Hurricane Irma | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Hurricane Irma

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Andrew was south Florida. Worst for central/Orlando was Charlie in 2004. Didn't help that three more minor storms followed on its heels. Took down a ton of trees at Disney, did a lot of damage to the surrounding area. I was in Deland at the time, about 45 minutes east of the Mouse, went without power for almost 6 weeks, but I knew of people who went 3 months.
Yeah Charlie and the others was a super not fun time. Worst batch of hurricanes I've ever been directly impacted (Andrew was just some wind and rain where I was in South Florida). We were out of power for I don't even know how long at least 2 months or so, we were the last house in our neighborhood to get power. Add on top of that water was contaminated too on and off throughout. By the time the 3rd or 4th got here I just decided to leave and head to Georgia for a break. I remember seeing those blue tarps for what seemed like 2 years after those storms rolled through.

i have a reservation booked for 9/8-9/12
contemplating to cancel but being told it's a $200 cancellation fee
don't want to get stuck in the hotel for half the trip if irma does close the parks
the uncertainty is stressful

Look into cancellation policies due to hurricanes. It might require the city to be under a hurricane watch to occur.

Reactions: JoeCamel
yea, spoke with them just now
just reading the same script about they will only waive fees for rescheduling/cancellation if the city is under a hurricane watch
but because im suppose to arrive on friday; the hurricane warning mostly likely wont be issued until ive already arrived

yea, spoke with them just now
just reading the same script about they will only waive fees for rescheduling/cancellation if the city is under a hurricane watch
but because im suppose to arrive on friday; the hurricane warning mostly likely wont be issued until ive already arrived

Who is quoting the fee? The airline or the hotel? If it's the airline, continue to monitor travel alerts. They may allow you a free change before they allow you a cancellation. If it's the hotel, you may just have to wait until closer to the date.

hotel & park tickets is charging a $200 fee to cancel as of this moment.
my flight has already been cancelled and received air credit good for a year towards a new booking.

Hoping for the best. I only come to
Florida once a year for a week but it's a second home. Stay safe everyone!

I'm with you on this one, live in the UK but have made many trips to Florida. Have yet to be in town for a hurricane but have watched many from this side of the pond and always worry for the people I know there. Stay safe everyone

Stay safe everyone!

Does anybody know what Disney and Universals safety protocol is for storms like this?

Disney sees at as an upcharge event, $15 for cheese, bread and an apple

^ Exactly.

This storm is a lot bigger than Matthew. If it follows same track, central Florida will feel the impact a lot more than what it had last year. Remember, Orlando was spared due to the little jog to the East. That little shift can make all the difference. Prepare for worst, hope for best.

This, good advice. Please don't take risks guys, this looks like being a biggy, even if it doesn't hit land it could still be catastrophic. Mother nature sure can be a biatch!

The 1800 NAM model has Irma turning north ever earlier and missing Florida completely. The 1200 GFS has it still running up the coast. The 1200 European model has shifted east some, but still makes landfall in the keys and south FL and heads North from there. Forecast is getting better, but still isn't great. The bahamas are looking to get hit hard with the latest models.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I'm assuming RTU is essentially cancelled. I saw Hard Rock cancelled their indoor concert this weekend. Also one nice perk I heard for anyone visiting Comcast opened up all their Wifi for free through 9/15, so that should include Universal.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Rumor is that Disney is planning on closing early on Sunday afternoon/evening and remaining closed on Monday. I would guess Universal and SeaWorld will also follow this.

I expect the parks to be closed Sunday through Tuesday at least. I think if damage isn't bad they'll reopen Wednesday and cancel HHN TM previews. Latest UOR opens by Friday for HHN, WDW opens Thursday latest.

Just remember at its size f it 60 miles off Daytona, tropical storm winds go past Tampa....

I'm scheduled to arrive at Disney on the 15th then moving to Universal on the 20th. I'm watching the weather more for the aftermath than the storm itself. This is my third vacation that has been effected by a hurricane. I was in Florida in 1999 with the Magic Kingdom closed for the first time because of the near miss by Floyd. Then, in 2004, I postponed my trip a few days because of Frances. Praying for the safety of all Floridians.

I was supposed to arrive on Monday, 9/11/2017. I watched Irma with growing concern for all the islands as well as my own vacation. I am on the phone with Disney to cancel my tickets (two hour wait currently). Like an idiot, I didn't purchase trip insurance even though I was booking through Dave's DVC Rentals. No refund. They might be able to resell the points but no good otherwise. At work, people are asking me why I'm not concerned about losing money on this. I think that the reason is this: Losing some money is far less impactful than what many will be going through in the coming days or have already gone through (Harvey). Also, I have a sister who lives in Naples, FL and I wonder if she is going to try and ride it out or if she'll head out. She has lived there since moving in 1985 and it's hard to say what she is going to do.

I look at it like this. The hurricane might be gone but who knows what the aftermath will be like.

Reactions: JoeCamel
I was supposed to arrive on Monday, 9/11/2017. I watched Irma with growing concern for all the islands as well as my own vacation. I am on the phone with Disney to cancel my tickets (two hour wait currently). Like an idiot, I didn't purchase trip insurance even though I was booking through Dave's DVC Rentals. No refund. They might be able to resell the points but no good otherwise. At work, people are asking me why I'm not concerned about losing money on this. I think that the reason is this: Losing some money is far less impactful than what many will be going through in the coming days or have already gone through (Harvey). Also, I have a sister who lives in Naples, FL and I wonder if she is going to try and ride it out or if she'll head out. She has lived there since moving in 1985 and it's hard to say what she is going to do.

I look at it like this. The hurricane might be gone but who knows what the aftermath will be like.
The aftermath creates major problems if traveling by car.

Reactions: Porkchop
I'm supposed to be working a shift at Disney on Saturday. I was really hoping to get out of dodge before this storm got here but it's looking like I'm going to be stuck here. I went through Charley as a child, luckily my house survived but we nearly had our roof torn off. This storm has got me incredibly nervous, having just moved to Orlando and not knowing how well my apartment will hold up...