Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023) | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

Illumination's Super Mario Bros (2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Pretty much everything looks good cept' for Mario himself, can't say I'm surprised that Chris Pratt sounds like Chris Pratt with a smidge of an accent. It does make for quite a stark contrast to Jack Black who's legit voicing a character with Bowser.

I've seen some folks befuddled by Keegan-Michael Key voicing Toad, though I will happily take the voice he's using over anyone trying to emulate Toad's voice from the games. What we're getting is an act of mercy, there.

I will admit if I had no knowledge that this was being made by Illumination I'd be optimistic. But maybe Nintendo is making sure it will be?

The trailer looks great (and when I say looks, I truly mean the film looks expansive in scope with beautiful vistas), but still gives me mixed feelings. I still don't have the hope they won't try to go for the cheap laughs for little kids that make it sort of like a Minions movie disguised as a Mario movie. I'll probably always be skeptical of this until I see it and that's nothing against this movie, it's about Illumination earning my trust back. They haven't put out a solid, heartfelt movie since Despicable Me, which was their first movie ever.

Last edited:
The trailer looks great, but still gives me mixed feelings. I still don't have the hope they won't try to go for the cheap laughs for little kids that make it sort of like a Minions movie disguised as a Mario movie. I'll probably always be skeptical of this until I see it and that's nothing against this movie, it's about Illumination earning my trust back. They haven't put out a solid, heartfelt movie since Despicable Me, which was their first movie ever.
Agreed but Nintendo supervising them

Think Universal is like just make us money and we dont care what you make...Nintendo isn't like that. This is their first movie that Nintendo is apart of and doubt they want it to be crap

Agreed but Nintendo supervising them

Think Universal is like just make us money and we dont care what you make...Nintendo isn't like that. This is their first movie that Nintendo is apart of and doubt they want it to be crap
Illumination is known for making animated projects at a pretty economical rate. I have to imagine that this film may be an exception to it where this film actually has a decent budget.

Initially I didn't like like Mario's voice but after several viewings it's starting to grow on me. I cannot wait to see more though. The movie looks amazing and I can already see huge potential for spins offs/sequels. .

Reactions: Darko
Glad we will have lots of Bob Burgers video's in the future, lol

I'm not hating on Chris but to me the other vocie actors...seem to be acting more and Chris is just doing him. While I loved him in GOTG, I hope he really does fit the character better in the film

I think, based on the very limited exposure to the voice Pratt is going with, that they've actually made a smart choice. Mario's voice in the games works in the games, but to utilize something that silly (and, let's be real, stereotyped) for an entire movie would probably be pretty grating.

Pratt appears to be going for "just a regular East Coast guy who happens to have Italian heritage," and I think that could work fine.

I think, based on the very limited exposure to the voice Pratt is going with, that they've actually made a smart choice. Mario's voice in the games works in the games, but to utilize something that silly (and, let's be real, stereotyped) for an entire movie would probably be pretty grating.

Pratt appears to be going for "just a regular East Coast guy who happens to have Italian heritage," and I think that could work fine.

With the out of trailer context I kinda loose Pratt in it and just hear Linda Belcher so I think it's a good voice.

Ya I don’t get the negativity at all, don’t even think it sounds much like Pratt. If people are pre determined to hate things, they will.

Its the mix of Chris Pratt saying it would be unlike anything you heard and people thinking that Mario would do the stereotypical italian Charles Martinet voice rather than the Capt Lou Abalone brooklyn new york. Pratt is doing the capt lou version more so which a lot of people don't know about so its turning them off.

Its the mix of Chris Pratt saying it would be unlike anything you heard and people thinking that Mario would do the stereotypical italian Charles Martinet voice rather than the Capt Lou Abalone brooklyn new york. Pratt is doing the capt lou version more so which a lot of people don't know about so its turning them off.
Pratt gets a lot of hate in general since he’s just everywhere so part of it feels par for the course for me. I don’t think Nintendo would do this if they couldn’t get a Mario voice they feel is right. Also he said like 4 things lol. Give me the full trailer before I have a take.

That all being said, can we talk more about how KMK as Toad is PERFECTION.