1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

HHN '18: Employee Preview Night

Discussion in 'Halloween Horror Nights 2018' started by Brian G., Sep 12, 2018.

1. Freak

Freak Veteran Member

Looking forward to tomorrow, but I re-read the EP Night thread from last year. I remember how Aaron's opinions were similar to mine. Everyone was over-the-moon with the Shinning and I ended up hating it. I'm looking forward to seeing what I think of everything.

2. rageofthegods

rageofthegods Veteran Member

Here's the one for UCM:

That channel also has walkthroughs for all the other ones except the Terror Tram.

3. hhnlover

hhnlover Veteran Member

i honestly loved the way they did it in the maze. it's actually in my #5 of best houses so far
    #1 poltergeist
    #2 stranger things
    #3 classic monsters [too much of long black halls in a scene]
    #4 trick r treat
    #5 blumhouse of horrors [ not saying i hate the house, if this was put in a meh year like 2017 then this will be in the 2 spot but there's 4 other amazing mazes this year]
    #6 halloween 4 [didn't have the charm of 2015's or 16's]
    #7 first purge [i mean they tried, again not saying it's bad, it was alright]

4. horrornights789

horrornights789 Veteran Member

The channel that@rageofthegods shared has videos of all the mazes, and I found another pretty good walkthrough of H4.

At least that’s what I could gather from the video.

5. rageofthegods

It's entirely possible that it was space concerns, more than anything. The sets that were there were huge and Waterworld isn't a big venue at all. I'm sad about some of the cuts/finale, but some of the other mazes look so good that I can't be too upset (Halloween 4 is not a hill I'm prepared to die on).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  6. Fallow

Fallow Veteran Member

Looking at the videos, they overdid it on two elements:

Yeesh.

7. rageofthegods

I'd almost argue that the "Hollywood formula" now is that the scene right before the Exorcist style gauntlet is actually the finale, while the hallway afterwards is the "one last scare."

If you think about it that way, the mazes make a lot more sense:

8. Fallow

Fallow Veteran Member

I'd agree, but when you stretch it to a gauntlet, it stops being "one final scare" - it becomes a whole new scene entirely. Either commit to one or build out an actual final scene.

SpookySkeletini likes this.
  9. rageofthegods

I actually think a short little gauntlet after a climactic scene really works, but I will agree that it'd be nice to have some theming in the future.

Really, once Hollywood moved to 7 mazes after 2016, it almost feels like they didn't have enough walls/lights/paint/whatever to properly fill out each maze, so the black walls and gauntlets come in. I honestly think they did a good job of working around that this year with the ending gauntlets and chainlink fences, but I only expect the mazes to get more fleshed out as time goes on.

10. Freak

Freak Veteran Member

I really hope they hold off on adding houses for a while because they really not to chill with the black walls. They need the budget to fill those out.

Also how was the alcohol situation? Same as last year?

11. ush.hacker

ush.hacker Veteran Member

All these people rating a maze they haven't walked through yet, smh

There wasnt alcohol served last night.

12. rageofthegods

One very nitpicky thing I noticed from the videos:

They really should make the Invisible Man's glasses+nose blacklight, because it's really hard to see otherwise.

EDIT: Just one more thing I noticed about UCM: Almost the whole maze has ceilings!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    marip123 likes this.
  13. Wesker69

Wesker69 Veteran Member

The black wallz of doom are definitely a maze killer for both Halloween & Monsters. It definitely is a budget cut situation. In regards to Halloween, after the previous 2 finales being so great, this year is very underwhelming for its finale. As for Monsters, the black wall segments really take you out of the moment because the rest of the maze is so well themed.

While the glasses aren't noticeable, I will say that the Invisible Man looked amazing in person under the black light, but it was just all cameo & no scare. Like seriously, if they had done the multiple mannequin gag with the invisible man (complete with a black out/blacklight strobe gimmick to make him "disappear"), that scene would've been scary as hell.

SpookySkeletini likes this.
  14. DTH

DTH Member

Question for those that have gone:
    Which maze do you think will suffer the most from light bleed and we should wait until it's nighttime to go through?

15. Fallow

Fallow Veteran Member

Poltergeist kinda depends on darkness for some of its bits. Ditto with Trick r Treat.

ush.hacker likes this.
  16. DTH

DTH Member

Dang it, I wanted to hit Poltergeist second. Maybe I can postpone it after HOB and First Purge. I'll check wait times tonight and see if that's possible before I try it tomorrow.

17. Fallow

Fallow Veteran Member

You'll probably be fine, it's decently covered... but if we're being nitpicky.

18. rageofthegods

Blumhouse has some pretty major video effects too, if we're being honest. Maybe consider hitting Purge first once you get to the backlot.

19. Rideguy70

Rideguy70 Member

There's always a lot of talk about budget cuts in Hollywood... does Orlando have the same problem? I never hear about it there, but I don't really visit their threads as much since I'm typically not able to attend.

20. rageofthegods

I think it's generally accepted that Orlando's HHN budget is much higher than Hollywood's. They also have other advantages too, like more space in the park (Hollywood's soundstages are often taken up by shooting, whereas Orlando's are usually more available. Plus, Orlando is just a bigger park, although we do have the backlot.)

EDIT: It should be noted that Orlando was probably also hit with budget cuts and theme changes at the last minute last year; there were reports that many rooms were recycled in The Harvest, for example.