HHN 25: The Walking Dead: The Living and the Dead | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN 25: The Walking Dead: The Living and the Dead

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
After 4 years, you don't think that even the general public is thinking, "Again?"

Reactions: Cole
Peoples preferences and likes are so varied that it would be pretty tough to field a line up that everyone concerned wants to see. I could understand all the hate if the lines for WD were short, but they're just the opposite. Usually I agree with you Cole, but on this one I think the hardcore fans are being a bit too sensitive & out of touch with the feelings of the GP. Heh, lots of good houses, there will always be a few houses that some people don't want to see. The poster that said, "this is gong(sic) to bring the attendance down by a good chunk cause of this dumb-ass decision" is being very unrealistic. I think if you bet against that thought it would be a truly sucker bet.
I definitely agree with the points you brought up. This is more than just another IP in the lineup though. To me TWD is the one thing holding HHN back from getting over it's dumb old ways. We are sensitive but it's not for no reason. Also was the crazy line last year because of the popularity or the capacity of the bigger house?

I definitely agree with the points you brought up. This is more than just another IP in the lineup though. To me TWD is the one thing holding HHN back from getting over it's dumb old ways. We are sensitive but it's not for no reason. Also was the crazy line last year because of the popularity or the capacity of the bigger house?

Crazy line probably was a combo of many things, but I'd guess mostly due to its location at a prime area of the park known for always having long waits.

I know people that specifically want to come to HHN for their first time just because of TWD. I'm going to do what I always do and hope for the best and know that Creative will do everything they can to make it a good house.

Also to put a different spin on the point about money, which would you rather have
TWD and AWIL, FvJ, Insidious, Jack, and 4 more houses or Ozzy Ozbourne's trip through Senility, Oh Noes Its Coming Right at Me!!! in 3d, maybe Jack, and 5 more houses.

Money may be the root of all evil but does also allow us to get some pretty cool toys.

Reactions: SeventyOne
To those saying this season provided nothing here are a few things off the top of my head.

Facade is Terminus
Scene 1 terminus slaughter room
Transition through woods
Scene 2 The church with walkers
Transition
Scene 3 enter the flooded food store
Transition passed the fire truck and highway into the abandoned neighborhood.
Scene 4 the room where (spoiler) was bit
Transition out of the house through field
Scene 5 the hospital where (spoiler) was killed
Transition passed elevator shaft through walker filled gated area
Scene 6 the walker trap trucks and into
Scene 7 enter warehouse with grenade body impaled being eaten
Transition through woods with W walker car
Scene 8 walk through Alexandria as you exit.

Boom. The Walking Dead: The Living and The Dead.

There is no "slap in the face," it's exactly as JungleSkip described. Art and Design is given a job to do, their hands are completely tied on the matter. Am I thrilled to see it again? No. But it makes money and the company would be stupid to not bring it back. People forget that this last season's premiere had the highest viewership of any T.V. drama ever, so there is an audience for this type of thing. I am thankful it's relegated to one house.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I'm just going to remind everyone that it isn't our job to defend Universal's financially-driven decisions. We're allowed to demand whatever we want if they want our money. We may be in the vast minority, sure, but you aren't disallowed from having an opinion because "it makes financial sense."

I stand by the powers that be use Walking Dead as a crutch and it's going to come back to bite them when the show's gravy train runs out of gas in however many years. No other show/film has the same appeal as WD (mostly because it's a drama, not a horror property).

Time will tell. I'm sure this house will be fine. I wish they devoted less financial resources into making it "passable," since lord knows A&D wants nothing to do with it.

I'm just going to remind everyone that it isn't our job to defend Universal's financially-driven decisions. We're allowed to demand whatever we want if they want our money. We may be in the vast minority, sure, but you aren't disallowed from having an opinion because "it makes financial sense."

I stand by the powers that be use Walking Dead as a crutch and it's going to come back to bite them when the show's gravy train runs out of gas in however many years. No other show/film has the same appeal as WD (mostly because it's a drama, not a horror property).

Time will tell. I'm sure this house will be fine. I wish they devoted less financial resources into making it "passable," since lord knows A&D wants nothing to do with it.

I don't think it's a defense. Just realistic observations.

