Hurricane Irma | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

Hurricane Irma

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
For the past 24 hours, it has felt like we were standing in the queue for a roller coaster that might actually kill us. Now with the outer bands hitting, we're on the lift hill.

Click, click, click, click.....closer to the top of the hill.

Best hold on tight for this one though.

Supposed to fly in to Orlando next Sunday and stay at Cabana Bay. At this point we're not sure if we should keep the trip or cancel. I think my biggest trip related worry is about power outages at the airport, Universal and Disney. I've been hearing a lot of several week long outages.

Hope everyone stays safe.
I'd keep it. WDW has a better chance of being operational than UOR- but I'd expect both to be ok. When can you cancel? You could potentially know in two days if power even goes out at those resorts.

That said- Can I use this moment as a massive PSA? If anyone is only rocking the Disney credit card, or a person who has a strict "no credit card" policy- make sure you have a credit card that offers A) Trip insurance, and just as important- B) Trip Delay Insurance. Most cards that offer those come with a plethora of other travel insurances in addition (lost luggage, etc).
I believe they all have a fee- most around $95- but it is well worth it-here is a list: https://thepointsguy.com/2016/10/cards-with-trip-delay-reimbursement/

My Chase Sapphire Reserve card is covering my family of four for up to $2k. The claim was easy to make and they've been easy to work with thus far. Because of my cancelled night at the Royal Pacific over at Universal, I'll actually end up making a few hundred bucks to be delayed. I'd obviously rather be home- but to be paying this hotel and food out of pocket would have been salt in the wound. For Perspective, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the locals here who are in my thoughts- but to others who find themselves in a situation similar- your expenses can be avoided with the right card.

This one has been driving me nuts because I see it keep getting retweeted.

Echo lake was drained for a schedule rehab. Nothing to do with the hurricane.

Also, Disney resorts opened their dining for breakfast this morning.

I recall them saying on the local Orlando news way back that the order for power restoration was hospitals, nursing homes and finally, the big resorts. The preference being all three at once. Just shows how important an industry tourism is to Florida.

Reactions: Suprachica79
There are so many utility and tree trimming trucks staged and ready for this that should we lose power it can probably be restored fairly quickly. The local news is showing trucks staged not only at EPCOT but also at the Orange County Convention Center and Daytona Speedway.

Reactions: Suprachica79