Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I mean...2.4M monthly listeners on Spotify isn't anything to sneeze at.

Maybe not enough for a headliner, but definitely enough to be considered for a smaller house and/or scarezone. Plus, they keep getting bigger.
I don’t think it would ever happen but it also helps that it wouldn’t have to be like all nite die in and could follow their graphic novel or the welcome to horrorwood story line

I mean...2.4M monthly listeners on Spotify isn't anything to sneeze at.

Maybe not enough for a headliner, but definitely enough to be considered for a smaller house and/or scarezone. Plus, they keep getting bigger.
Compared to?…

The Weeknd has 103 million monthly listeners.

Shoot. Billie Eillish still has 66 million monthly listeners.

Compared to those sorts of numbers, 2.4 is a blip.

Worth remembering that when Universal adapts a niche or relatively less successful IP, it's because someone on the design team really wants to do it and the stars happen to align. (See: The Cabin in the Woods. Arguably Killer Klowns, whose appearance in fairness helped usher in a resurgence for the IP.)

So, for something like this, is there anyone on the current design team that is willing to stick their neck out for the property? Hell, is there really any evidence that those sort of passion projects can still happen in the era where Orlando's Horror Nights has become such a mass market monster of an event?

Worth remembering that when Universal adapts a niche or relatively less successful IP, it's because someone on the design team really wants to do it and the stars happen to align. (See: The Cabin in the Woods. Arguably Killer Klowns, whose appearance in fairness helped usher in a resurgence for the IP.)

So, for something like this, is there anyone on the current design team that is willing to stick their neck out for the property? Hell, is there really any evidence that those sort of passion projects can still happen in the era where Orlando's Horror Nights has become such a mass market monster of an event?
And if I remember right, KKFOS was Aiello's #1 dream IP right?

With the popularity the event has now, I wonder if we could see an IP come purely because the team wants to do it. People will come regardless!

Reactions: EnigmaticGear
And if I remember right, KKFOS was Aiello's #1 dream IP right?

With the popularity the event has now, I wonder if we could see an IP come purely because the team wants to do it. People will come regardless!

Returning to my examples, it's not like Killer Klowns or Cabin in the Woods was driving significant turnstile clicks when they first debuted. The key is someone having the passion and cache to push the powers that be to pay to license the IP that will likely not generate a substantial amount of interest from the general public.

I'll also add Trick 'r Treat to that list.

Compared to The Cabin in the Woods, Killer Klowns and Trick 'r Treat are somewhat more recent, and even when the stars aligned for those niche IPs, they did not automatically start as houses. For the past few years, at least in Orlando, we have not seen niche passion projects like those happen as houses.

Last edited:
Speaking of the whole angle that Neil Druckmann was already passionate about HHN and wanted to do a house, just a little something to add to FNaF probably coming:

When I did the RIP tour, I learned from my guide that Scott Cawthon (the creator of FNaF) not only loves taking his family to USO a few times a year, but has also done the RIP tour on our coast every year since 2018. Take that as you will.

I mean, if they can do a house based on a blue singer that they just invented, I’d think there’s room for a couple of weird, niche IP.

Originals have always been in the DNA of Orlando's event, especially its modern post-2000/Jack iteration. But it costs money to license even weird, niche IP, so the price has to be right, and a case has to be made to the folks in finance. (And - again, this one is crucial - there have to be people on the design team championing it.)

I wouldn’t mind having a cult horror movie house at HHN every year. I watched Killer Klowns after I went through the house. I would have never watched it if it wasn’t for HHN. The scene that made me actual laugh out loud was when the Klown used a balloon dog dog to track the people. There are so many B movies from the 80s they could do. Chopping Mall, The Company of Wolves, Monkey Shines, Pumpkinhead ..

Reactions: Ahmanet
I mean, if they can do a house based on a blue singer that they just invented, I’d think there’s room for a couple of weird, niche IP.

Originals have always been in the DNA of Orlando's event, especially its modern post-2000/Jack iteration. But it costs money to license even weird, niche IP, so the price has to be right, and a case has to be made to the folks in finance. (And - again, this one is crucial - there have to be people on the design team championing it.)

Pretty much what Clive said, IP's cost money in order to have them. And the more niche the property, the more they need folks in A&D to help give it a chance. If there's a niche IP that A&D isn't interested in doing, you know for certain that the higher ups who decide things aren't gonna' go for it either.

In some cases, it's better for A&D to do an original house of something as that can be an easier sell for the higher ups. And I feel the higher ups are more willing to take a risk on a niche/unique original house than an IP they have to pay licensing for.

I think most will agree that there are indeed several horror games out there that could be great houses, ones that are generally popular in the gaming community, but as Legacy said, would be very niche for the general public.

Granted though, I think there's a good chance we see some of these sooner rather than later thanks to upcoming adaptions: Dead by Daylight is getting a Blumhouse movie, Netflix is working on the long-awaited BioShock film, there's a Dead Space adaptation in early development (possibly with John Carpenter), but we should best save speculation for those when the movies come closer.

Silent Hill I think is EXTREMELY safe to say is not happening, not only for the many reasons already stated, but also because with FNaF already likely coming next year, I just don't see A&D doing two video game IPs in one year.

Last edited:
Compared to?…

The Weeknd has 103 million monthly listeners.

Shoot. Billie Eillish still has 66 million monthly listeners.

Compared to those sorts of numbers, 2.4 is a blip.
Again. Definitely NOT for a headliner house, so let's not compare them to Billie or The Weeknd.

Rob Zombie currently has 6M monthly listeners on Spotify and he got a zone.

Others have already made the argument for me, but I think they're at least the level of KKfOS or Trick 'r Treat when they were featured at the event. Medium but passionate fan base.

Returning to my examples, it's not like Killer Klowns or Cabin in the Woods was driving significant turnstile clicks when they first debuted. The key is someone having the passion and cache to push the powers that be to pay to license the IP that will likely not generate a substantial amount of interest from the general public.
For sure - I mostly meant that with the popularity the event is generating regardless of the lineup (HHN 31 as a prime example), it may be a bit easier for the design team to champion a more niche IP.

Just as an example, The Lost Boys would be considered pretty niche at this point in time. However, Lost Boys merch is sold at Hot Topic, and seems to do pretty well. There could be a case to be made to the execs for it, especially with a remake coming soon (I guess that's still happening?)

If we're going to talk about horror games, I think Dead by Daylight is the big one. I'm not sure when the movie(s) are supposed to release, but being Blumhouse, I think there's a really good chance we'd see them come to the event at that time.