Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
^I think odds are highest for Eddie or Curator of those characters you've listed. Realistically, I don't see the others garnering the support Oddfellow did this year, even within the most diehard HHN fan circles. I also think Eddie or Curator provide the most extreme tonal shift from Oddfellow if creative wants to pursue a cohesive Scare Zone lore like they did this year. I'd be excited to see either be an anchoring Icon for original Zones, marketing, and merch. I guess as Spec Season picks up, we'll learn more about what creative's intentions are for the event going forward with Icons. Oddfellow looked like a success this year from a fan's perspective, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

All I'm going to say about Fall of the House of Usher so far (other than any Flanagan representation is great, even if I thought HoHH's house was...not great) is that if Universal just made a set of rooms that detail everything the Sackler family ever did irl, it would be more horrifying content than any haunted house I've ever walked through. :sweat:

I see so much potential in a full house picking up where the Tribute Store left off with Boris's "False Idols" story. Do we think there was an event-planning reason it was the only room in the Store that was left on a cliffhanger with the "Part 1" in it's name? Or sheer coincidence? A full, soundstage-scale house of that black & white aesthetic with those touches of red eyes, noir, Lovecraftian fish-people. Ah! I'd be over the moon. How does the naming scheme work for him now if that happens? Case Files: False Idols? False Idols: Legendary Truth?

Given how the new team has designed the past two years, I don't think it's out of the question for another Icon to show up. The past two have both been returning characters but new Icons, and if you go back to the old team's work for 26 then Chance is another returning character bumped up to Icon status. They tried to bring back Caretaker in 27, so they weren't opposed to bringing Icon's back.

I suppose thinking more concretely, are there any other major characters from the Icon lore that we haven't gotten fleshed out yet? Dr. Oddfellow was a really big one, being the Ringleader of Jack's OG Circus and all. I feel like some of yall have a much better grasp on the Icon lore than I do and could probably throw out some ideas there. Eddie is a choice, but I think he honestly leans a bit too Edgy for modern HHN, an anniversary zone makes sense for him more than an Event-wide presence.

They also utilized similar ideas from Nathaniel Crowe for Pumpkin Lord, though I'm really not certain how much they actually influenced one another. Still, a Traditional Halloween Icon was planned, and that idea eventually came to fruition. Is there anything else like that they might have to work with?

I see so much potential in a full house picking up where the Tribute Store left off with Boris's "False Idols" story. Do we think there was an event-planning reason it was the only room in the Store that was left on a cliffhanger with the "Part 1" in it's name? Or sheer coincidence? A full, soundstage-scale house of that black & white aesthetic with those touches of red eyes, noir, Lovecraftian fish-people. Ah! I'd be over the moon. How does the naming scheme work for him now if that happens? Case Files: False Idols? False Idols: Legendary Truth?
Y'know, I do think there is something there. I don't think it's out of the question to get a Boris Schuster Icon year. Nothing really says that the Icon has to be scary, especially now that the marketing and billboards don't revolve around them. He's a major character, with a permanent spot in the New York land. Have the year be based around his investigations across the globe and Schuster's life, in the same way the original houses and zones for 32 all featured Oddfellow in some way. And as you pointed out, we already know from Case Files that Boris can make for a wonderful house if given the right design.

I don't think there is honestly much pointing towards him specifically, but he is one of the most major HHN characters that has not gotten the Icon promotion yet. I think he's in the running at least. It'd be a pretty cool change of pace to have one of the Icon's be kind of a hero in some of these stories, or at least aligned with good and against the fear and monsters running rampant. There's some conflict there that could make for some interesting house or zone designs.

Last edited:
Given how the new team has designed the past two years, I don't think it's out of the question for another Icon to show up. The past two have both been returning characters but new Icons, and if you go back to the old team's work for 26 then Chance is another returning character bumped up to Icon status. They tried to bring back Caretaker in 27, so they weren't opposed to bringing Icon's back.

I suppose thinking more concretely, are there any other major characters from the Icon lore that we haven't gotten fleshed out yet? Dr. Oddfellow was a really big one, being the Ringleader of Jack's OG Circus and all. I feel like some of yall have a much better grasp on the Icon lore than I do and could probably throw out some ideas there. Eddie is a choice, but I think he honestly leans a bit too Edgy for modern HHN, an anniversary zone makes sense for him more than an Event-wide presence.

