Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb | Page 234 | Inside Universal Forums

Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I am amazed at the change in feeling about this. Last week, the lights were amazing, the statue was amazing, the dang lockers were amazing. Now? It's a horrible terrible no good ride with pathetic lighting. Poor Universal, all that time and money all wasted.

Every ride is going to have pros and cons. Even with my cons listed, I still rated the attraction re-do high.

Reactions: GAcoaster and Joel
So the queue is underwhelming? What the hell were they talking about then with the "completely redesigned" queue and new, original storyline? This project seemed so ambitious at first.
This is what's getting me most. The queue seems to be practically identical in design and just redecorated, and apparently there's hardly a story at all. While it's definately an improvement over what was there before, I still think what we got was a bit underwhelming. However, considering the entire experience is still improved overall, I can't get too angry. I'm just disappointed.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Every ride is going to have pros and cons. Even with my cons listed, I still rated the attraction re-do high.

I don't know.. People loved the coaster before, so it's just odd the hate about ANY improvements to the ride experience. If they had just let it alone would people be hating on it? It's just sad, really sad

Reactions: Joel and tielo
The very first ride on it I had in the seat that I always rode before the transformation, back left... I was absolutely shocked at how rough it was! Easily rougher than before it closed, and I rode it a ton the summer before it closed. I assumed it was a bad wheel or something, since I kept hearing that it was smooth from everyone who spoke about it. Today I went back for another ride because I was so confused. I rode in the second row hoping to get the smoothest experience.. EXACT SAME! Shuffled the whole time, with some pretty bad headbanging.. Even went back later to ride a third ride, and this time I rode towards the middle. This was the best ride I had, but it was in the middle two seats rather than the edge seats (the first two were both on the edge). I still felt the shaking, in fact I saw the whole train shuffling back and forth in front of me the whole time, but it felt like a weird combination of smoothness and shakiness. Not sure how to describe it, but it was still enough for me to come off the ride with my ears hurting a bit. I will just say that I have ridden tons of B&Ms, never once felt this king of shaking.. Something is definitely not right.. Also, I found the launch effects a little bit underwhelming compared to the old "I think this time its going to work!! -- WARNING *sirens*-NO--NOOOO!" And the white of the screens was a little bit overwhelming in my opinion, it made the launch tunnel look very barren and industrial compared to before.. Lots of mixed feelings personally!

I don't know.. People loved the coaster before, so it's just odd the hate about ANY improvements to the ride experience. If they had just let it alone would people be hating on it? It's just sad, really sad

I'd say everything is an improvement, sans the story. I get the hate on that.

If I may jump on a soapbox a bit.

I believe some of the push back may be a bit of what the end result was, in comparison to what rumors originally had described. That's the problem with rumors, besides something getting lost in translation, it also means that something can be changed during the design/construction process. To the General Public, they'd be none the wiser of any of this (Off-topic - I saw someone on my FB say "Hulk Soft Opened, I guess that means they made the launch softer.") ; but the hardcore fan follows every nook and cranny while it's being built and have seen many different reports and speculation that they are bound to build up their own hype based on their own imagination. It's better to judge on what's presented in front of you, instead of judging of what you thought it could have been. The Hulk Coaster received new trains, on-board audio, new track, a renovated queue with a modernized look and a better launch effect. All those are positives from the previous version.

The story argument isn't without merit. However, this isn't Kong. You're getting on a roller coaster. Would it add to the experience? Sure; but it doesn't detract from it.

Now I will say some other things have been odd..... but that's more in line of them opening this as ASAP as they are.

I wonder if all this talk about how smooth it is now is actually a kind of placebo effect. People are told how much smoother it is and automatically cognitively reframe their impression of it or their memory of how rough it was before to fit that narrative.

Reactions: gator
I found the tunnel effect to be an improvement (although I do miss the "warning..".) Overall I consider it more of a plussing than a upgrade. Its essentially the same queue, ride and tunnel with effects that have been upgraded rather than completely overhauled. I am still surprised of the roughness though. Wonder if its just one train since some people say its fine and others get banged around.

Reactions: tharossta
I found the tunnel effect to be an improvement (although I do miss the "warning..".) Overall I consider it more of a plussing than a upgrade. Its essentially the same queue, ride and tunnel with effects that have been upgraded rather than completely overhauled. I am still surprised of the roughness though. Wonder if its just one train since some people say its fine and others get banged around.

Isn't a plussing in an upgrade though? :lol:

Reactions: Bryce and Joel
I agree the lighting affects, the tunnel affects, on-board audio and the queue (imo a lot less of an improvement than expected tbh) were all upgrades... however you have to be there past dark to see the coaster looking all cool with it's new lighting package.

