Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN Drink Changes

I do not think anyone could say for sure what UNI negotiates for their cost. Walmart can sell for less because they are big enough to dictate their own terms. Alcohol tends to have a sin tax built into the price as well.

Without giving too much away...I'm in a pretty good position to know (roughly) what places pay for their beer/liquor supply. There are also many laws that control pricing on alcohol, and what a supplier can offer one account over another.

I'm curious to see this change myself. It doesn't take that much to get me buzzed anyways. I'm staying on property at RPR and it's vacation, so I like to enjoy a few drinks but I'm responsible. I could just have a few drinks in my room and then switch to beer at HHN.

From the past three years that I've been attending HHN, I haven't really had any issues with drunk mobs or overly drunk people.

Without giving too much away...I'm in a pretty good position to know (roughly) what places pay for their beer/liquor supply. There are also many laws that control pricing on alcohol, and what a supplier can offer one account over another.

No worries, the explanation was not needed. I sort of prefer people to spit ball in public as opposed to given knowledge based 'near facts'.

To me, regardless of how it is presented, I think most people know the sales bring in money, and unshared money at that when you consider rights payments they make on merch sales, plus, it seems to be an easy sale and folks tend not to stop at one.

FL law (to me has been messed up for sometime. I think they finally changed things when craft beers took off. FL use to tax based on container size, so suppliers had like three sized cans to choice from, other beers were not allowed as there was something like a 3 part limit.

I do not drink much, but I was legal at 18 and recall stuff like Budweiser being weaker in FL than other places....but you always knew it was for FL sales due to the tax stamp or something being part of the can.

There's no threat of the event going dry for a whole season or more in my opinion. Instead it's the possible death of an annual tradition for locals who go many nights. Instead of hitting a normal bar you pay a large cover for many days to drink and have some of the best entertainment in Orlando.

Anyway, that being said I hope they find a better middle ground this weekend.

I agree with your points, but the line in Finns was mostly full even during a moderately attended opening weekend. Anything approaching a capacity crowd is going to require switchbacks through the entire restaurant. Realistically, at what point do people give up on getting a drink? So in the end de facto dry may be the intention.

Or maybe this was an overreaction like the last 2-night stretch they banned alcohol (or the time they banned water bottles after Mardi Gras) and we'll be back to something more like normal on Thursday.

Or maybe this was an overreaction like the last 2-night stretch they banned alcohol (or the time they banned water bottles after Mardi Gras) and we'll be back to something more like normal on Thursday.
I'm not confident there will be a massive "change" to what they have going. Too many BIG changes have already occurred that would be too difficult to revert back from. If there is any adjustment, it may be selling mixed drinks in the built bars apart from Finn's (I guess Moe's is the only other option?). They may add wine to the pop-ups.

From an accessibility perspective, alcohol is still readily available. The pop-ups have beers and the pre-mix signature. If a guest wants to wait in an hour-long line to get a Long Island because they don't want to drink anything else, that's their choice. Universal isn't obligated to put tequila on every corner.

As an avid drinker and outside observer, what they've done is create a pretty effective middle ground. It may not feel like it because it's such a change from what's normal, but alcohol is still widely available. The hard stuff is just being much more controlled. I'm far more intrigued by the why, because I think what they've done is fine.

It's just Marketing's fault it wasn't announced in a timely manner. :D

I'm not confident there will be a massive "change" to what they have going. Too many BIG changes have already occurred that would be too difficult to revert back from. If there is any adjustment, it may be selling mixed drinks in the built bars apart from Finn's (I guess Moe's is the only other option?). They may add wine to the pop-ups.

From an accessibility perspective, alcohol is still readily available. The pop-ups have beers and the pre-mix signature. If a guest wants to wait in an hour-long line to get a Long Island because they don't want to drink anything else, that's their choice. Universal isn't obligated to put tequila on every corner.

