House of Horrors Replacement | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

House of Horrors Replacement

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The thing with our Mummy ride and USS' Mummy ride is that there are no references to the movie franchise, beyond the Mummy being named Ihmotep. In Florida, you've got their cheesy "we're making a movie" aspect and the whole Brendan Frasier scene. Ours can already be seen as rather "generic" (in a good way). You don't have to know the franchise to enjoy the ride. It's simple. Egypt. Mummies. Treasure. Scary. Coaster. Only thing I'd like to see don't to the ride (beyond tearing it out lol) is major updates to the effects.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want Universal to shut the ride down and extend the building upward and to the sides.

Doing an upgrade of the effects would be nice, but the ride would still be too short. I rather spend money now so mummy can last long-term.

Reactions: Freak
^I heard some rumors about the Mummy being redone by expanding the building and flip the entrance to tie-in with Monsters land. I personally dont see it happening until the monsters E-ticket opens. We'll see.

I do know they'll eventually have to do something about Mummy and JP. Theyre going to look bad in the wake of Potter and the upper lot transformation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, not everyone. Transformers is still a relatively new attraction that's still wow-ing guests to this day, and Jurassic Park is the only water ride to relieve overheated guests. I don't really think closing Mummy just as Potter opens is the wisest decision.

The "rumor" of expanding the building upward, etc, originated on this site, and has been our "wishes" beyond anything. I'd love to see it happen, but I personally don't see Universal doing that. That's why I suggested they add dazzling effects to the Mummy and improve the current ride. Even if it's short, the ride could be an overload of the senses in an amazing way if they UPDATE the effects and add more. Also, it's the only proper coaster in the park. I don't see them getting rid of it anytime soon, but I could see them closing it for a few months to add amazing special effects and projection mapping, etc. If Disney can do that for a temporary Halloween overlay for Space Mountain, Universal can do that for their aging Mummy ride.

What's this about a "monsters land"....?

Hahahahaha! Oh my god, that's hilarious! Brover, I knew immediately what you were talking about!

http://www.yesterland.com/hollywooddine.html

I'm not one to play the whole Disney vs Universal game, but this is just priceless. DCA's original version was great but it was a case of there being an overload of dining establishments and no ride when DCA opened.

Can't wait to see what Universal does with it. Crossing my fingers it won't JUST be upscale dining, but feature more than that. I won't complain either way though.

Wow. They also picked up on Schwab's Pharmacy. That foodcourt nearly looked like Fast Food Boulevard.

I kinda like the new name, I hope this proves to be a well-rounded experience.

I'm thankful I got to experience House of Horrors before it closed. I wasn't able to make it back to the park again before it closed unfortunately... but at least I went through it 5-6 times the day I went to the park. I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that it provided some great scares. I don't scare easily, but damn, the cast was bringing their A-game that day :lol: . I love the classic monsters, so this was such a great attraction (which I feel a lot of people took for granted). I'm still bummed they got rid of this. Obviously, I would've loved to get an updated version of Orlando's "Classic Monster Café" as the replacement, but oh well.

As for Hollywood & Dine..... yay more dining/retail in a park that already has more dining/retail than it does rides/attractions. So glad everyone can pay money to go to a themed shopping district haha. All snark aside, I'm curious to see what they do with this new restaurant. My brain automatically translates it to "Hollywood & Vine" from Disney Hollywood Studios at WDW, but I know it won't be anything like that. A lot of you have suggested a combination of the NBCUniveral Experience & the restaurant.... Honestly, when the name "Hollywood & Dine" was discovered, that is pretty much the vibe I got. Universal's own version of "Planet Hollywood" (not sure if we have any out here, haven't looked into it... Orlando's might be one of the only ones left in existence).

One can hope that Hollywood & Dine will actually be table-service, unlike everything else inside the park. I'd definitely like to see it filled with 100+ years of Universal movies, but I could see them just making it generically upscale themed to the new art-deco vibe. I don't know if anyone has tried digging up building permits (yea people in FL do that haha), I'm curious to know if this new restaurant will be 2 levels like its predecessors were. Then there is the food options to think about..

I don't know if anyone has tried digging up building permits (yea people in FL do that haha), I'm curious to know if this new restaurant will be 2 levels like its predecessors were.
They have their own Building Permit office within Universal City so it's hard for the public to access those. I'd be surprised if it wasn't a multistory building since the USS will also expand into that area. (got to make seating space somehow) 

This Hollywood & Dine sounds soooooooo boring! Why "borrow" one of Disney's lesser ideas when there is a GREAT one begging to be "borrowed", namely the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater at DHS? But show clips from the Universal Monsters films! I've mentioned all this in a separate thread - http://www.ushforums.com/index.php?/topic/702-why-isnt-ush-creating-a-potter-alternative/- but it NEEDS to happen! They're threatening on putting one in DCA for "Phase Two" of Cars Land (apparently changing Luigi's is Phase One-and-a-Half), so beat them to the punch!

Heres the thing, We don't exactly know what Hollywood & Dine has in store for us. I doubt anything Horror related in a huge way, and It seems this will connect Universal Plaza more than having a mixed theme. I see this being multiple themed rooms inside but outside its art-deco with it being a full-service. Ontop of that, this will add more capacity (Probably), its rumored thanks to IU of a Entertainment option (Which I wouldn't be surprised if its moving the NBCUniversal Experience to this area), Expand the current Universal Store and Add more dining for the park which means, more people out of the streets. Sure, i'd love a full on Horror or Sci-fi related feature added to USH, but for now we have to wait.

Universal's current goal is cohesiveness. It's evident that they want the Art Deco theme spread across the generic areas of the Upper Lot, the rumored Hollywood & Dine site being one of them.