Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 60 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
When is the schedule typically announced? And is there any reason to think that Monday and Tueday won't still be off nights? We may be in Florida for a week in October and might consider extending the trip a couple days to sneak off to Orlando.

When is the schedule typically announced? And is there any reason to think that Monday and Tueday won't still be off nights? We may be in Florida for a week in October and might consider extending the trip a couple days to sneak off to Orlando.
Dates have been announced on 3/23 and 3/24 the past two years. They were announced 3/5 in 2021. I assume Monday and Tuesday will continue to be off nights, but I don't have any inside information.

So apparently I'm the guy who wants all the houses no one wants! Chucky in particular deserves a second shot - and judging by guests last year, he seems to move merch. The only returning properties that would really make me roll my eyes would be Saw and Purge, and I don't see any chance of the latter returning. Saw, on the other hand...
You aren't wrong about moving merch. Arguably #1 cosplay after generic vampire/witch/goth too.

Saw never gets a lot of love around here but every variation I've seen seemed to have decent lines. I think gen pop loves it even if the super-fans don't. And I thought Purge was a dead franchise? (Until the inevitable reboot.)

Reactions: Ahmanet
(Until the inevitable reboot.)
No reboot necessary, they've got plans for a 6th film... whenever it activates for 12hrs.. it'll happen eventually.

Here's swag given out in Hollywood during 2018's event at the "The First Purge" house:
1000009593.jpg
1000009591.jpg
The brochure to participate in the first Purge & a mini first-aid kit! ....its the little things.

Last edited:
So apparently I'm the guy who wants all the houses no one wants! Chucky in particular deserves a second shot - and judging by guests last year, he seems to move merch. The only returning properties that would really make me roll my eyes would be Saw and Purge, and I don't see any chance of the latter returning. Saw, on the other hand...

I want an abandoned toy store, with the path made entirely by toy shelves. A true "indoor scare zone."

You aren't wrong about moving merch. Arguably #1 cosplay after generic vampire/witch/goth too.

Saw never gets a lot of love around here but every variation I've seen seemed to have decent lines. I think gen pop loves it even if the super-fans don't. And I thought Purge was a dead franchise? (Until the inevitable reboot.)
Part of its personal preference. I strongly dislike “cruel” horror. That may seem an odd distinction to make about the genre, but there’s something uniquely mean spirited about Saw and its ilk that isn’t found in the silliness of series like Friday the 13th or Chucky.

Putting that aside, Saw makes for a bad house because the settings are utterly boring and the nature of the IP means most of the maze is just looking at Scareactors in traps (which aren’t themselves particularly visually interesting). Honestly, you might just as well have a museum display of the films’ props.

As for Purge… in modern Hollywood no franchise is ever truly dead. Especially not a cheap-to-make horror franchise.

Putting that aside, Saw makes for a bad house because the settings are utterly boring and the nature of the IP means most of the maze is just looking at Scareactors in traps (which aren’t themselves particularly visually interesting). Honestly, you might just as well have a museum display of the films’ props.
Agreed. I think there can be fun settings, but most mazes themed to the films feel very passive.

Last edited:
Part of its personal preference. I strongly dislike “cruel” horror. That may seem an odd distinction to make about the genre, but there’s something uniquely mean spirited about Saw and its ilk that isn’t found in the silliness of series like Friday the 13th or Chucky.

As for Purge… in modern Hollywood no franchise is ever truly dead. Especially not a cheap-to-make horror franchise.
While I'm a huge fan of Saw, I can definitely understand that preference (heck, it's the reason I never want to see Terrifier at the event).

Reactions: ShellyFinkelstein
I liked the route they tried executing with 2009's house being an entire trap itself while showcasing recognizable traps from the films.

Could it have been better? Yes. But there's only so much that can be done with the IP, especially depending on the house location

Reactions: HHN Maddux
I love Saw as a horror movie franchise, but I've never been a fan of turning it into a haunted house because, as you said, it's just walking through a museum of people in the traps.

