1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

HHN 28: Academy of Villains - Cyberpunk

Discussion in 'Scare Zones & Shows' started by Brian G., Jun 7, 2018.

1. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Great idea. Schedule a meet up and have everyone bring a tool of destruction. :thumbsup::lol:

2. Elegia

Elegia Rookie

[​IMG]

Now that I’m putting in all my requests and I’d also like to see the finale of Dirty Dancing with zombies/vampires/werewolves. #BeKindAndMakeItHappenAoV

Robert Bliss, faceleg and Brian G. like this.
  3. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

When do we get a B&T house?

s8film40 and happy bunny rabbit like this.
  4. AlexanderMBush

AlexanderMBush Legendary Member

Christopher Ripley is now hearing of the AoV location being FFL.

maroonmol and happy bunny rabbit like this.
  5. Legacy

Legacy Veteran Member

You mean he's finally hearing what I have literally been intimating for a month?

6. Doctor Morgus

Doctor Morgus Newcomer

Seriously! This guy!

MartyMcFly likes this.
  7. v0latilebear

v0latilebear Newcomer

Why would Legal have issues with a comedy show?

8. AlexanderMBush

I would assume a similar reason to why Hollywood didn't continue, especially with the two names that we're associated with that kind of show for the horror season.

happy bunny rabbit likes this.
  9. Legacy

Legacy Veteran Member

Could have been rights. Could have been concerns about hewing too close to infringement. Either are legal matters.

SeventyOne and AlexanderMBush like this.
  10. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Veteran Member

Main issue is IP infringement. However you slice it, you're doing a theme park show with another company's characters. This was a huge issue in 2006 when B&Ts Jack Sparrow was basically just a better version of the Disney version. It's a more minor thing, but even music licensing is a challenge when doing a show--you may have heard the law is any band can perform any song live, which is true, except in a theatrical production. I know a second Moana parody was cut last year, I assume for fears stemming from that.

As for the real people parodied, still have to worry about defamation--tough to prove in this day and age, but not impossible--as well as bad press. Think the blow-up over the Mitt Romney sketch in 2012. One joke in poor taste about Bill Cosby or Trump could get the company lit up on social media and TV.

Partly it's the hypersensitive era we seem to live in. But a lot of it is also HHN is an international event now, not a goofy after-hours thing put on for a couple thousand hard-core local fans. You can get away with a lot more when no one's paying attention to you.

11. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Good legal perspective points, all. :thumbsup:

SeventyOne likes this.
  12. v0latilebear

v0latilebear Newcomer

Not to derail too much, but isn’t parody protected free speech? SNL gets away with it

13. s8film40

s8film40 Veteran Member

My guess is even if they may ultimately come out on top they don't want to go to court and also want to avoid issues that potentially create bad PR. I think the fact that B&T was a tradition and was hard for them to let go probably kept this type of show around well past it's time for the current state of Universal. I think shows like AoV and Jabbawockeez are what we can expect from now on. I could see them doing something with a little more comedy, but the issue with that for now and the next few years is it would be immediately compared to B&T and without the edgy content would get poor reviews.

14. JungleSkip

JungleSkip Premium Member

I think it's a miracle we had B&T as long as we did. I'm not happy that it's gone, but I understand why it is.

What I don't understand is why FFL is still standing, but that's for another thread

MrRoamer and SeventyOne like this.
  15. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

Sean stole my words but it's a small miracle B&T lasted as long as it did. And with FFL still standing I think the "they wanted to put MoM there" as the only reason for its closure to bed (also the fact they had back up locations scoped out if FFL did close).

Sounds more like it's a combination of the new movie and Paramount wanting more control, legal, FFL closure, and a changing of the guard who are looking for change.

It's complicated. Look at something like the National Enquirer who falls back on "parody and rumor" yet lost a famous legal battle with Carol Burnett. But where is the parody line when you have a literal character named Jack Sparrow in a theme park show down the road from WDW?

SeventyOne and s8film40 like this.
  16. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Veteran Member

It is, but the line is very blurry (and very expensive to litigate, particularly against the best IP lawyers in the business on Team Rodent). I don't think Universal Legal is looking to go to the wall for (in their eyes) a silly show that plays 6 weeks out of the year without generating any real revenue.

JoeCamel and Mad Dog like this.
  17. Lucky Planet

Lucky Planet Veteran Member

out of the dozens of things they could have done and they tried for a clone of Bill and ted?
    kinda pathetic..... good riddance i guess

18. AlexanderMBush

Odds are, they thought of how The Hanging has been kicking for this long, and that they've had it be starring a pair of Original characters associated with the park in some regard.

SukaVayne73 and Lucky Planet like this.
  19. UniversalRBLX

UniversalRBLX Veteran Member

My guess is that AoV fits some comedy between each dance number. Show will probably reach 20-25 minutes now.

20. SukaVayne73

SukaVayne73 Rookie

How I would love to see AoV do the "BLOOD GOD--DRACULA" show from Vibrancy in 2016. Especially since on the FFL stage with the blackout part. One of my favorites, although not really 80's style. So with 80's style show for AoV, like to see some BEAT STREET, BREAKDANCING. Lots of Moonwalking, the Running Man, Cabbage Patch, & The Worm. Hey add in some 80's Ballroom Scene Vogue.