HHN Drink Changes | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN Drink Changes

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I understand the risk in this job.
I understand theres a level of danger associated with being an actor.
But at the same time i hear too much about actors seriously injured or groped and the person escaping.
I dont think theres a real good solution to this problem, but maybe there could be better ways to catch the attackers or easier faster ways for actors to tell security. Maybe this is not possible. I dont know, maybe hare double the security at houses, have more people watching over attacks instead of making sure the line goes faster.

I'm pretty sure OSHA won't agree that you being injured in order to entertain people is acceptable.

We're not talking a freak accident or one off. We're taking nightly, as youve said.

It is not acceptable to expect people performing in HHN houses in a temporary job getting paid pennies to be subjected to such treatment under the purview of their employer.
Except it’s stated in all the auditioning material, throughout the audition, orientation, and rehearsal that, surprise, that’s exactly what every scareactor is willingly signing up for.

Terms of employment exists for a reason. Universal (every haunt) has a reasonable obligation to protect their performers. But there’s no surprises for anyone walking in that happens. It’s literally one of the biggest focuses of orientation. Universal literally have a guy who’s only job is to try and position scareactors in the safest way possible.

EDIT - Ops can be positioned at the request of the performers. I requested one in my Catacombs room because guests kept turning the wrong way. Ops is a deterrent. They’re also obtrusive and unpopular.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
Except it’s stated in all the auditioning material, throughout the audition, orientation, and rehearsal that, surprise, that’s exactly what every scareactor is willingly signing up for.

Terms of employment exists for a reason. Universal (every haunt) has a reasonable obligation to protect their performers. But there’s no surprises for anyone walking in that happens. It’s literally one of the biggest focuses of orientation. Universal literally have a guy who’s only job is to try and position scareactors in the safest way possible.

Maybe one guy for the largest event of its kind isn't enough?

Reactions: Lucky Planet
That’s where the whole “Boo and Skidoo”/“Scream and Scram” training comes from.

The whole point of scaring is to trigger a heightened emotional response. It’s supposed to cause fight or flight. The only way to not let any scareactors get assaulted is to either A) put everyone behind protection or distance and therefore ruin the simulated danger that causes the scare (everyone complaining about Fallen) or B ) stop scaring.

If I reported every time I got hit, my four a night average would likely jump to thirty a night. Hits, slaps, brushes, happen. Getting hit as a reaction is different than getting assaulted (or ambushed, another common attempt).

From what i can tell there are two kind of close scares, one where they put their weapon or their hands near your body or your face. Or get close to you but have their arms up to peotect them
Second where they put their whole body or their own face next to yours.

Some actors get inches from you. So close to the point that if i move i might fall down.
While those are rhe best scares, i wonder if those are the ones where actors get hurt.
Or if maybe all actors should have props or weapons to scare.

Some of the pigs in saw get extremely close to your face.
I have read in the facebook group that some guests have been hurt or punched by actors in saw or hive or scarecrow.
Some guy complained of getting punched in the face and some lady was pushed and fell and hurt herself in the clown zone

While i fully understand how fight or flight scares happens and how actors work for those scares,
I wonder if they should rework the scares to keep the actors safe.

Here is Universal's response.

Screenshot_2017-10-24-15-05-22.png

I think most comments I have made were based on what I saw in the zones. I think someone had asked about drunks and the issues they had like two years ago. From what I saw, there was more being done to keep the zones safe for all.

The two things that happened to @Disneyhead , I have no clue what to say about.

Now, for the houses, I have no clue. I have seen the houses seem to have a dark corner to have someone hidden to keep an eye out for issues in each room. I’ve always assumed the use of boo holes and such allowed the actors opportunities to get a feel for who to go for in the conga, really seems to be a lot of teamwork and actors seem to jump into two parts of the conga (some roles I guess).

Also, I have often seem employees as well as security go through the house in a conga...it just seems like their would be enough around to stop a good percentage of guest that did something.

Then again, I sometimes felt like security seemed to join the conga when they wanted to follow some cute girls or something.

I think most comments I have made were based on what I saw in the zones. I think someone had asked about drunks and the issues they had like two years ago. From what I saw, there was more being done to keep the zones safe for all.

The two things that happened to @Disneyhead , I have no clue what to say about.

Now, for the houses, I have no clue. I have seen the houses seem to have a dark corner to have someone hidden to keep an eye out for issues in each room. I’ve always assumed the use of boo holes and such allowed the actors opportunities to get a feel for who to go for in the conga, really seems to be a lot of teamwork and actors seem to jump into two parts of the conga (some roles I guess).

Also, I have often seem employees as well as security go through the house in a conga...it just seems like their would be enough around to stop a good percentage of guest that did something.

Then again, I sometimes felt like security seemed to join the conga when they wanted to follow some cute girls or something.
They've gotten better at adding spots for Ops in a way that's less obtrusive than years ago. But there's still a limit to how many TMs they can put in the house at any given time.

In regards to seeing other TMs going through houses, those are Coordinators, Techs, and Directors doing run-throughs. They will go through a house once a set to check performances/equipment. Security going through a house is unnecessary, since the Congo line pushes guests through. Security waits at the exit for scareactors to come to the exit and point people out.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Heres something weird i noticed sunday night,
I was sitting by simpsons at night in front of duff brewery ( i was in the tables in front of the restaurants), there were two security standing by the brewery

There was a dad with a 16 year old kid and a 8 year old kid satting in a table next to me. The dad had a beer and placed it in the table in front of the little kid, at one point the dad stood up to take a pic, leaving the beer in front of the kid alone. The kid also had his hands on the table near the beer. Then the teenage kid sat while the dad was taking pics. Here were two underage kids with a beer in their table and in plain view of security and the dad messing around away from them. Beer looked half full
I thought for sure security were gonna talk to them and the kid yet they never moved. The dad came,finished his beer and they went on their way.

The security werent that far and beer was visible to them. Kinda strange

I did witness a few weeks ago one of the tall 'aliens' from Invasion! was being harassed by a drunk teenage girl for a selfie. When he refused, she grabbed onto the costume and walked beside the actor taking one. The actor then broke character and ran to a TM and pointed her out. As far as i could see, she continued to walk up past harry potter and into the Bill & Ted line.

Does security have multiple gathering points around the park or when they are called do they have to come from a main office? I think next year, multiple themed 'huts' for security should be dotted around, as well as multiple exit or 'push' points to eject guests from the park instead of walking them out the front.

I did witness a few weeks ago one of the tall 'aliens' from Invasion! was being harassed by a drunk teenage girl for a selfie. When he refused, she grabbed onto the costume and walked beside the actor taking one. The actor then broke character and ran to a TM and pointed her out. As far as i could see, she continued to walk up past harry potter and into the Bill & Ted line.

Does security have multiple gathering points around the park or when they are called do they have to come from a main office? I think next year, multiple themed 'huts' for security should be dotted around, as well as multiple exit or 'push' points to eject guests from the park instead of walking them out the front.
Each zone will have security at both ends of it, and the larger zones (NYC) will have security scattered throughout it.

Reactions: Joel

That zone is very weird.
Every single time i pass by it i notice either: People using flash and not being stopped, or Aliens talking to coordinators for a long time ( doesnt seem to be about problems, just chatting.)