Universal can't put you in a trap, so I think it just defeats the whole purpose of Saw and makes the concept of a Saw house incredibly underwhelming and not scary.

My group loved the Chucky house last year ... his photo op at Cabana was fun too

Fine if he returns bigger and better especially if FNAF is out

Actually with you, not a fan of the movies or the houses, just saying quite a few are, I don't think Ripley would describe it as the IP "no one wanted" or whatever he said.

And yeah, maybe "dormant" instead of "dead." TV show seemed to bomb, which is a shame, because the self-aware comedy segments were some of the best parts of the franchise.

Since there really aren't any credible rumors we can run with and discuss right now, I wanted to put a question out to all of you.

Do you think A&D is still chasing some older classics that have never made it to HHN yet? I grew up in the 80's (yes, I'm friggin old), and there are so many movies I remember watching over and over as a huge horror fan. Some of them are downright classics, IMO, which have never gotten the HHN treatment like Phatasm or Lost Boys. For the record, I'd love to see both of these some day.. but especially Phantasm.

Other than those two and excluding any Stephen King related content since we know what THAT issue is,, what about some of the others that could produce different stories like Night of the Demons or Trick or Treat (NOT the Trick r Treat with Sam, but the heavy metal one that has an Ozzy cameo as a preacher of all things - lol). When I was kid, Night of the Demons scared the crap out of me, but that's likely because my parents sent me to a religious school when I was young and even though I'm NOT religious now.. certain things freak me out. The Trick or Treat movie could be a blast and would have a terrific soundtrack to go with it. Of course, now I want to know if any of you have ever seen that movie?

I ask the question because I am reading through this thread and it's a lot of "Oh, they should bring Chucky back or Megan or Saw.." ad nauseum. Honestly, some of these things I'm sick to death of. We don't need to keep repeating the same crap. While the originals balance out this issue (thank god), it would still be nice to see IPs that have never been at HHN before. I want them to dig deep.. there is more to horror than possessed dolls, slashers or for god's sake, video games.

Since there really aren't any credible rumors we can run with and discuss right now, I wanted to put a question out to all of you.

Do you think A&D is still chasing some older classics that have never made it to HHN yet? I grew up in the 80's (yes, I'm friggin old), and there are so many movies I remember watching over and over as a huge horror fan. Some of them are downright classics, IMO, which have never gotten the HHN treatment like Phatasm or Lost Boys. For the record, I'd love to see both of these some day.. but especially Phantasm.

Other than those two and excluding any Stephen King related content since we know what THAT issue is,, what about some of the others that could produce different stories like Night of the Demons or Trick or Treat (NOT the Trick r Treat with Sam, but the heavy metal one that has an Ozzy cameo as a preacher of all things - lol). When I was kid, Night of the Demons scared the crap out of me, but that's likely because my parents sent me to a religious school when I was young and even though I'm NOT religious now.. certain things freak me out. The Trick or Treat movie could be a blast and would have a terrific soundtrack to go with it. Of course, now I want to know if any of you have ever seen that movie?

I ask the question because I am reading through this thread and it's a lot of "Oh, they should bring Chucky back or Megan or Saw.." ad nauseum. Honestly, some of these things I'm sick to death of. We don't need to keep repeating the same crap. While the originals balance out this issue (thank god), it would still be nice to see IPs that have never been at HHN before. I want them to dig deep.. there is more to horror than possessed dolls, slashers or for god's sake, video games.
I'm sure that A&D definitely has a lot of white whale IPs they'd love to see!

Personally I'd want to see The Lost Boys, Return of the Living Dead, Gremlins and Candyman (not 80s, but yeah). Unfortunately I don't see much of a reason why any of them would come to the event unless it's something A&D REALLY pushes for. I think the only chance we would have had for Candyman would have been after the newest movie, but alas!