Reactions: JungleSkip
One observation that I'll make is that the majority of people who seem excited about TWD coming back are people who missed it the first 3 times it happened and really want to see it before the miss the chance. I think the best way to get the crowds in would be to announce that TWD is returning for the final time.

This still will have one of the longest lines of HHN. I'm not sure what the point of complaining is. They don't make decisions based solely off of fanboys. I'm sure this surveyed very well with the general public and that's why its back!

Reactions: Mad Dog
Dissapointed. Not only in the announcement but in the creative team. I know it makes money, I know it's mostly marketing and I know we are in the minority. But this has been the biggest outcry in the history of horror nights, everybody say it with me "no more walking dead". It's not only said by countless users on many forums but reviewers of this event (big websites like ITM and TPI) say it too. I'm not gonna deny, we are getting a TON of fan service this year, jack is back, Freddy vs jason the list is going on and on. But this is just a slap in the face to us, the fans. Oh and for those who say "it's not gonna be that big of a deal, jacks gonna be headlining", just wait until the giftshops are 50% TWD. Rant over

I've never gotten TWD at HHN for I feel the show is more about human interactions while trying to maintain humanity and less about horror. This year, I see it as anyone could boycot this house and still go through the same number of houses we had last year.

I only read this board and I often see folks saying they make it down for they missed the other years, so I think it still brings folks in. The way I see it, if creative does well, there is a chance these folks will want to come back even when TWD is no longer here.

Anyway, the last few years, I have talked to a lot of folks who seem to state they are at the event to see TWD house (conversation is my favorite thing to do whilst waiting in the queues during HHN).

Whatever the reason's, UOR seems to be doing something correctly as the event seems to do well.

I wonder though if the continued use TWD is the reason for increased attendance instead of just natural increase due to notoriety of event now. This year already seemed like it was going attract crazy crowds before TWD was officially announced. I'd argue we've seen it's continued usage because of merch more so than impact on attendance of event.

Funny (to me), I was thinking the other day that maybe they were waiting to announce another house as a way to look at changes in ticket sale patterns...sort of let sales soak a bit before announcing the next IP.

I'm not saying this makes a lot of sense since I think folks get tickets closer to the event, but it would be another way to look at data points (for UOR) when thinking about the impact of big IP's to the event.

One of the most popular shows on TV

One of the most popular IP houses in HHN history

This being a 25th Ann. Retrospective, TWD has earned it's place.

One more year, and we're done.

Deal with it!

Reactions: SeventyOne
I can't watch this crappy show yet another season just so I can piece together a house. Someone got a summary for your pal Keeper??

After 4 years, you don't think that even the general public is thinking, "Again?"
Nope. I am one of the much maligned GP and am tickled pink about TWD. I haven't been able to make it out to HHN to see previous incarnations of TWD so I am THRILLED it is coming back (as I am sure are many members of the ignorant masses who are not able to attend every year). Hate to tell you this, super fans, but it's not all about you. The event has to cater to both new and repeat business. The return of Jack (I personally couldn't care less) appeals to repeat business and the return of TWD appeals to new business (and, dare I say, some super fans who would never admit to such a thing on any board for fear of being kicked metaphorically kicked in the teeth).

Stopped watching the show halfway through Season 5, so I may be confused a bit going through the house. Show got boring to me. It's the same scenarios in different locations. I'm not thrilled it's back for a 4th year but life goes on. Complaining's not gonna help anything, so what's the point. Although I gotta admit, I am excited to see how they pull of the flooded food bank scene.

Well who's to say it's ever stopping? Last year was the best way to end it and now with this unmemorable season becoming a house and the the spinoff show ahead, this could become an HHN staple witch just sucks. They did it all with this IP, normal house, basically an entire event and then the first ever mega house. Will the fans who loved going to the event in the past couple years specifically for walking dead be disapointed in the fact that it's going back to square one?

I have some major mixed feelings about this house. I'm excited to see what they're able to come up with in terms of set designs, especially the flooded basement scene that was confirmed on twitter. And as a fan of the show, I enjoy seeing it all brought to life. But on the other hand, the zombies have lost their effect on me and I wish we could see an original house or even a new IP just to mix things up a bit. The scenery may change, but in the end it's still just zombies.
Once I go through the house (and probably see it during UTH) my opinion might change, but for now I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

Reactions: WolfmanJ