game IPs does not guarantee Universal will bring Video Game IPs every year.

I don't believe a game release has ever impacted a stateside HHN event. Correct me if I'm wrong there, but every video game property has been included within a year of the movie or show's release and no later.

The movie is all the property has in my view. The movie could catapult the dormant series into new heights and cause a massive surge in popularity and demand that hasn't existed ever before. Or, it doesn't do that and we're back to where we are right now. I think it'd be really cool to see a house based off of those games, call me skeptical that I will be able to anytime in the relative future.

• Love
Reactions: Horror Lover
The Last of Us did not happen last year because Universal Creative's had a desire to reevaluate a video game house; instead, it was propelled by Neil Druckmann's enthusiasm for the event. He initiated a storm of interest with a tweet, and at that point, not many obstacles were hindering the game's inclusion if they wanted to bring that universe to life at HHN. Creative loved the game, so they pushed it, and alongside the convenient timing of the HBO show, it is safe to say numerous contributing factors led to The Last of Us coming to HHN and becoming a hit with the general audience. Arguably, 2023 marked the ideal time for its inclusion in the event, coinciding with a surge in its popularity.

We'll have to wait and see how things unfold since we're still early in the speculation season. But it's important to note that not every horror video game IP may align with the perfect timing that made The Last of Us at HHN happen. Just because The Weeknd was successful and broke a long gap in music houses does not mean that every horror-music IP is on the table. Similarly, because The Last of Us was popular and broke a long gap in video game IPs does not guarantee Universal will bring Video Game IPs every year.

Even though TLOU was based on the games, no doubt Universal got LUCKY with timing, bringing it to the event the year the HBO series became a smash hit..

Let's be real here: while yes Silent Hill isn't that mainstream of an IP, two things increase its chances of coming.

1. A remake of Silent Hill 2. Konami is releasing a remake of Silent Hill 2, a game that many regard as the best in the franchise; it's also the best-selling game in the franchise.

2. A new Silent Hill movie. A new movie about Silent Hill is in the works, which increases the IP's chances of coming.

While these factors increase the chances of us getting a house, it's not a lock, but it is definitely an IP that has a good chance.
It has a chance. And I only say it has a chance because it’s a horror-based franchise. To say it has a good chance is wishful thinking. I’d honestly put it in the same category as Channel Zero.

Let’s remember that Universal has technically only done TWO video game houses: Resident Evil and TLoU. Of those two, TLoU is a a blockbuster and Resident Evil is a powerhouse with over 150 million copies of its games sold. Silent Hill 2, even as the franchise’s best selling game, doesn’t hold a candle in popularity to the other two.

The Silent House was based on the movie and any threads it had to the game existed because they were in the movie. If the second Silent Hill movie wasn’t coming out in 2012, you never would’ve had a Silent Hill house at all.

The movie is all the property has in my view. The movie could catapult the dormant series into new heights and cause a massive surge in popularity and demand that hasn't existed ever before. Or, it doesn't do that and we're back to where we are right now. I think it'd be really cool to see a house based off of those games, call me skeptical that I will be able to anytime in the relative future.
The problem is the line-up of IPs used at next year's event are likely being negotiated right now, and will definitely be finalized by the time the new Silent Hill movie releases. There's no telling if it will be successful at this point in time, so picking Silent Hill would be a risky move in the event that it flops. I think the series would need a major resurgence in both games and films before it would be under serious consideration again.

Even though TLOU was based on the games, no doubt Universal got LUCKY with timing, bringing it to the event the year the HBO series became a smash hit..
There's also another key part of this as well, and that is that PlayStation more recently made a concerted push to exploit some of their more popular franchises through different media. While we are largely seeing that through TV and movies, The Last of Us wouldn't have happened without specific things happening inside of SIE.

As sad as it is to say, I don't thnk TLOU would have ever come to the event without the success of the TV series.

While we're on TLOU discussion though, I'd be curious to know how it did with merch this year. It was discussed earlier that there wasn't many obstacles in bringing it to the event, so I imagine there wouldn't be any obstacles to bringing it back..?

It's a massive game with many locations and set pieces, and the house only scratched 1 of those locations.

(Imagine a house based in David's town during winter? *drools*)

Just because The Weeknd was successful and broke a long gap in music houses does not mean that every horror-music IP is on the table. Similarly, because The Last of Us was popular and broke a long gap in video game IPs does not guarantee Universal will bring Video Game IPs every year.
Thank you for finally putting into words this trend which has irritated me over the last few spec seasons

Are you saying that the band I like that has maybe 250k monthly listeners that wears black clothes, has a spooky looking logo, and has a few creepy song titles isn’t a lock for next year?
Universal is CRAZY if they don't have a house based around this obscure band that I like

• Haha
Reactions: Freak
Since we are talking about music related IP's :lol:
I'd personally love to see Ice Nine Kills. Based on history of album releases, they'd have their Silver scream 3 album released this October, so great way to promote the new album. I can imagine this house being Easter egg heavy with all the horror icons throughout the house, that they base their songs after.
This will never happen tho since their following is much much smaller than some other big names thrown around in the past.

Since we are talking about music related IP's :lol:
I'd personally love to see Ice Nine Kills. Based on history of album releases, they'd have their Silver scream 3 album released this October, so great way to promote the new album. I can imagine this house being Easter egg heavy with all the horror icons throughout the house, that they base their songs after.
This will never happen tho since their following is much much smaller than some other big names thrown around in the past.
I mean...2.4M monthly listeners on Spotify isn't anything to sneeze at.

Maybe not enough for a headliner, but definitely enough to be considered for a smaller house and/or scarezone. Plus, they keep getting bigger.