They also utilized similar ideas from Nathaniel Crowe for Pumpkin Lord, though I'm really not certain how much they actually influenced one another. Still, a Traditional Halloween Icon was planned, and that idea eventually came to fruition. Is there anything else like that they might have to work with?
How is Eddie too "edgy" for modern HHN? :lol:

Caretaker and Usher (which are the Icons I believe would return before the other OG Icons) haven't hosted an event in 13 years. I'd really love to see them come back, but a new Icon would be great as well.

Reactions: EnigmaticGear
It’s way tooo early for Icon talk, as I’m pretty sure A&D haven’t even gotten that far yet.. lol. At this point, it’s just as possible of “no icon” year happening.

But if there was to be one, there’s just too many scenarios and choices that we’d all just be throwing darts at the wall as there is no real rhyme or reason from our end to what Universal wants to do next year.

Early Predictions:

IP Houses:

Robert Eggers' Nosferatu (Universal/Focus tie-in house for the fall, though it might make more sense for 2025 depending where it lands on the release schedule)
Horrors of Blumhouse: M3GAN (maybe with a sneak peak scene for M3GAN 2.0), Speak No Evil
A Nightmare on Elm Street (it's been almost 10 years since Freddy vs. Jason, why not go with a recreation of the original?)
Universal Monsters (tempted to say Creature but I also buy the idea of an Epic Universe tie in)

I can maybe buy The Last of Us returning again if Sony wants to keep it close to the second season's early 2025 release. I don't think we'll get another Weeknd house until he makes another album. WB will probably want to hold off on Beetlejuice 2 until 2025 in case of a delay, and I don't see Ghostbusters returning after 2019.

Locations: 5 Soundstages, 2 Sprungs, 2 Parades, Fast & Furious. The event stays at 10 houses.
Shows: Nightmare Fuel again, maybe the lagoon returns?

if they open 9/6 and run wednesday-sunday through October they'd have 45 nights — one more than this year. if they drop the first sunday of november (as they did this year), it'll bring us to 44 nights. my hunch is that's what they'll do rather than go into august, but, who knows!
I know they were added but they had 48 nights. It was 44 at first but they added nights.

Will be interesting to see what they do with the dates next year. Halloween was on a Tuesday and the rest of the event appeared quite deserted - with it on a Thursday I could see them going through Saturday (Nov 2). Labor Day is Sept 2 but I find it hard to believe they would start on Aug 30.

It’s way tooo early for Icon talk, as I’m pretty sure A&D haven’t even gotten that far yet.. lol. At this point, it’s just as possible of “no icon” year happening.

But if there was to be one, there’s just too many scenarios and choices that we’d all just be throwing darts at the wall as there is no real rhyme or reason from our end to what Universal wants to do next year.

And something to add on the Icons, Oddfellow himself wasn't created as an Icon first, and then they came up with everything around him afterwards. Per the UTH tour, he started off with just his house, and when A&D was designing it, they realized how much they can truly expand his lore and carry it throughout the event...that's when he became an Icon.

So, I fully agree that there's no point in trying to figure out if there'll be an Icon or not since something like that won't be apparent early on.

And something to add on the Icons, Oddfellow himself wasn't created as an Icon first, and then they came up with everything around him afterwards. Per the UTH tour, he started off with just his house, and when A&D was designing it, they realized how much they can truly expand his lore and carry it throughout the event...that's when he became an Icon.

So, I fully agree that there's no point in trying to figure out if there'll be an Icon or not since something like that won't be apparent early on.
I mean that’s true, but isn’t that also true for all the icons??

Some predictions I have for Orlando wise. IP's I'll be bringing up more properly on both this and Hollywood--but this is where I'm at.

Dates:
August 30th - November 3rd

House Count: 10
IP's: 5
Originals: 5

IP (Headliners):
- Five Nights at Freddy's (Blumhouse) [B-108]= The ease of working directly with potentially Jim Henson Creature Workshop makes a lot of sense, could allow them to use 3D Printing more properly when it comes down to the suits base models. Don't think this will be as intensive in tech, despite the premise of "Kids possessing animatronics". As for why? FNAF is Universal's highest grossing Horror film since the beginning of the pandemic, beating NOPE's impressive run. Alongside that, 10th year anniversary of the IP.
- Ghostbusters [SS22]= In 2024, the Ghostbusters brand will be getting a major heatwave with the upcoming release of Frozen Empire in March. The Ghostbusters brand is still one of merchandising royalty; and can be easily sought by the GP plus fans. Alongside this; Sony and Universal have continued to be working alongside eachother over the course of the past few years with HHN, and would be a good holdover until TLOU Part 2 debuts on HBO in likely 2025. It will additionally be celebrating the 40th anniversary of the IP itself in turn.
- The Weeknd [SS23] = In 2024 for The Weeknd, there is an expected amount of multiple large projects. First is that a new North American tour has been confirmed by producers affiliated to The Weeknd. Second is Manic Phase's first direct film will be debuting in 2024 starring Abel Tesfaye, Jenna Ortega, and Barry Keoghan; and is rumored to be a horror-like film. Additionally--The Weeknd's final album is rumored to be tied in with the film; and as we have seen with things; HHN is working with Abel for two years at this point with 2022's After Hours Nightmares in Hollywood and Orlando, and After Hours til Dawn Nightmare in Singapore. Think we will see the collaboration end next year as Abel puts up the throne of The Weeknd alongside the final album for him as the titular character.