Yes this is definitely an improved coaster. The audio and tunnel affects basically guarantee that (and of course the sleek new trains). But this still doesn't feel like it should've taken 11 months.

...Perhap's it's just me, but maybe perhaps the reason why they took the time to get this coaster back up in good condition, was that they wanted to give people a reason to come to the park's at night?

I may be out of my mind here, but with Kong, Hulk, and Toothsome; it could culminate to a great way to excurse into the parks for some later fun with friends and family (or Co-Workers and allies).

Once again, perhap's it's just my imagination; but I could see that being the reason why they placed a good amount of dedication to having these experiences look like something to do at night, much more as opposed to the day.

Reactions: UNIrd
I wonder if all this talk about how smooth it is now is actually a kind of placebo effect. People are told how much smoother it is and automatically cognitively reframe their impression of it or their memory of how rough it was before to fit that narrative.

This is possible.. though I rode dragons multiple times tonight and found none of the issue that I experienced on hulk. Just a glass smooth ride with no headbanging.. (20 years later)

This is possible.. though I rode dragons multiple times tonight and found none of the issue that I experienced on hulk. Just a glass smooth ride with no headbanging.. (20 years later)

You think dragons is smooth? I wouldn't even get on that one again after the one time that rattled my brains so bad I checked to see if I was leaking brain matter outta my ears. To me all those kinds of coasters rattle my brains. I much prefer rides like Mummy to Hulk types.

Reactions: gbird and Mad Dog
This is what's getting me most. The queue seems to be practically identical in design and just redecorated, and apparently there's hardly a story at all. While it's definately an improvement over what was there before, I still think what we got was a bit underwhelming. However, considering the entire experience is still improved overall, I can't get too angry. I'm just disappointed.
I greatly appreciate universal taking the time to redo it, something Disney can't (i.e. Disco Yeti/Space Mountain) but I completely agree with @captainmoch, not angry but slightly disappointed in the end result. But I am happy to finally have it back.

You think dragons is smooth? I wouldn't even get on that one again after the one time that rattled my brains so bad I checked to see if I was leaking brain matter outta my ears. To me all those kinds of coasters rattle my brains. I much prefer rides like Mummy to Hulk types.

Dragons has definitely gotten rougher, but I feel like it's still smoother than Hulk, both before and after the refurb.

...Perhap's it's just me, but maybe perhaps the reason why they took the time to get this coaster back up in good condition, was that they wanted to give people a reason to come to the park's at night?

I may be out of my mind here, but with Kong, Hulk, and Toothsome; it could culminate to a great way to excurse into the parks for some later fun with friends and family (or Co-Workers and allies).

Once again, perhap's it's just my imagination; but I could see that being the reason why they placed a good amount of dedication to having these experiences look like something to do at night, much more as opposed to the day.

2i7wxoz.png

The park hours reveal that is a lie. /Maury

The seats are there and being used. I watched guests being rearranged to put the bigger one in those seats. They do not fit every person. I saw at least one person that couldn't even fit in that seat.

are the test seats working? like the ones at gringotts that give you a green/red light if you fit?

The very first ride on it I had in the seat that I always rode before the transformation, back left... I was absolutely shocked at how rough it was! Easily rougher than before it closed, and I rode it a ton the summer before it closed. I assumed it was a bad wheel or something, since I kept hearing that it was smooth from everyone who spoke about it. Today I went back for another ride because I was so confused. I rode in the second row hoping to get the smoothest experience.. EXACT SAME! Shuffled the whole time, with some pretty bad headbanging.. Even went back later to ride a third ride, and this time I rode towards the middle. This was the best ride I had, but it was in the middle two seats rather than the edge seats (the first two were both on the edge). I still felt the shaking, in fact I saw the whole train shuffling back and forth in front of me the whole time, but it felt like a weird combination of smoothness and shakiness. Not sure how to describe it, but it was still enough for me to come off the ride with my ears hurting a bit. I will just say that I have ridden tons of B&Ms, never once felt this king of shaking.. Something is definitely not right.. Also, I found the launch effects a little bit underwhelming compared to the old "I think this time its going to work!! -- WARNING *sirens*-NO--NOOOO!" And the white of the screens was a little bit overwhelming in my opinion, it made the launch tunnel look very barren and industrial compared to before.. Lots of mixed feelings personally!

So, the comment about the train shuffling,and shaking makes me think you feel the ride isn't safe? Like something is actually wrong with the train alignment? That is kinda scary. The words "not right" concern me.