Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN Hollywood General Discussion - 2017

What's it like on closing night? Is it crowded? I am thinking of coming to the last night of HHN. I had a wonderful time at HHN (although the RIP tour was a letdown). I really enjoyed the park by myself. If I do go, I plan to get the "after 2 PM with FOL" pass so I can go to Universal for part of the day and then go to HHN.

What's it like on closing night? Is it crowded? I am thinking of coming to the last night of HHN. I had a wonderful time at HHN (although the RIP tour was a letdown). I really enjoyed the park by myself. If I do go, I plan to get the "after 2 PM with FOL" pass so I can go to Universal for part of the day and then go to HHN.

My cousin went the final night of last year's event. She and her work friends bought regular admission and according to her, they were able to do everything without worrying or rushing to the houses or tram. They had such a great experience last year doing the final night that they're doing it again this year and in future years, so that may be a positive. Considering how last years dates were more crowded because of the popularity, compared to this year at least, it's probably safe to say you shouldn't worry too much about being too overcrowded this Saturday. Then again, they only did mazes, jabbawockeez, and the tram so I don't know if you have anything else you want to do that night.

Hopefully I will make a more thorough analysis soon, but I got to check out HHN Orlando last week. Soooooo much better than our event it’s pathetic. I don’t care if Murdy reads this. He better step it up next year or step down. The amount of love, detail, effort, and variety of scares they put into their event is outstanding compared to the “meh, who cares?” Mindset that Hollywood has put in this year with all of its black walls.

I am so sick of Murdy trying not to be like Orlando. I am sick of hyping up stuff that turns out to be abysmal (Shining elevator scene anyone?) I am so sick of Murdy reusing virtually everything in the storage warehouse when they have had their most successful year ever last year only to see reused props, empty rooms, and black walls. WHERE DID THE MONEY GO!?!?

I’ve been attending HHN Hollywood for nine years and this is the lowest they have gotten. Sick of it. This is Hollywood. We have all of the make up artists and the set designers out here. Why in the world do I have to travel to Florida to see a decent HHN? Why is it that Murdy can make some decent houses in the past but refuses to change or do something new? You have no problem hooking with James Franco, Jason Blum, Eli Roth, or Tobin Bell, but you can’t even make a decent maze even after you went to HHN Orlando, the 17th Door, and even grew up making haunts?

After seeing how amazing Orlando was, I want to see him adapt to what they do. Queen Mary and Knott’s and even indy haunts are running circles around HHNH this year. I even spoke to people who did Predition Haunt and Into the Void and they both told me they had one thing they would make sure not to do: No black walls. Speaking of which, Predition was awesome. So were Rotten Apple and Backwoods. When home haunts can make more professional haunts than a freaking theme park and MOVIE STUDIO can make, that’s a serious problem.

So Murdy, I know you’re reading this and not gonna hold anything back. Either get with it, empty out half of your storage shed, ditch the black walls and make solid, detailed houses with different scares like you used to, or just leave. It’s infuriating to see an event I love so much get so lazy like this.

Last edited:
Hopefully I will make a more thorough analysis soon, but I got to check out HHN Orlando last week. Soooooo much better than our event it’s pathetic. I don’t care if Murdy reads this. He better step it up next year or step down. The amount of love, detail, effort, and variety of scares they put into their event is outstanding compared to the “meh, who cares?” Mindset that Hollywood has put in this year with all of its black walls.

I am so sick of Murdy trying not to be like Orlando. I am sick of hyping up stuff that turns out to be abysmal (Shining elevator scene anyone?) I am so sick of Murdy reusing virtually everything in the storage warehouse when they have had their most successful year ever last year only to see reused props, empty rooms, and black walls. WHERE DID THE MONEY GO!?!?

I’ve been attending HHN Hollywood for nine years and this is the lowest they have gotten. Sick of it. This is Hollywood. We have all of the make up artists and the set designers out here. Why in the world do I have to travel to Florida to see a decent HHN? Why is it that Murdy can make some decent houses in the past but refuses to change or do something new? You have no problem hooking with James Franco, Jason Blum, Eli Roth, or Tobin Bell, but you can’t even make a decent maze even after you went to HHN Orlando, the 17th Door, and even grew up making haunts?

After seeing how amazing Orlando was, I want to see him adapt to what they do. Queen Mary and Knott’s and even indy haunts are running circles around HHNH this year. I even spoke to people who did Predition Haunt and Into the Void and they both told me they had one thing they would make sure not to do: No black walls. Speaking of which, Predition was awesome. So were Rotten Apple and Backwoods. When home haunts can make more professional haunts than a freaking theme park and MOVIE STUDIO can make, that’s a serious problem.

So Murdy, I know you’re reading this and not gonna hold anything back. Either get with it, empty out half of your storage shed, ditch the black walls and make solid, detailed houses with different scares like you used to, or just leave. It’s infuriating to see an event I love so much get so lazy like this.

I went to Orlando this year too (I compared them earlier in this post, I believe), and I didn't love it as much as everyone else seems to. Yes, I will concede that their set design is more impressive than ours, especially in terms of continuity. And yes, they did The Shining elevator scene correctly--I hate ours. I also like they have non-IPs to balance things out. No, they don't have black walls. All pluses where they clearly outdo us.

But on the flip side... I found their scareactors weaker, especially in the scare zones. Which was a real shame, because the concepts were good, but I felt like nothing really happened in any of them. And their scares just as predictable as ours, just in a different way (I mean, how many times can they overdo that double scare-window)? I also hate they don't have outer facades, although I can see why due to weather.

And I know there are many, many anti-black walls people on this thread... and I will agree they are overused... but at the same time, I often have to say the biggest scares often happen in those black walls. I don't mind them in moderation, if used wisely.

I'm going to say this ONE MORE TIME. John Murdy isn't the person to blame. Please educate yourself on job roles before you start a rant and stop pointing fingers because it's the only name you know. Thank you

I'm going to say this ONE MORE TIME. John Murdy isn't the person to blame. Please educate yourself on job roles before you start a rant and stop pointing fingers because it's the only name you know. Thank you

Um, that sort of comes with the territory of being THE FACE of Halloween Horror Nights. Would you like everyone to learn the names of his entire staff, Chris's entire staff, the financing staff, the logitics staff and the construction crews?