Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 346 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feeling this myself, anecdotally seeing it on social media. Some theories in rough order, tho all probably contribute:
  • Lack of any truly killer IPs (after arguably the two hottest in the land last year, at least on paper) and an original line-up that relies on sequels -- while at the same time, Epic Universe and the D23 announcements are taking the air out of the room in terms of theme park discussion
  • The general malaise the country falls into every election year -- arguably worse this year as we come down off the post-COVID high, both emotionally and economically
  • HHN starts too damn early. Mid-September was the rule for over a decade, early Labor Day has us starting in August.
  • Everything in Orlando theme parks runs in cycles. For a time, you couldn't think about parking at EPCOT during Food & Wine on a weekend. Or the lines just to enter into Osbourne Lights. HHN might be nearing the end of its "insanely popular with the normies" cycle, the crowd just hasn't figured out what to move onto next.
I’m not sure I agree with those last two points but I think you’re onto something with the first two. The 4/6 split with none of the IP being real GP pleasers I think has had an effect in particular.

I would also throw in the marketing this year just doesn’t seem to be as into it for whatever reason. We’ve had no even breakdown podcasts, no event commercial/trailer with only nine days until opening night, nothing significant in the way of food, no big photo op at Cabana, the icon(ic characters) and their lore were relegated to a Twitter thread instead of even a single podcast. Compare it to last year when the excitement was palpable and it definitely feels like the wind just isn’t in the sails like it was last year. I assume this is at least partially due to Epic and the parade issues constraining the budget a fair bit. Next year will be very telling I think.

Feeling this myself, anecdotally seeing it on social media. Some theories in rough order, tho all probably contribute:
  • Lack of any truly killer IPs (after arguably the two hottest in the land last year, at least on paper) and an original line-up that relies on sequels -- while at the same time, Epic Universe and the D23 announcements are taking the air out of the room in terms of theme park discussion
  • The general malaise the country falls into every election year -- arguably worse this year as we come down off the post-COVID high, both emotionally and economically
  • HHN starts too damn early. Mid-September was the rule for over a decade, early Labor Day has us starting in August.
  • Everything in Orlando theme parks runs in cycles. For a time, you couldn't think about parking at EPCOT during Food & Wine on a weekend. Or the lines just to enter into Osbourne Lights. HHN might be nearing the end of its "insanely popular with the normies" cycle, the crowd just hasn't figured out what to move onto next.
Counterpoint - this year more people I know personally are going compared to the last 5 years.

We have more originals for the first time in how long? The scarezones look incredible and every single one looks like an absolute banger.

I could write a paper on this, and many have, but historically the more tense society is, the more society participates in "spooky stuff" as a form of escapism. Universal almost certainly has people crunching numbers on societal vibes vs economic conditions for predicted attendance and prices for HHN.

Any who, I think this year is going to be a bar raiser in a lot of ways. My predictions are:

- Best New York Scarezone since Psychoscarapy Unleashed
- Every Scarezone will good
- Strong event atmosphere
- Most Goblins
- Universal Monsters will knock it out of the park AGAIN (3 for 3 baybee)

I'm hype

Last edited:
What's with the Fanta Bars? Does not scream Horror Nights, very much High School vibes. Do not love them.
As mentioned, it's a sponsor type thing. Aka- minimal funding. It's just like seeing Twix, M&M, takis etc all over Six Flags rides. Or at Disney, especially Epcot (Test Track... GM, Chevrolet, etc)..

And actually, it does scream Horror Nights... from the 90s.

Last edited:
As mentioned, it's a sponsor type thing. Aka- minimal funding. It's just like seeing Twix, M&M, Pakistan etc all over Six Flags rides. Or at Disney, especially Epcot (Test Track... GM, Chevrolet, etc)..

I'm not paying Six Flag prices to go to HHN. At least GM and test track make sense together. I hate the cheap Fanta looking bars.

I'm not paying Six Flag prices to go to HHN. At least GM and test track make sense together. I hate the cheap Fanta looking bars.

I agree. They feel low rent and Six Flags. Doesn’t help that the art is terrible.

(Peacock Bar was fine because it was a Universal brand and came with character activations. These are just unsightly advertisements for a third tier soda brand.)

As mentioned, it's a sponsor type thing. Aka- minimal funding. It's just like seeing Twix, M&M, Pakistan etc all over Six Flags rides. Or at Disney, especially Epcot (Test Track... GM, Chevrolet, etc)..

It's tacky compared to the great work they've done so far at the Ghostbusters/Indisious/Quiet Place/Slaughter Sinema food booths.

Not against sponsorships in theme parks if done tastefully (like Test Track w/ Chevrolet or even NAPA with Fast & Furious), but these simple and loud graphics are not great.

I just wish HHN took a bit of time to consider the overall event's theme and have everything tie together in aesthetics and marketing. We currently have 3 "icons/aesthetics" this year:
  • Punk Rock
  • Lil' Boo in oddly gorey design
  • The HHN Arch/Heart (Otis?)

And to get ahead of the inevitable "nobody cares, people will show up" comment, I absolutely understand but as fans we should strive for (and expect) excellence and not settle for this mess.

Personally ascribing it to:
1) Weird/no releases and info. Marketing strategy seems disjointed and unorganized which makes the event take on some of that same energy.
2) We're coming off of a very organized and tied together year in terms of lore so from a fan perspective going back to a more normal Icon year is jarring.

Keeping an open mind for the event though, the UTH pics look like good form, but won't know until everything is in show.
I think this is a lot of it. The underwhelming vibe really seems to be a product of Uni itself. They’re giving the impression that they’re going through the HHN motions, that they’d rather not be spending money on the event right now. The odd PR campaign, lackluster merch, absence of a unifying theme, over reliance on Blumhouse, absence of anything truly new or innovative, etc.

A big part of it is also that we haven’t seen anything truly exciting in the construction prep - yes, Swamp looks good, but nothing else comes close to exciting the fan community the way early elements have in past years. We don’t even seem to have a visible Tribute Store yet (and the announced theme for the store seems a bit generic). I know this is controversial, but I think the vibe is also tied to the fact that additions to the parks over the last several years have been underwhelming and much too clearly budget-conscious. Uni is giving the impression that may carry over to the event. Honestly, it feels like certain IP-focused decision-makers looked at the IP lineup they were able to secure and decided the event wasn’t worth as much focus as usual. There are disturbing echoes of HHN 22.

I love the original lineup - on paper, it’s one of my favorites in years. There’s no reason the event shouldn’t be spectacular, and if the event is great the pre-event vibes won’t matter much at all to fans. But honestly, Uni seems like it’s actively working to dampen excitement.

Last edited:
Reactions: GA-MBIT and Grabnar
I 100% respect your opinion

But the idea of the Fanta Girls asking if you 'Wanna Fanta' and you being like ABSOLUTELY NOT is a hilarious mental image
OK, but make fangs out of the logo with blood and guts or something gory. Then have Fanta girls dressed like the shot girls at Howl O Scream, with shots!

They’re giving the impression that they’re going through the HHN motions, that they’d rather not be spending money on the event right now.
This is how I feel and its very disappointing, especially when you have to shell out the big bucks early or miss out on FFP with Express!

I agree. They feel low rent and Six Flags. Doesn’t help that the art is terrible.

(Peacock Bar was fine because it was a Universal brand and came with character activations. These are just unsightly advertisements for a third tier soda brand.)
Six Flags was absolutely the first thing I thought when I saw the stand.

It’s a small thing that doesn’t matter much. But that’s the issue with the run-up to the event this year: when you add one small thing that doesn’t matter much to another small thing that doesn’t matter much to another small thing etc… At some point, they start to matter.

+Just want to add that I also believe the weeks in advance previews of lights-on house tours takes away from the event IMO. Fans who want to talk HHN, have to be careful to avoid spoilers... which in turn reduces how much people look at HHN stuff/speculation.

I never understood the reasoning/appeal of viewing a house with the lights-on prior to the event start.

I never understood the reasoning/appeal of viewing a house with the lights-on prior to the event start.
Some appreciate the design process and want to see the details before experiencing the scares to take it all in on their own terms. That also helps people who are reluctant to go in completely blind out of fear.

But otherwise, yeah - I don't think it should've been this early.

Personally, if Universal is keen on trying to capitalize on the Pre-HHN Hype and do something early, I think they should do an announcement event similar to what Knott's does. Announce the originals and zones, preview some food, and maybe do a sneak peak at some costumes and merch.