Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

How long will The Simpsons Ride last?

How long will the Simpsons Ride last?

• Total voters
See BTTF Never made me sick. Simpsons does. It's the only ride I skip at Studios.

Same. I never got sick on BTTF. Simpsons I can't even ride anymore as the last 2 times I got deathly sick.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but we all are pretty old now. Maybe aging has something to do with this? It wasn't a huge gap in construction (*cough* Frozen), but maybe it was for you?

Personally, i'm at the point where i have to know the good pooping restrooms in the park.* Getting old isn't so bad, but it does have disadvantages.

*i'll start a thread if there is interest. i know them all!

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but we all are pretty old now. Maybe aging has something to do with this? It wasn't a huge gap in construction (*cough* Frozen), but maybe it was for you?

Personally, i'm at the point where i have to know the good pooping restrooms in the park.* Getting old isn't so bad, but it does have disadvantages.

You do have a point. Maybe the ride system got old too.:)

Nope. I’ve riden only Simpson’s and not BTTF (I’m young) and Simpson’s makes me nauseous. I can do everything else but this. The ride vehicles just vibrate way too much and jerk violently, not too mention that the projections are a bit faded and the actual theater always tends to be hot.

I love the BTTF ip but I only did the ride twice. Both time I got sick. Never went on it again (even after it changed into Simpsons). I hope they gut the place and put a darkride with some coaster elements in the building. Not sure it'll fit but the building is high enough and when it's used well it could be great.
Then again, if Simpsons is sold to Disney I could see the whole ip leave the park. I thought I read somewhere that the producers of the show think about wrapping the show up in a few year anyway (after season 30).

Woah...16k at 60+fps must look life-like...

I wouldn't mind them updating the "cars" for the Simpson's ride...With new technology around I'd love to see them refurb it...It's very old haha
I believe its something around 32k to get up to the quality of imax film, although the colors in digital make up for the shortcomings a bunch.

The problem with IMAX film is that it's very difficult to maintain the film itself. Digital is the only way to create a consistent, clean image despite the lesser resolution. You'll far more notice dirt, specks and tears in the film than definition quality.

I checked Christie’s website quickly and it seems as though they banter around the word 8K in their names but the actual resolution is far lower. Perhaps the standard for projectors is lower than that which is required for televisions to call it 8K.

The problem with IMAX film is that it's very difficult to maintain the film itself. Digital is the only way to create a consistent, clean image despite the lesser resolution. You'll far more notice dirt, specks and tears in the film than definition quality.
A properly run IMAX 70 should not have any dirt of scratches on it. The system was designed specifically to avoid those issues. The film doesnt run through a gate like normal film. It is actually stamped (for lack of a better word) when projected (The film is literally stopped for 1/24th of a second and the frame is wedged between two plates that close on it). This is designed to prevent tear and scratches, to keep the frame steady and clean.

With Disney acquiring many 21st Century Fox assets, apparently including the Simpsons, what do we think this means for the future of the Simpsons Ride and Springfield at Universal? I'd really hate to see Springfield go. I probably enjoy the area more than the ride itself, honestly, and you know Disney isn't going to build a Springfield area in their parks. I don't want to lose Duff Gardens! Thoughts?

Last edited:
With Disney acquiring many 21st Century Fox assets, apparently including the Simpsons, what do we think this means for the future of the Simpsons Ride and Springfield at Universal? I'd really hate to see Springfield go, honestly. I enjoy the area more than the ride itself, honestly and you know Disney isn't going to build a Springfield area in their parks. Thoughts?

Nothing will change for a while, probably until the mid-late 2020's at most.

Fair, I don't expect immediate changes. But you don't want to be paying and/or advertising for a property of your main competitor for very long. I'd probably say mid, rather than late 2020s but we'll see.

And while a fair point, perhaps it would be best to keep in mind how the deal originally was back before TSR opened, and when it was most likely modified in 2011-2012 and then in 2013-2014 for the respected Orlando and Hollywood Springfield's, and that I would assume some change has been made that has extended the timeframe of Springfield's stay to the late 2020's.

Honestly? I would look at the Marvel contract, and come up with some rational thoughts. From what it seems like, Universal has the ability to add to MSHI, as long as they get the consent and approval from Marvel Entertainment (not sure about Disney).

And while a fair point, perhaps it would be best to keep in mind how the deal originally was back before TSR opened, and when it was most likely modified in 2011-2012 and then in 2013-2014 for the respected Orlando and Hollywood Springfield's, and that I would assume some change has been made that has extended the timeframe of Springfield's stay to the late 2020's.

Honestly? I would look at the Marvel contract, and come up with some rational thoughts. From what it seems like, Universal has the ability to add to MSHI, as long as they get the consent and approval from Marvel Entertainment (not sure about Disney).
Fair, I honestly don't know anything about the contract between Universal and Fox for the Simpsons rights. That's why I was asking here. I hope it stays for a while, but figured it was worth discussing. I appreciate all insight anyone can give.

Fair, I honestly don't know anything about the contract between Universal and Fox for the Simpsons rights. That's why I was asking here. I hope it stays for a while, but figured it was worth discussing. I appreciate all insight anyone can give.

I think fans tend to look at things in a Disney vs Universal lense fair more often than the companies themselves do. Universal having the Simpsons as a brand in the park pays no mind to the actual rights holder. If they are making sufficiently more money than the contract costs, then the contract is a success. Marvel being the perfect example here.

Now, the question of what happens when the contract expires is fair more relevant impact wise. But as everyone said above we have plenty of other stuff going on before then. You'll have this area sandwiched between Nintendo and whatever comes of the MIB and Fear Factor replacements.

Last edited:
I think fans tend to look at things in a Disney vs Universal lense fair more often than the companies themselves do. Universal having the Simpsons as a brand in the park pays no mind to the actual rights holder. If they are making sufficiently more money than the contract costs, then the contract is a success. Marvel being the perfect example here.

Now, the question of what happens when the contract expires is fair more relevant impact wise. But as everyone said above we have plenty of other stuff going on before then. You'll have this area sandwiched between Nintendo and whatever comes up the MIB and Fear Factor replacements.
I agree...Also, if the contract runs into around 2028 or so, Simpsons may be as relevant as Dudley Do Right by then, and Universal might be ready to move on. It's really way too earl in the ballgame to worry about this one way or the other. Lot's of factors change in a decade of time.....Personally I'm not concerned about this even one tiny bit at this point in time.