HHN Hollywood Speculation/News - 2016 | Page 112 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN Hollywood Speculation/News - 2016

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I bought a ticket already for November 4th (before the prices went up), in addition to going this Thursday.  I hope the Nov 4th, 5th weekend is still considered an after-party weekend like it was last year.  Perhaps with the extra perks of a new show and unlimited FOL from last year's after-party.

So FoL is going to stay for good at $209 for the rest of HHN. If you didn't score a pass earlier then you're out of luck!

Are you saying this as an assumption?  Or do you work or know someone from there who told you this?

I called on Monday to see what happened and the person I talked to said to keep checking as the prices could go down again.  It could have been something to tell people to calm them down, so who knows.  

Are you saying this as an assumption?  Or do you work or know someone from there who told you this?

I called on Monday to see what happened and the person I talked to said to keep checking as the prices could go down again.  It could have been something to tell people to calm them down, so who knows.  

Getting than info from inside. The demand is there and seeing as how it is still selling out days in advance shows no sign of slowing down, maybe if it stops selling as much they may revert the pricing but the plan is $209 for the rest of the event. I know that even the employee pricing for some of the nights went up($5-$10 at most) as well but maybe that was as a deterrent to keep them away these first few weekends after seeing how crowded it was getting.

Reactions: javierm27
Getting than info from inside. The demand is there and seeing as how it is still selling out days in advance shows no sign of slowing down, maybe if it stops selling as much they may revert the pricing but the plan is $209 for the rest of the event. I know that even the employee pricing for some of the nights went up($5-$10 at most) as well but maybe that was as a deterrent to keep them away these first few weekends after seeing how crowded it was getting.

Thanks, good to know!  I am curious to see if the demand will be there in November, it very may well be, so it will be interesting to watch.  I won't wait until more than two weeks out to get my FOL for that last day in November.  So I hope by then, there will be some clarity. 

Just came back from a Thursday night outing.  A few changes:

There are now two pathways through Terror Tram once you pass the Pyscho House.  It seemed to appear if you did the Psycho photo op, you'd be lead down a different pathway through the WoW set.  Even at the end of WoW set, there were two (short) pathways to return to the tram.  I assume this was done in an effort to alleviate the bottlenecks.  Since I went though the TT very early in the evening, I couldn't say if it made any difference or not, as the crowd were light already.  I'd be curious to hear from others if they noticed any improvement as the night wore on.

Also, they changed the pathway for the Purge a bit.  It begins the same, but once through the Plaza area, you are now diverted to French St. first, then enter the Courtyard as a final scene.  IMO, it worked much better this way, although the walk to the beginning of French St. from the Plaza was a pretty noticeable dry zone with no scares or theming.

This does make the Purge area exit essentially directly in front of WD, which I'm sure is no coincidence.  The WD line seemed to be up, and I'm sure that's a considerable reason why.

I can also say that Thursday night crowds are way, way more manageable, especially if using early entry, which is now basically starting at 5:15.  We headed to the backlot (which let people in at 5, even though they said mazes back there weren't going to open until 5:45), and when we arrived at the backlot at 5:30, we found all the mazes were already open ahead of schedule, and all with absolutely no lines at all.  In fact, we did AHS three times and FvJ twice, Krampus once, and could have easily done more.  Small side note:  Purge scare zones in the tunnel were not staffed by scareactors at all when we left the area at about 6:30 (to do TCM), nor did you go through the small Purge scare zone in the backlot.  So if that's a priority, you could miss it.  We left HHN at 8pm having done all the mazes except Halloween (which we could have done), WD, and Jabbawokeez.  Even now, as I write this at home at 9pm, based on the mobile wait times, the longest line in the park is AHS at 55 minutes.

Reactions: William and Ryan
^  Went last night as well, crowd was certainly lower.  Stayed until 1 AM.  AHS did get up to a 90 minute wait at one point (Exorcist got to 75 min), but that was the peak.  Made for an easygoing night.  The dual pathways on TT are interesting, rode it twice and the first time was sent to the two left-hand paths, the second both right-hand paths.  Left is certainly the way to go in order to enjoy this year's TT at it's best.  That path has all the show scenes and the maze-ish stuff.  The right side is bland and a straightaway with not much to see, a weaker experience.  I would hope if the do double paths next year they duplicate the scenes and maze route so everyone sees the same thing (or have alternate scenes), the point being both sides need the same quality (I imagine it was too late to add anything too complicated) to avoid disappointment.  Purge gauntlet with a cool addition to the upper lot, but I was surprised to see so few people going through it.  On my second walkthrough, I was completely by myself until right near the end.  Fun for me though. :) Going back on 11/4. 