IP (Secondary):
- Creature from The Black Lagoon [Sprung Tent 2] = Gillman is the last of the Universal Monsters to be given the spotlight; and in turn it feels about time to finally take the chance to do this story. Whether or not it takes place in the Amazonian Jungle, or in a laboratory; I think Creature is on the cards.
- Silent Hill II [Soundstage 40D] = So, why Villain-Con? I think the 10th House is going to swap venue locations, and as we have seen with a house such as Case Files Unearthed; Soundstage 40D is able to carry that of a well paced house full of sets depending on the execution. As for Silent Hill II? In 2024, it is expected that both Silent Hill II; the remake developed by Bloober Team, and Return to Silent Hill; the Requel film, will be out. As of the time of post, RtSH finished primary production before that of the SAG-AFTRA strike and would be unaffected. Alongside that, Konami as a publisher has licensed and worked with outside parties over the past six years. Primarily with Netflix, and the Castlevania shows.

Originals:
- Boris Schuster returns = Boris Schuster is an icon. And in the terms of the wealth that can be told; there is still a lot more you can bring into play with him as a character. It could even be a chance to allow you to revive that of Mary Agana, to spin her off and away from the Bloody Mary angle.
- Vampyr revival = As of the past few years, we have seen Universal continue to pull from legacy content to that of their originals; and perhaps one of the few franchised houses that hasn't gotten that chance feels right to return--and that is Vampyr. Vampyr's last appearance was in 2007 at the Carnival of Carnage in Vampyr: Blood Bath. It would also allow them the chance to repurpose and cut down on costs, with using that of the Vamp: 69' content.

Shows:
- Lagoon Show and Nightmare Fuel return
- Lagoon Show is back to a more "Marathon of Horror" 29 like approach

Some predictions I have for Orlando wise. IP's I'll be bringing up more properly on both this and Hollywood--but this is where I'm at.

Dates:
August 30th - November 3rd

House Count: 10
IP's: 5
Originals: 5

IP (Headliners):
- Five Nights at Freddy's (Blumhouse) [B-108]= The ease of working directly with potentially Jim Henson Creature Workshop makes a lot of sense, could allow them to use 3D Printing more properly when it comes down to the suits base models. Don't think this will be as intensive in tech, despite the premise of "Kids possessing animatronics". As for why? FNAF is Universal's highest grossing Horror film since the beginning of the pandemic, beating NOPE's impressive run. Alongside that, 10th year anniversary of the IP.
- Ghostbusters [SS22]= In 2024, the Ghostbusters brand will be getting a major heatwave with the upcoming release of Frozen Empire in March. The Ghostbusters brand is still one of merchandising royalty; and can be easily sought by the GP plus fans. Alongside this; Sony and Universal have continued to be working alongside eachother over the course of the past few years with HHN, and would be a good holdover until TLOU Part 2 debuts on HBO in likely 2025. It will additionally be celebrating the 40th anniversary of the IP itself in turn.
- The Weeknd [SS23] = In 2024 for The Weeknd, there is an expected amount of multiple large projects. First is that a new North American tour has been confirmed by producers affiliated to The Weeknd. Second is Manic Phase's first direct film will be debuting in 2024 starring Abel Tesfaye, Jenna Ortega, and Barry Keoghan; and is rumored to be a horror-like film. Additionally--The Weeknd's final album is rumored to be tied in with the film; and as we have seen with things; HHN is working with Abel for two years at this point with 2022's After Hours Nightmares in Hollywood and Orlando, and After Hours til Dawn Nightmare in Singapore. Think we will see the collaboration end next year as Abel puts up the throne of The Weeknd alongside the final album for him as the titular character.

