Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hurricane Irma

Still about 24 hours away from starting to nail down the impact Irma will have on Central Florida, but just an observation... the run-to-run computer models have mostly been shifting the storm's track (near/over Florida) eastward.

The European model is still turning it more westward and having the eye go up the middle of the state and into Georgia. That's the scary scenario. The GFS is turning it more eastward and may not even have the eye make landfall. While that would be better, none of these scenarios are good.

If nothing else, we're gonna get some killer volcano bay pictures. ;)

I made the decision to go ahead and fly to Orlando tomorrow with the intention of flying back to Dallas Sunday.
#yolo

Travel insurance on my credit card wouldn't authorize a claim yet since it's still too early.

FWIW, the 1800 GFS has Irma almost missing Florida completely and only the outer bands hitting. However it does then strengthen and slam the Carolinas.

I am leading a group of youth from North Florida to Rock the Universe. My concern is mostly for the return trip that will have us directly on the evacuation route during a massive evacuation effort on Sunday. It seems like the responsible thing for the organizers to do is to allow people the option of cancelling without a penalty. It seems very irresponsible to be encouraging people to travel to Orlando when the State will be encouraging evacuation.

Working in hospitality in New Orleans, we usually relax the cancellation policy before outright cancelling the event. I imagine that everyone is currently doing that across all of Florida.

This storm has me incredibly anxious. We dodged a bullet with Harvey (even moderate rainfall would've done us in for a few days) and if this doesn't turn, this is going to his us midweek next week. I can weather a storm, I've done it before, but I really, really, really need this vacation.

As of now, there is very high confidence in the forecast up until about 2pm on Friday. At that point, Irma should be between the Eastern part of Cuba and the Bahamas. We should get a much better understanding of where it's going to go after that point/time tomorrow night.

In any event, Barbuda is about to get absolutely hammered.

Yeah I believe Charlie was the worst at least since the theme parks have been around. I got to be one of the first to go out and inspect the damage at Disney. It was really amazing to see and equally amazing to see how quickly they took care of it all.
Charley was the first real storm to directly hit Orlando since Donna... in 1960. That was a long break