Reactions: Rideguy70
Weird question...

Going tonight...know it's going to be busy.  We plan on using early entry and have FOL.  Now, the guest I'm going with really wanted Potter.  Is Potter available to us as part of early entry or are we sent directly to the lower lot?  Would like to hit FJ before heading down if it's possible.

Weird question...

Going tonight...know it's going to be busy.  We plan on using early entry and have FOL.  Now, the guest I'm going with really wanted Potter.  Is Potter available to us as part of early entry or are we sent directly to the lower lot?  Would like to hit FJ before heading down if it's possible.

When you enter the park, you're given a wristband, and from there you have a few options. You can check out the early entry mazes (Exorcist at 5:15, Halloween at 5:30, backlot mazes at 5:45, Walking Dead at 6:30, and Terror Tram at 6:45), you could watch the early entry showing of Jabbawockeez (6:15), or you could stay on the Upper Lot towards the front of the park and wait for the Opening Scareamony. We had FOL on opening weekend (9/17) and we wanted to watch the Opening Scareamony. They let us into the park at around 5:30 to start queuing up for everything (early entry now begins at 5 instead of 6). I asked a team member on the Upper Lot where we should go to line up for the Opening Scareamony, and he told us that the holding pen isn't set up yet and then he sent us to Potter and told us to come back at 6. They closed Wizarding World at 5:30 that day; however, they were admitted HHN guests with the wristband until 6. Now that early entry is at 5, it could be different, but hopefully it'll work out. We were able to hit FJ and grab butterbeer before going into the holding pen for Opening Scareamony. If Potter is open for the short window again, just keep in mind that the early entry mazes might have a bit of a wait by the time you get down there (maybe 20 minutes or so). If you're just planning on using FOL and not doing mazes twice, though, you'll definitely be fine. 

When you enter the park, you're given a wristband, and from there you have a few options. You can check out the early entry mazes (Exorcist at 5:15, Halloween at 5:30, backlot mazes at 5:45, Walking Dead at 6:30, and Terror Tram at 6:45), you could watch the early entry showing of Jabbawockeez (6:15), or you could stay on the Upper Lot towards the front of the park and wait for the Opening Scareamony. We had FOL on opening weekend (9/17) and we wanted to watch the Opening Scareamony. They let us into the park at around 5:30 to start queuing up for everything (early entry now begins at 5 instead of 6). I asked a team member on the Upper Lot where we should go to line up for the Opening Scareamony, and he told us that the holding pen isn't set up yet and then he sent us to Potter and told us to come back at 6. They closed Wizarding World at 5:30 that day; however, they were admitted HHN guests with the wristband until 6. Now that early entry is at 5, it could be different, but hopefully it'll work out. We were able to hit FJ and grab butterbeer before going into the holding pen for Opening Scareamony. If Potter is open for the short window again, just keep in mind that the early entry mazes might have a bit of a wait by the time you get down there (maybe 20 minutes or so). If you're just planning on using FOL and not doing mazes twice, though, you'll definitely be fine. 

Excellent...thanks for the tips.  Yeah I want to hit lower lot but he really wants to see FJ.  So depending on how it goes we'll just pla it by ear.

THANKS!

Reactions: hhnfan1997
Murdy's technique of whispering the twitter password to the delivery man at Krampus worked wonders.  I also got to actually work the password into a conversation (like I did for FDTD two years ago when the password was a lady's name and I asked if she was dancing tonight, lol).  I remember someone in a comment above noting they always try that.  Anyway, the password was "clown" and I whispered to the guy if this was the house that had the clown in it (obviously not, that would be terror tram or AHS) and he improvised, that he didn't know who lived in the house, he only delivers packages, but he did happen to have a package for me.  The two guys in line behind me came up and asked "can I get one too" and the delivery guy was all "sorry, I don't seem to have a package for you" and the guys were annoyed and argued a bit as to why they can't get one.  I didn't hear the end of the conversation as I headed into the house.

Finally went to HHN last night. Did early entry and managed to hit up Krampus, FVJ, and Halloween twice. Early entry was great except that the day light kinda ruined the effects for some of the houses. It was nice though to knock out 2/3s of the content by seven. Lines got pretty bad around eight since it was sold out night,but early entry helped to get everything done. Now here is my overall synopsis of the mazes (Keep in mind some spoilers are ahead if you're still worried about them). 