IP (Secondary):
- Creature from The Black Lagoon [Sprung Tent 2] = Gillman is the last of the Universal Monsters to be given the spotlight; and in turn it feels about time to finally take the chance to do this story. Whether or not it takes place in the Amazonian Jungle, or in a laboratory; I think Creature is on the cards.
- Silent Hill II [Soundstage 40D] = So, why Villain-Con? I think the 10th House is going to swap venue locations, and as we have seen with a house such as Case Files Unearthed; Soundstage 40D is able to carry that of a well paced house full of sets depending on the execution. As for Silent Hill II? In 2024, it is expected that both Silent Hill II; the remake developed by Bloober Team, and Return to Silent Hill; the Requel film, will be out. As of the time of post, RtSH finished primary production before that of the SAG-AFTRA strike and would be unaffected. Alongside that, Konami as a publisher has licensed and worked with outside parties over the past six years. Primarily with Netflix, and the Castlevania shows.

Originals:
- Boris Schuster returns = Boris Schuster is an icon. And in the terms of the wealth that can be told; there is still a lot more you can bring into play with him as a character. It could even be a chance to allow you to revive that of Mary Agana, to spin her off and away from the Bloody Mary angle.
- Vampyr revival = As of the past few years, we have seen Universal continue to pull from legacy content to that of their originals; and perhaps one of the few franchised houses that hasn't gotten that chance feels right to return--and that is Vampyr. Vampyr's last appearance was in 2007 at the Carnival of Carnage in Vampyr: Blood Bath. It would also allow them the chance to repurpose and cut down on costs, with using that of the Vamp: 69' content.

Shows:
- Lagoon Show and Nightmare Fuel return
- Lagoon Show is back to a more "Marathon of Horror" 29 like approach
Five nights at Freddy’s is the video game/ movie property that’s coming I don’t think they want to steal the spotlight of that.

Five nights at Freddy’s is the video game/ movie property that’s coming I don’t think they want to steal the spotlight of that.

FNAF and Silent Hill operate in two different mediums of both videogame and film based horror; and as long as you differentiate that of game and film (like what they did this year with The Last of Us), I don't think it's as much of an issue as some are expecting.

The age demographics are rapidly differentiated compared to that of the two brands; and serve different clienteles despite their original affiliations to gaming.

Last edited:
Likewise I don’t expect
Ghostbuster’s or SH to come maybe 2025, although This is speculation Anything could happen or we will be Surprised.‍

I would personally prefer to see the Silent Hill franchise return as a Scare Zone in Central Park anyways. It would be so eerie considering the density of fog that location usually gets.

We would also need to see that franchise make some bank with the GP once the remakes, new film, & new entries start hitting the market. We'll find out if that happens soon enough,

Likewise I don’t expect
Ghostbuster’s or SH to come maybe 2025, although This is speculation Anything could happen or we will be Surprised.‍
I'll disagree on Ghostbusters--as it feels like the kind of an IP that'd be a safe consideration if they did the meetings around the time of the SAG-AFTRA strikes as of July to now. Frozen Empire wrapped production; and it is celebrating an anniversary year. Plus with it's past ties to Universal; and Sony's relationship with in-park collaboration; it feels like one of the big no-brainers in general for the event.

I would personally prefer to see the Silent Hill franchise return as a Scare Zone in Central Park anyways. It would be so eerie considering the density of fog that location usually gets.

We would also need to see that franchise make some bank with the GP once the remakes, new film, & new entries start hitting the market. We'll find out if that happens soon enough,

It's a fair point you raise in the need to see how Silent Hill favors now in the GP positioning. Hell I nearly put Nosferatu in it's spot instead due to it's more deep ties to that of Focus Features and Universal Pictures; but I think that is my wildcard of choice.

I'll disagree on Ghostbusters--as it feels like the kind of an IP that'd be a safe consideration if they did the meetings around the time of the SAG-AFTRA strikes as of July to now. Frozen Empire wrapped production; and it is celebrating an anniversary year. Plus with it's past ties to Universal; and Sony's relationship with in-park collaboration; it feels like one of the big no-brainers in general for the event.

It's a fair point you raise in the need to see how Silent Hill favors now in the GP positioning. Hell I nearly put Nosferatu in it's spot instead due to it's more deep ties to that of Focus Features and Universal Pictures; but I think that is my wildcard of choice.
I understand your point about Ghostbusters turning 40 and Frozen Empire releasing next Spring, but what would another Ghostbusters house entail?

Would it just be a rehash of the 2019 house? Because I personally don't think Afterlife would work very well. Frozen Empire is a different story as we can only go off the trailer rn. Unless the house would be a mish-mash of the first two movies?....