ICON Park | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

ICON Park

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
We didn't have any break ins (wow, scary), but the service was awful, the room was awful, the mattress was awful, the area looked creepy, etc. It was a Holiday Inn too, so not the bottom of the barrel place either - lol

I am glad the person did not get into the room and that your wife and kids are OK.

Yea we lucked out. She said he tried getting twice and the second time just so happened to by while the maintenance guys was coming to fix the AC (which was a whole other story) and he questioned the guy and called security for my wife and got that guy off the property. First time we have had this problem and really the first time we have stayed off 192 in 2 years. I know some of the places rent out some low income efficiencies so i can imagine that doesn't help the matter.

Yeah, some of the hotels around there can be pretty cheap and the rents can be pretty cheap in that area too. It really is a shame, because I love Old Towne and would love to see more around that. The issue is places to eat have closed down, not opened more. The whole area has been in trouble for awhile now. Disney resorts have just put a hammer to that area and I fear there is nothing they can do to make it better.

192 is just...horrible. I really am kind of at a loss as to why Disney hasn't pumped some money (either through the RCID or directly under the Disney name) to do something about it. But that's a completely different discussion.

I am confused as to why you and others believe Disney would have any control or interest over the non-RCID 192 at all. Those are the only parts that have "gone to hell in a handbasket". The parts that they do control are mostly a tunnel of forest.

I am confused as to why you and others believe Disney would have any control or interest over the non-RCID 192 at all. Those are the only parts that have "gone to hell in a handbasket". The parts that they do control are mostly a tunnel of forest.

I had no illusion Disney controlled that area. I was saying that the more resorts they built, the more perks to those resorts, the more people that stayed on property and stopped staying off property. Those off property places along 192 were not the best places to begin with (outside entry, smaller, less amenities, etc) and therefore those started to suffer. Less tourists in the hotel, means less spending around the hotels. Places start to close, prices get dropped to try and stay open, different clientele start coming, etc. That is what I meant by Disney effecting the 192 places and also why they would never want to "help" 192 properties because they want people staying on property and that is not on-property.

I had no illusion Disney controlled that area. I was saying that the more resorts they built, the more perks to those resorts, the more people that stayed on property and stopped staying off property. Those off property places along 192 were not the best places to begin with (outside entry, smaller, less amenities, etc) and therefore those started to suffer. Less tourists in the hotel, means less spending around the hotels. Places start to close, prices get dropped to try and stay open, different clientele start coming, etc. That is what I meant by Disney effecting the 192 places and also why they would never want to "help" 192 properties because they want people staying on property and that is not on-property.

Right, and I was replying to the idea maxair presented that RCID had some control over those sleazy areas. They don't.

While Disney prefers the off property options to be dumps, they are VERY concerned about crime in the area. Let's face it. If you fly to FL to go to Disney and stay off-property and get robbed or assaulted it still has a negative effect on WDW.

Well, fortunately International Drive has fared a bit better through the years, and so I-drive Live and such should not be affected quite as much as if they were closer to Disney World, I would think...

Right, and I was replying to the idea maxair presented that RCID had some control over those sleazy areas. They don't.

Believe me, I know the RCID very, very well, and was not implying that they have any control over the areas, rather that they would provide funds as most organizations/entities/corporations do for community development funds (via county taxes, CRAs, etc.), especially considering the pressure they're always under when it comes to housing an under-earning workforce that is largely because of them (via Disney). They have various "suggestions" in their 20 year plan, but everything, including their "Housing Plan" is laughable because they clearly don't intend to do anything to actually help. You completely misunderstood/interpreted my post (I really don't know how).

One thing that would go a long way to help would be getting rid of the low-income folks that use the motels in the area as apartments. The issue they run into with trying to do that through pricing is impacting foreign visitors (and even some domestic visitors of late) that will take a 2 week or longer vacation. There is an especially alarming amount of sex offenders living in them. However, the alternative isn't really attractive, either. No one will really happily agree to a low-income housing project or few popping up in the residential areas that already exist. Further complicating things is that some of them are already slowly converting to condo/timeshare use, so where do you find a close option for the low-income workforce created by Disney with a close proximity to the workplace and public transit while pleasing tourists, business owners, and the few residents (who are paying higher rent/housing costs than comparable properties because of the location, despite the increase in crime and decreasing aesthetics of the area). Its a serious issue with no easy or apparent solution.

One thing that would go a long way to help would be getting rid of the low-income folks that use the motels in the area as apartments. The issue they run into with trying to do that through pricing is impacting foreign visitors (and even some domestic visitors of late) that will take a 2 week or longer vacation. There is an especially alarming amount of sex offenders living in them. However, the alternative isn't really attractive, either. No one will really happily agree to a low-income housing project or few popping up in the residential areas that already exist. Further complicating things is that some of them are already slowly converting to condo/timeshare use, so where do you find a close option for the low-income workforce created by Disney with a close proximity to the workplace and public transit while pleasing tourists, business owners, and the few residents (who are paying higher rent/housing costs than comparable properties because of the location, despite the increase in crime and decreasing aesthetics of the area). Its a serious issue with no easy or apparent solution.

Great post--this pretty much sums up the issue. Ultimately it comes down to the area being overbuilt. Motels would rather have tourists than sex offenders and families of 6 in a single room, but when those are the only paying customers I can see why they do what they do. I think everything east of 535 is lost. Osceola could still probably save west 192 with some strategic condemnations/demolitions. But I don't think painting the sidewalks orange or whatever other scheme they've come up with lately will do it.

Really, it's a What If, but I think they made a serious error when they let Polk County snatch Lego Land away from them. This would be a very different discussion--as would discussions re: Magic Kingdom--if Lego Land had gone into Formosa Gardens.

Update as Tweeted earlier . . .

Nothing very exciting to shoot yet.

I-DriveLive-039.jpg

I-DriveLive-040.jpg

I-DriveLive-041.jpg

I-DriveLive-042.jpg

I-DriveLive-043.jpg

I-DriveLive-044.jpg

I-DriveLive-045.jpg

I-DriveLive-046.jpg

I-DriveLive-047.jpg

I-DriveLive-048.jpg

I-DriveLive-049.jpg

I-DriveLive-050.jpg

I-DriveLive-051.jpg

I-DriveLive-052.jpg

I-DriveLive-053.jpg

I-DriveLive-054.jpg

Sorry about the clarity of the shots. I'm a little out of practice and had one of the settings on the camera wrong. :doh:

I am hoping to start providing regular updates from Busch Gardens and Sea World within the next month. We'll see what happens from there.