1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Hurricane Irma

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Joe, Sep 5, 2017.

1. MarkoMark

MarkoMark Newcomer

Any news from Kennedy? Heading to Orlando tomorrow (assuming our flight doesn't cancel again) and were hoping to spend Friday there. Going to Iniversal for the first time! Horrible timing but what can you do?

2. Yabbadabba Doh

Yabbadabba Doh Rookie

My son was at Studios today, he works at MK tonight. Didn't see any major visible damage to anything while he was there.

Porkchop likes this.
  3. s8film40

s8film40 Veteran Member

They were supposed to open Wednesday, but aren't because they don't have water.

4. awhen

awhen Member

43 hours and counting without power here in Northern Brevard. If you have a spooky pitch black street at night, go outside (if it's a safe spooky pitch black street) and take a look at the stars before the moon gets too high. Last night was very clear, never saw so many stars in a Florida sky.

Porkchop, JoeCamel and AliciaStella like this.
  5. AliciaStella

AliciaStella Premium Member

Skywitness 9 copter has been filming neighborhood near mine for awhile. They got flooded. We were lucky.

IMG_2664.JPG

IMG_2663.JPG

Teebin likes this.
  6. Teebin

Teebin Legendary Member

It can be a shocker how the loss of large trees can screw up ones sense of place and direction. They embed in our psyche.

Frank Drackman, AliciaStella and Andy like this.
  7. AliciaStella

AliciaStella Premium Member

Speaking of things not looking right without a tree:

8. GadgetGuru

GadgetGuru Veteran Member

Now that the hurricane is over, I've got to ask: do all of the people who stayed in the hotels get some form of refund? If I had planned my once-in-a-lifetime vacation and spent it all inside of my hotel room, I'd be frustrated to say the least.

9. Teebin

Teebin Legendary Member

10. s8film40

s8film40 Veteran Member

It's likely a case by case basis, in other words those who complain enough will get something back. There are also a good number of people who booked rooms specifically because of the hurricane.

GadgetGuru likes this.
  11. GadgetGuru

GadgetGuru Veteran Member

That's a great point. I forget at times that a lot of people from Tampa + Miami evacuated to Orlando.

s8film40 likes this.
  12. scott_walker

scott_walker Premium Member

Who do you blame for this? It's not the hotels fault and I'm not sure how insurance would work with acts of god. Fundamentally I think the blame lies with the people who booked the trip. I think everybody should be made aware that this is hurricane season. You also wonder how this could have an effect on the decline in Orlando but that conversation should be moved to the correct thread.

Hopefully they see this as a chance to fix the horrible nets.

IAmFloridaBorn likes this.
  13. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

Pretty much. Outside of the people who booked for safety, the tourists/vacationers had options to get out. Unless it's something like couldn't get a flight out, they are stuck.

We're going to keep our Hurricane article around and refresh it every hurricane season. Hopefully we don't have to update it next year with potential impact updates.

14. fryoj

fryoj Veteran Member

I'd say people who booked hotel rooms and tickets separately are pretty much stuck. Those who bought packages would have a decent argument for a partial refund.

15. Nick C.

Nick C. Staff Member Moderator

Once a State of Emergency is declared and a named Hurricane is projected to impact the area, Hotels are pretty much forced to give refunds if someone asks for one.

16. Frank Drackman

Frank Drackman Premium Member

Yes, that was wonderful for us after Wilma save for the generates that ruined the rare seeming natural sounds...but I will never forget some 12 years ago and the sound of trees snapping in half...

Um, I guess the thing kept changing its mind on its path, but shouldn't those nets come down as prep? Or is that too much work?

17. scott_walker

scott_walker Premium Member

Do the hotels get the money back for that? I'm not trying to throw blame at anybody for booking a holiday and having it ruined.

18. fryoj

fryoj Veteran Member

Are you talking about people who stayed there or people who canceled? We were talking about people who stayed at the hotel through the hurricane.Cause I wouldn't think there would be any legal basis to have to refund money to people who used their services.

19. Nick C.

Nick C. Staff Member Moderator

Oh ok, I was talking about prior to check-in.

Once you've checked in, I'm sure UOR and WDW will compensate to a certain degree, especially because the parks were closed for 3 days.

20. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

We left Portofino three days early on our reservation due to Matthew coming. Portofino did not charge us for any of the days remaining on our reservation. I would imagine that's standard practice for the Universal on site hotels.... If someone stays, with a hurricane arriving, that's kind of on them. On park tickets, I would guess they would reimburse since the parks closed.