Illumination presents Sing | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Illumination presents Sing

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Obviously in the parks they are intending on taking down the mouse. But this isn't the parks we're talking about.

Just because the focus started in the Parks doesn't mean just the parks is in battle. They were going to buy all of Disney back in 2004 not just the parks. Which is why they scooped up Illuminations and why they are boosting their animation game with Illuminations/Dreamworks to compete with who? The only other major 6 with two big name animation studios named Disney.

Steve Burke was groomed to be CEO of Disney and he got pushed aside. This is his revenge.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
Just because the focus started in the Parks doesn't mean just the parks is in battle. They were going to buy all of Disney back in 2004 not just the parks. Which is why they scooped up Illuminations and why they are boosting their animation game with Illuminations/Dreamworks to compete with who? The only other major 6 with two big name animation studios named Disney.

Steve Burke was groomed to be CEO of Disney and he got pushed aside. This is his revenge.
Yes, their animation segment of the company has been vastly improved.

I still could care less how the films do compared to each other. Both Moana and Sing will likely be represented in the parks in some way or another which is all I care about when it comes to the parks.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
Sing just passed up Moana on "Domestic" box office

And Moana with a month's head start. Interesting. Not sure a Sing-Along version will help as it ain't Frozen but I do like the main song (How Far I'll Go?). On the other hand, I've seen lots of Moana merch but zero Sing in stores which is interesting.

Reactions: Mad Dog
That's a pretty funny record to break. But it's cool to see nowadays that there's enough screens that two movies can be concurrently so successful.

Illumination and Universal’s animated show crossed the $200M mark at the international box office this weekend with an extra $23.3M in 61 territories for a total of $206.3M. Worldwide, that tunes up to $463.7M. In the UK/ireland and France, the openings were No. 1. While the UK/Ireland kicked off at No. 3 on Friday, Saturday saw a spike to No. 1 for a weekend estimate of $13M (including previews). That’s better than The Secret Life Of Pets’ start last year and is good for Illumination’s biggest bow of an original. In France, Sing scored $4.9M including previews. It took over the No. 1 spot from La La Land on Saturday with many sold-out shows, and Sunday was expected to go higher. It’s the 4th biggest winter animated release ever in France. Holds are good in other majors like Germany (-38%) and Mexico (-39%). China (February 17), Russia (March 2) and Japan (March 17) are in the wings.

I still don't understand the Sing appeal- it was so mediocre to me. I enjoyed SLOP and Trolls much more (although they were still pretty generic- trolls less so). There really didn't seem to be any heart in Sing, but the general movie going audience just likes pizzaz, I suppose. Hence: Transformers :D
My ratings for studios the last few years are:
1) Laika
2) Disney
3) Dreamworks (barely above Pixar thanks to HTTYD)
4) Pixar
And at a very distant 5) Illumination (Minions is it for me here)

Laika, for obvious reasons (Kubo being the best animated film Ive seen in a decade)- but Disney has been can't miss for me lately. Basically everything since Princess and the Frog I've adored.

Reactions: fryoj
I still don't understand the Sing appeal- it was so mediocre to me. I enjoyed SLOP and Trolls much more (although they were still pretty generic- trolls less so). There really didn't seem to be any heart in Sing, but the general movie going audience just likes pizzaz, I suppose. Hence: Transformers :D
My ratings for studios the last few years are:
1) Laika
2) Disney
3) Dreamworks (barely above Pixar thanks to HTTYD)
4) Pixar
And at a very distant 5) Illumination (Minions is it for me here)

Laika, for obvious reasons (Kubo being the best animated film Ive seen in a decade)- but Disney has been can't miss for me lately. Basically everything since Princess and the Frog I've adored.
Agreed. I don't understand the appeal of the movie whatsoever. It's certainly not something that will stick imo.

I also agree with your studio rankings, just flip DWA and Pixar. Pixar hasn't been as great as they used to, but DWA movies are so... "meh" to me. Trolls was decent though (definitely one of their better outings at least).

Reactions: fryoj
I am such a huge fan of Laika's output. Do they have something in production for 2018 already?

Well with the announcement of Sing 2 and Minions 2, I'm definitely not looking forward to Illuminations current line up.

Sing was a fairly self contained film, it's not one that screams sequel. I mean what's gonna' happen in the second one, the theater is threatened to close again? Chances are it's gonna' be another singing/talent show and it's gonna' be more of the same. An' considering the 1st was quite mediocre, more of the same is not a good thing, especially if the trailers give away most of the emotional plot points.

Sing crossed 500 mil worldwide saturday and still has 3 major markets to go (China, Japan and Russia) as well as some minor markets. Analysts are assuming it will end its worldwide run at 700 mil on a 75 mil budget.

Looks like Illumination is trying to get more money out of the soundtrack and to remind people this movie exists now that it's coming out on blu-ray soon:

It's on Apple TV already but I didn't want to pay $19.99 for it without seeing it first.

Sing was the 7th most profitable film of 2016 making a total of $194 million profit for Universal. In comparsion, Secret life was the most profitable film of 2016 with $374 million in profit, with Finding Dory at 4, Zootopia at 5, and Moana at 12

Sing was the 7th most profitable film of 2016 making a total of $194 million profit for Universal. In comparsion, Secret life was the most profitable film of 2016 with $374 million in profit, with Finding Dory at 4, Zootopia at 5, and Moana at 12
And, yes, it's the bottom line that counts. :thumbsup: