Harmonious | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Harmonious

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Zoomed in photos never tell the whole story. I bet if you asked, 90% of Disney fans don't even realize there are several islands in the middle of that lagoon, "blocking the view." It's a massive body of water for a theme park. These barges, are not.

They're not so much ruining the view, as they are changing it slightly. The daytime fountains are meant to make a small eyesore a pretty part of the landscape also, so whatevs. Not sure this is the hill I'm ready to die on.

Seeing a photo without zoom puts into perspective for me:

There is only one of them out there and the big circular water screen isn't out there yet

It's as bad as Universal's big truss water screens or their movie balls

I really don't understand why they can't bring it out every day like IllumiNations

There is only one of them out there and the big circular water screen isn't out there yet

It's as bad as Universal's big truss water screens or their movie balls

I really don't understand why they can't bring it out every day like IllumiNations
But this lagoon is many several times larger than Universal Florida's. It was one thing when the movie ball took up half the width of the lagoon, but this is out there in the middle of the freaking Atlantic.

Sorry, but I just don't care.

...But then again, the giant Guardians building doesn't bother me either.

But this lagoon is many several times larger than Universal Florida's. It was one thing when the movie ball took up half the width of the lagoon, but this is out there in the middle of the freaking Atlantic.

Sorry, but I just don't care.

...But then again, the giant Guardians building doesn't bother me either.
These are also twice as big as Universal's balls

I wouldn't be complaining about it if I didn't know they literally had space backstage where they could park it

And a football field sized platform that raises and lowers in California

I will reserve judgment (minus some pre-judging haha) till I see the final final product....and I'm sure the show is going to be stunning

Reactions: Frogki
Presumably the time required to bring them out would necessitate the bridge being up for too long a period of time.

To which I would have said, "Well, maybe you should rethink this concept, then." But alas.
Maybe they could line them up head to tail and paint the sides to look like water dragons or something?

Well, the continuous fountains will be Disney's attempt to make them look appealing.

So they're hoping.
I think they hope to hide them in a water screen but is there enough water in the lagoon to do that? Running water on them will result in lots of issues for the other parts as you pointed out, I hope their waterproofing works.

Courtesy of Martin over on Magic, a presumably fairly accurate idea of what to expect...
509d4cd1-73f0-47fb-b244-0290cd6b3932-jpeg.518371

They'd be better off if they sunk, instead of floating.

If they didn't go with the screen route which requires electrical rooms/components that certainly can't go under water, then yeah that would be a better option.

It'll be interesting seeing all the barges in the lagoon, since admittedly they're not the most visually appealing things, and I'm not too sure if fountains/waterfalls will change that.

Reactions: Mad Dog
If they didn't go with the screen route which requires electrical rooms/components that certainly can't go under water, then yeah that would be a better option.

It'll be interesting seeing all the barges in the lagoon, since admittedly they're not the most visually appealing things, and I'm not too sure if fountains/waterfalls will change that.
Actually, I was joking with the sunk comment....But, yes, you're right, it would look better if it was like World of Color layout....as an aside, I always thought the USF barges were bad, but this, at first glance, seems
many times worse.

If they didn't go with the screen route which requires electrical rooms/components that certainly can't go under water, then yeah that would be a better option
But they already figured out that issue as well. Just make the water the screens.

I really think the "sightline" argument is being over done here, especially knowing they had the foresight to install fountains that will operate during the day. Epcot has such a big lagoon, it's almost a crime not to stick something in it.

I at the very least think perhaps there should be a "wait and see" approach taken before a pile-on begins. The show, nor the barges at daytime are operational yet... Things tend to be ugly until they are done.

Reactions: RevFreako
I get that it’s just social media, but that’s pretty much the little brother syndrome that they’ve been trying to get away from.

Anyways, for scale:

It's pretty big lol

I bet when they're fountains, this'll be a new popular photo background in the center, when walking towards world showcase.

Reactions: RevFreako
I'm now disappointed the Festival Center (probably) isn't getting built... because with the added height, that would have been the only place a person could actually see The American Adventure from that side of the lagoon, or get an unobstructed view of any part of World Showcase from that side.

There are a couple excellent posts on the Magic thread for this project (believe it or not!) breaking down the placement of these barges; assuming the other barges are of the same height, when looking into the lagoon from the water's edge and from an average person's height, it would almost appear the barges have been purposefully designed to block out pavilions.

Yeah, i'm not judging anything on photos, especially zoomed in ones. I'll wait until everything is in place, the daytime fountain backdrop is running, and I can see it in person before I make a judgement.

Personally, i'm more worried about the quality of this show than anything.

Personally, i'm more worried about the quality of this show than anything.

Without getting into my feelings about the purported content of the show (which I'm on the record about elsewhere in this thread), a more logistical area of concern is that it would seem HarmonioUS is going to have many less-than-ideal angles from which to watch the show. Rather than being an experience that can be viewed from (essentially) anywhere around the lagoon, it appears now that Disney wants to cram everybody into basically two primary locations.

Unless all the barges are going to rotate, or something, but that seems unlikely.

I don't think WOC type show would work at Epcot

It's a multi-plane projection show, but it only works from a very specific viewing location

I wish they would have designed these to be a bit more interesting

Also, it's only a matter of time before fountains stop working, streaks from constant water on the screen appear,
and just general upkeep cost eliminates the day fountains all together...perhaps worse

Reactions: belloq87