As an avid drinker and outside observer, what they've done is create a pretty effective middle ground. It may not feel like it because it's such a change from what's normal, but alcohol is still widely available. The hard stuff is just being much more controlled. I'm far more intrigued by the why, because I think what they've done is fine.

What I saw on twitter was Chez, Finns, and the bar contracted to Lombards has liquor. If they add it to Moe's/Duff then that'll be a better middle ground.

I think my only qualm so far is them taking the stools away from Duff Gardens...but that's about it. I usually pregame at Finn's and rarely go in there later in the night

I think my only qualm so far is them taking the stools away from Duff Gardens...but that's about it. I usually pregame at Finn's and rarely go in there later in the night

I read something about the queue-ing/removal of stools at Finn's, but didn't hear that about Duff. I guess I can understand this from a 'keep the crowds moving' standpoint during the event, but is it like that during S&S? "Stay" is part of the name, and it's really nice to be able to sit with a drink while you wait the hour or so for the event to get started.

So this started on twitter and figured I move it here. Just wondering what everybody favorite drink is to order at HHN or before. Where to get it. Tips and Best deals ect!

I'll start..
Make friends to your bartender and treat them well and they will to you. Can't remember her name maybe (Jan) from finnegans makes me a drink can't remember the name (anybody got ideas?) that is super strong and best price.

Welp happy Halloween have fun and stay safe!

I'm already dreaming of Dufftoberfest and Dragonscale (former because I only have it once a year at HHN, latter because I like it and strolling through an empty Knockturn Alley with one is also an HHN tradition). Jan is a top-notch bartender, and we like the Irish coffees she makes. Sometimes it's way too hot out for hot coffee, plus I prefer iced anyway. So I order one Irish coffee and a cup of ice water. They give you a solo cup full to the brim with ice and maybe a 1/2 cup of water. Finish the water (in seconds, it's really not that much) and pour the Irish over the ice.

I want to change my handle to "Avid Drinker" :clap:

I read something about the queue-ing/removal of stools at Finn's, but didn't hear that about Duff. I guess I can understand this from a 'keep the crowds moving' standpoint during the event, but is it like that during S&S? "Stay" is part of the name, and it's really nice to be able to sit with a drink while you wait the hour or so for the event to get started.

Apparently they were removed from Duff on Saturday night

I pre-game at Fat Tuesday: 190 Octane/Cat 5 mix with a grain boost. As soon as I get in I get a Blinky with one of the specialty drinks. Then refill Blinky with the other specialty drink. Then refill it with beer the rest of the night.

Yes, HHNs was definitely getting a "Drunkytown Only Worse" reputation, and was starting to attract the "Frat Bro" crowd just for the drinking. They are adding expensive craft beers and more wine options to move from "Frat Bros" to the "Park Snob/Disney Hipster" crowd.

It's weird, the themed food and beverages that cause the B/Vloggers to swoon is also amazingly popular with the "normals". But the attractions the community LOVES bore the snot out of the "normals".

Big changes to re add liqour to a pop up? I'm not saying all but somewhere on other side of the park where you don't have to walk all the way around to the other side

And does anybody know how the full bars are doing drinks? Will they refill blinky cups with the reg 8.99 refill price like at the pop ups. Or have to pay full price for every drink. I'm good with beer but sometimes switching to a rum and coke and just the convince of being able to do it at the pop up tent was nice

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently they were removed from Duff on Saturday night

Were present for Stay & Scream Friday. Were gone by middle of the night Saturday. No idea if they replace every day (like Finns) or if gone for the duration of the event.

Sort of related, most of the picnic tables by the spinning monster drink stand were gone Saturday night as well.

I have to disagree, after the opening weekend blog-pocalypse, I think the market for the pre-mixed drinks is pretty limited. I think middle ground would be adding a limited liquor selection (like in past years) to a couple key pop-ups. One by Jaws bathroom, for instance, maybe back by Garden of Allah (just to spread out locations).

At the same time, I could see guests "pre-gaming" harder at, say, Fat Tuesdays before entering the park. Deliberately trying to get drunk before they enter. I'm not sure that would be a positive change.

They were still pushing Jello shots via Twitter on like Tuesday. BTW, Jello shots so weak, I assume this is about optics more than actual results.

Last edited by a moderator:
It takes some folks YEARS to manage to muster out "Vodka + Soda" or "Whiskey + Ginger."

Speed will be a side benefit.

It takes some folks YEARS to manage to muster out "Vodka + Soda" or "Whiskey + Ginger."

Speed will be a side benefit.

My first thought before really sitting down and looking into this was "Efficiency". As someone who's worked in Orlando in the parks before, managers are OBSESSED with efficiency. Big, long lines for drinks clogging up streets probably drove someone crazy. Add that to the, let's be honest, massive amounts of overdrinking people were doing at the event and you've got a recipe for someone to make some changes.

I think we could see it even out eventually while they work on a final fix, but for now I see where they're coming from.

Big changes to re add liqour to a pop up? I'm not saying all but somewhere on other side of the park where you don't have to walk all the way around to the other side

I think he’s talking about having to rehire shot girls or those with the roll around bars.

I think my issue is that I seldom trust premixed drinks. I like rum drinks, but will always ask for something like Captain and diet as cheap rum makes me ill quickly, my wife drinks stuff like apple cider...so Finns tends to be our stop. If queuing makes it easier to get a drink, cool...but if the limited pour places makes it harder, I guess I just won't drink (strong water scares me as I spend way too much $$ there trying all the rum varieties).

I guess I can handle fat tues, and they have a lot of great drinks by the Mexican restaurant, but that would mean leaving and staying outside until I finished my drink...so not drinking will most likely win out on busy nights for me.

I pre-game at Fat Tuesday: 190 Octane/Cat 5 mix with a grain boost. As soon as I get in I get a Blinky with one of the specialty drinks. Then refill Blinky with the other specialty drink. Then refill it with beer the rest of the night.

Yes, HHNs was definitely getting a "Drunkytown Only Worse" reputation, and was starting to attract the "Frat Bro" crowd just for the drinking. They are adding expensive craft beers and more wine options to move from "Frat Bros" to the "Park Snob/Disney Hipster" crowd.

It's weird, the themed food and beverages that cause the B/Vloggers to swoon is also amazingly popular with the "normals". But the attractions the community LOVES bore the snot out of the "normals".

Yeah, if the frat boys are being cool at HHN now, well that's what I hated about weekends at F&W was it felt like a bad frat party (no offense intended). It just felt like every step was blocked by clicks 50 deep being drunk and stupid.

EPCOT has wide walkways and there was no where to walk anywhere.

UNI and benches, man, they put those metal ones around, I am thinking by MIB, first time I sat on one, I think I burned myself from the heat, but I slide right off the thing anyway as the bench was bent or something to lean towards the ground.

I think there are some recycled plastic ones in VB that bend so that two people on it can bend to move them closer together leaving no way for a third to sit there...strange stuff over the last few years.

^ I'm the same way. Would rather have them pour me a Russian Standard & Soda or Ginger Ale than having to drink their overly sweet premade alcoholic juice drinks.

It's a little disheartening to know that the execs think the people that know how to order their own drinks are the ones causing the problems. From past experiences, it's usually the idiots that make it a mission to get drunk twice a year (drinking the premixed crap because it's fruity and doesn't taste like liquor), that cant hold their alcohol and make a scene.

I think my issue is that I seldom trust premixed drinks. I like rum drinks, but will always ask for something like Captain and diet as cheap rum makes me ill quickly, my wife drinks stuff like apple cider...so Finns tends to be our stop.

Premixed separates quickly and goes stale/nasty quickly. Freshly shaken or stirred only for me.

From past experiences, it's usually the idiots that make it a mission to get drunk twice a year (drinking the premixed crap because it's fruity and doesn't taste like liquor), that cant hold their alcohol and make a scene.

What about those who get drunk twice a week.... oh.... ohhhhh.