HHN Drink Changes | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN Drink Changes

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It’s more and more becoming an event for kids as well. I don’t see them restricting under 18. While I agree restricting those under 18 to be with their parents or a gaurdian would be smart it gives the impression the event isn’t appropriate for them. I don’t like it either, but HHN becoming a more family friendly event seems to be the future.
Did the girls on stripper poles give you that premonition of the future?

It’s more and more becoming an event for kids as well. I don’t see them restricting under 18. While I agree restricting those under 18 to be with their parents or a gaurdian would be smart it gives the impression the event isn’t appropriate for them. I don’t like it either, but HHN becoming a more family friendly event seems to be the future.
I hope that's not the future as that's not what the event is about. I wouldn't be opposed to a separate event similar to the one Disney does that's for the whole family, but it probably wouldn't compete with Disney's so why bother.

I mean it is what it is. There are more kids every year. Eventually if the demographic attending changes, the event will change with it. I wouldn’t say it’s “on the parents” many kids enjoy the event quite a bit there’s nothing wrong with that. Certainly it makes me mad when they come and complain about the adult nature of the event. HHN is no more an adult event though than F&W. Universal even gets real specific on this subject in the surveys at the park exit. It’s obviously something they’re interested in following.

Don't have anything to back it up, and it's only a guess, but perhaps the reason for more kids with parents at HHN is that there's been a huge increase in on site hotel rooms, and probably an accompanying increase in on site tourists with children. With IOA closing so early, bringing your kids to HHN is your only alternative if you want to visit a Universal park in the evening.

I think it’s that and also Halloween in general is becoming a bigger more mainstream holiday and it’s more “normal” or accepted for kids to go to haunted houses than it was in the past.

I mean it is what it is. There are more kids every year. Eventually if the demographic attending changes, the event will change with it. I wouldn’t say it’s “on the parents” many kids enjoy the event quite a bit there’s nothing wrong with that.

It is 100% on the parents. Kids don't know what they want. It's the parents decision to bring them. There are certainly kids that may be interested, but there also kids who have no idea what to expect.

HHN is no more an adult event though than F&W.

That's a very broad paint brush comparing the 2. I get what you're getting at, but one event doesn't feature blood, death, decay, etc.....

It is 100% on the parents. Kids don't know what they want. It's the parents decision to bring them. There are certainly kids that may be interested, but there also kids who have no idea what to expect.

That's a very broad paint brush comparing the 2. I get what you're getting at, but one event doesn't feature blood, death, decay, etc.....
Yeah it’s on the parents to decide what they’re going to let they’re kids do, but it’s not unreasonable for kids to be at the event. There are kids that can’t handle the Horror Makeup show. Everyone is different. My only point is it seems to me from my observation that it’s becoming more normal for kids to be at the event. It’s still overwhelmingly adults, but I’ve just noticed a shifting pattern is all. I’m not saying they should change the event for kids, I’m just saying if it becomes more and more common for kids to be at the event the event will naturally change. It already has somewhat.

Reactions: Nick and SeventyOne
In my opinion, if they can ask for your ID to go to Citywalk after certain hours, they should be able to do the same for HHN given the nature of the event. There's really no difference here as far as I'm concerned.

In my opinion, if they can ask for your ID to go to Citywalk after certain hours, they should be able to do the same for HHN given the nature of the event. There's really no difference here as far as I'm concerned.
If they wanted to they could. They don’t though so that tells you where they stand with it.

Reactions: SeventyOne
honestly now that I'm old, i'd love an adults only 18+ paradise... but besides teens being "annoying" there is no real reason that 15 year olds shouldn't be able to go to Halloween Horror Nights with their friends. It's not a host bar, it's not a night club... it's a haunted theme park. As much as "drinking is part of the event" it's 200% secondary to the haunted houses and rides If you made it 18+ Universal would be losing TONS of money. and as long as they are behaved there really is no reason for them not to be there. I don't think because Universal allows a 16 year old admittance they are after the Sesame Street crowd. Again I would be happy with it being that way but I kind of find it unreasonable.