American Horror Story: Don't care about the show, but I understand how the show works. Sets were pretty cool and I liked the transitions with the video screen archways. The boo holes seemed to have the same problem with FDTD in 2014 in that you could see where the actors would pop out from a distance as soon as you entered the room. I didn't really get any great scares in here. Maybe next time I'll get a better run-through, but for now, it's the weakest house of the event for me. Not TiTE bad, but could be better. Again, sets were good and had some small jumps at least. Overall: C

Krampus: I like how a lot of the rooms gave you the impression that you were inside of a house. There were some pretty good scares in here for me. Some scares you could easily see from the other end of the room which was annoying, but I at least liked some of the more unique scares in there like the snowman and the giant doll trying to scare you. Although not as bad as AHS, I didn't like that some of the scares you could see when entering the scene. Overall: B

Freddy Vs. Jason: Too bad this didn't make it into 747, but I don't think it would have made a difference anyway. I think this house had the best set design in any of the houses and the best scares. There were some really cool FX in there like the disappearing wall that turned into the boiler room. The only thing I really didn't like about the house was how the "twisting" lighting effect that was used in TiTE and Krampus was used twice in here. I get that it's a good transition tool, but something better cold have been done. Well, aside from that, this was the best house of the event for me. Great scares, well-done sets, and cool effects. Oh, and I liked this better than Orlando's rendition last year. I just wished that they could've included the underwater scene from Orlando's. That was great. Overall: A

The Exorcist: I knew that there was absolutely no way that this maze would meet the hype after all of the talk of this being Murdy's possible magnum opus. I mean, he's been wanting to do this for over a decade so there's no way it will fail, right? EP night reviews set my expectations low, but I actually liked this a lot more than I thought I would. I could see why people would hate this since more than half the maze is all black walls. Although I usually hate the black walls, I'm willing go easy on that aspect since the whole point of it was to "feel demon possessed" and take inspiration from the banned trailer. The room where everything was moving everywhere had some neat effects. I liked it more than I thought I would. Pretty good. Overall: B

Halloween: Hell Comes to Hattonfield: This is a close second for my favorite house. Got some great scares from Michael and the sets were great. I really felt like I was walking through the neighborhood and through the hospital. The ending was amazing. Don't have much else to say except that it was great. Overall: A

Eli Roth Presents: Terror Tram: Every. Single. Year. The Terror Tram SUCKS. It sucked less last year, but before it was always bloody terrible. It felt like they weren't even trying. This year I thought it was actually….okay. I got one really good scare, but I feel like I would have liked it more if I had a more pleasant experience, which I'll get to soon. They actually changed things up, which I'm really happy to see. The containers helped to deliver more scares and allowed for a few props to make things feel different. Now for the rant: The alternate paths are helpful to disperse the crowds when it gets packed, but when I went, it was light. Would not have made much difference where you would go. What really pissed me off is that they FORCED me to take the lame extra path they set up with nothing there. I wanted to go inside the clown mouth, but the attendant wouldn't allow me to go in there even if there was only SIX PEOPLE GOING THROUGH AND I WAS BY MYSELF. C'mon. If there's no one around, you SHOULD be allowed to pick where you can go. That's so stupid. I appreciate how they changed this up, but that stupid experience ruined it for me. Overall: C

The Walking Dead: Didn't bother. Line was too long. Just the same with more walkers anyway.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Blood Brothers: After the abysmal TCM: Saw is the Law in '12, I didn't have very high expectations. This was the underdog for me. The guy at the beginning was AWESOME. He really delivered it for his acting. The whole house was very tight-spaced and in-your-face, allowing for great scares. Sets were not bad either. I doubt this was as good as Back in Business (Which I never saw) but was way better than '12. Very good. Overall: B

The Purge: Gauntlet of Fear: This was such a nice bonus for me when lines got too long. Scareactors were great and was really cool. The only thing is….what the heck is up with the Mummy props in there? Overall: B

Jabawockeez: I'll see it on my return visit next week.

Overall: I think this is my favorite event content wise. While there were a couple of things that were just good at best (TT and AHS), everything else was great. Very solid year. Oh, and I loved the mac and cheese bacon grilled cheese sandwich. Look forward to trying the tater tot nachos and the smores sandwich. I look forward to my future returns. 

Reactions: Rideguy70
So I'm writing this post a day late because I was at Disney all day today, but now that I've gone 3 nights and finally have seen all the houses, I'll give my standings as they are now, I plan on writing a full review after the event is over, which you totally should expect to be written shortly after the event is over, it's not like I haven't even written my 2015 review yet. Whatever here are my rankings. 

6. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Blood Brothers 

5. Halloween: Hell comes to Haddenfield

4. Krampus

3. Freddy vs Jason

2. American Horror Story

1. The Exorcist

Also I give them an A+ for effort on terror tram, execution is another thing.

p.s. While unfortunately I was 2 people off from being the first guests into Krampus for the night, I take full pride in being the first to get the postcard for the night.