Yeah it’s on the parents to decide what they’re going to let they’re kids do, but it’s not unreasonable for kids to be at the event. There are kids that can’t handle the Horror Makeup show. Everyone is different. My only point is it seems to me from my observation that it’s becoming more normal for kids to be at the event. It’s still overwhelmingly adults, but I’ve just noticed a shifting pattern is all. I’m not saying they should change the event for kids, I’m just saying if it becomes more and more common for kids to be at the event the event will naturally change. It already has somewhat.

honestly now that I'm old, i'd love an adults only 18+ paradise... but besides teens being "annoying" there is no real reason that 15 year olds shouldn't be able to go to Halloween Horror Nights with their friends. It's not a host bar, it's not a night club... it's a haunted theme park. As much as "drinking is part of the event" it's 200% secondary to the haunted houses and rides If you made it 18+ Universal would be losing TONS of money. and as long as they are behaved there really is no reason for them not to be there. I don't think because Universal allows a 16 year old admittance they are after the Sesame Street crowd. Again I would be happy with it being that way but I kind of find it unreasonable.

Well Mike A brought his 13 yo this year for his first HHN. The kid has been raised on a diet of Horrah so I doubt it traumatized him. Last year I was behind a mother and her 10 yo through several houses. Didn't phase him but what happens when they get to 16/17 and have a group of friends around them? I don't know and can only refer to how I was at that age. I would not be a "good" guest. I went to Europe at 17 and was an "Ugly American" (sorry Europe). So it just takes experience and time to let us understand how to behave. Alcohol drops many of the inhibitions but can't be blamed for all. It comes down to character that we learn from our parents and elders. I don't think Mike A's kid will slug or grope a scareactor but when out with a group who can tell.

Nature of the beast and bumping it up to 18+ will not address all those that grow up in the genre who can handle themselves. You take the good with the bad and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: s8film40
Now that I’m a grumpy old man (27) I selfishly wish that HHN were an 18+ or 21+ event. After all of the talk in here about drunken belligerent guests, the only problems I’ve run into this year come from the high school youngins - fist fighting, arrests, and line cutting. I get that it’s probably their first time away from mommy after dark, but man... kids these days :look:

I don't know on this. Sure, I have seen kids being kids and I may not like it, but who am I to judge their fun? But, I am talking more like the way folks see certain tour groups....when it comes to folks just being drunk, the issues I have seen have been folks older than you, I have not seen it often, but the times I saw it, it was older folks being stupid.

I mean it is what it is. There are more kids every year. Eventually if the demographic attending changes, the event will change with it. I wouldn’t say it’s “on the parents” many kids enjoy the event quite a bit there’s nothing wrong with that. Certainly it makes me mad when they come and complain about the adult nature of the event. HHN is no more an adult event though than F&W. Universal even gets real specific on this subject in the surveys at the park exit. It’s obviously something they’re interested in following.

Yes, it should be on the parents, and we are bad I imagine. But, I've never expected the event to change for us, nor do I expect other guest to walk on egg shells or anything.

I believe my daughter was 6 when we started visiting UOR as a family. We went to 22 and 23 without or daughter, but, when she was six and we went to the Make up show, she stayed after the show, talking to the host, asking cool questions....asking to feel some of the props...so those first two years, we talked to families we saw at the event who had kids around her age, many of them were local and the kids had been going each year, starting younger than our daughter would start.

We went to local haunts to she how she did there...and she has been going since 24, she has fun, knows it is make believe. I think she handles the event well.

Now, if we are talking about 'drunks' and their behavior, well, she has a few uncles. Anyway, for the 'general frat party feel', we never lasted long at food and wine due to feel of the event (we tried two times that happened to be on a weekend, we did enjoy the event on weekdays), but she was younger and that was long ago.

Anyway, not sure why I quoted the two post I did...as for the event getting younger, I thought they stepped the scares up a step this year...but, I swear I saw an RIP tour where I swear it was all girls between ages 12 and 16, but I have always seen 'kids' at HHN over the past six years.

Reactions: s8film40
I wonder if issues are up now because guests are pregaming the event harder thinking there would be no alcohol at the event.

To me the only want to really stop this is to enforce a "no admission to the event or house if you look visibly intoxicated".

We were hassled 3 times last night by Universal Security/OPD for standing there with a drink in our hands. No drunken behavior, loud talking etc. Literally just standing there with a drink. And repeatedly hassled. I have only used one day off my Frequent Fear Pass. We were planning on also attending Wednesday and Thurs, and next weekend.

I will be skipping the rest of the event because of Universal Security.

We were hassled 3 times last night by Universal Security/OPD for standing there with a drink in our hands. No drunken behavior, loud talking etc. Literally just standing there with a drink. And repeatedly hassled. I have only used one day off my Frequent Fear Pass. We were planning on also attending Wednesday and Thurs, and next weekend.

That sucks. You should notify Universal about your experience.

Reactions: SeventyOne

Like outside on the street?