Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb | Page 237 | Inside Universal Forums

Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Found some posts..

Just as a point of order, SM has been partially retracked on a couple of occasions.

As for B&Ms, expected life span would be about 20-25 years without the need to retrack under ordinary circumstances. I don't know or pretend to know the reason for some sections being removed at the moment, but other B&Ms with onboard audio don't have a different gauge of track to support the extra weight so it won't be replaced for that reason. Bizarro at SFGAdv and Hollywood Dream at USJ both have onboard audio with exactly the same track structure as other models of the floorless and hyper respectively.

from @DragonSlayer..
Looks like the lifespan is about 20-25 years.

Being that the Hulk was a first of its kind type of ride, I would expect that B&Ms calculations could have been somewhat off in terms of fatigue life but only for the first half of the ride. They can set the exit speed into the back half of the ride with more control using the mid course brake run, and that back section should last just as long as any other ride. It looks like they have been removing the back half though. Can anyone confirm that?

Also, Space Mountain was retracked completely in 2009. The article says rails, but I've seen pictures and they mean the track including the rails. Support structure was patched as necessary as far as I remember.
Source: Space Mountain: Closing for refurbishment - Orlando Sentinel

@Shellemonster brings up a good point that Hulk was the first launch coaster for B&M so they may have intentionally under-estimated the lifespan which is why it was replaced at 16 years

The lack of characters in the queue tells me that Universal may not have had the freedom they hoped to use with them.

"Uncooperative" from Brandon, and "Something's rotten in Denmark" from Test Track. You may be on to something. . It could be the first shot fired in the future "Guardian's of the Galaxy' war....This all is starting to sound like an old time multi issue Marvel comic book mass battle series, "Disney vs. Universal, a Galactic Battle" :fight:......Of course, like you, I'm just surmising. :)

No.

Reactions: Mike S and Joel
"Uncooperative" from Brandon, and "Something's rotten in Denmark" from Test Track. You may be on to something. . It could be the first shot fired in the future "Guardian's of the Galaxy' war....This all is starting to sound like an old time multi issue Marvel comic book mass battle series, "Disney vs. Universal, a Galactic Battle" :fight:......Of course, like you, I'm just surmising. :)

No more like dragging their feet, stalling on approvals, and that type of thing to keep the coaster down longer (petty stuff).

Reactions: Mike S and Mad Dog
Found some posts..

from @DragonSlayer..
Looks like the lifespan is about 20-25 years.

@Shellemonster brings up a good point that Hulk was the first launch coaster for B&M so they may have intentionally under-estimated the lifespan which is why it was replaced at 16 years

I can't imagine the launch would affect the life span in any way. Once you're past the launch, it's going to be built the same as any other B&M.

I think the best comparison would be Kumba. Similar type and environment as Hulk.

It's a roller coaster. A roller coaster with a themed queue, just like it was before, but with some updates.

Just like Kong, the imaginations of those watching the project and not knowing what was going on blew expectations out of proportions.

It's better than it was, but at it's heart it's still just a roller coaster and there is a queue with some theme elements. It was never going to turn into an immersive dark ride experience and coaster all in one.

It's a roller coaster. A roller coaster with a themed queue, just like it was before, but with some updates.

Just like Kong, the imaginations of those watching the project and not knowing what was going on blew expectations out of proportions.

It's better than it was, but at it's heart it's still just a roller coaster and there is a queue with some theme elements. It was never going to turn into an immersive dark ride experience and coaster all in one.
Good point. People often have unrealistic expectations.

Instead it seems creative is continuing its recent trend of just good enough rather than being the best..

It does seem like quantity over quality. F&F and Fallon only contribute further to this idea.

Kumba is still super smooth, really great coaster.

I've always found it a little odd how some coasters get rougher and others remain perfectly smooth after however long. I always figured that some form of suspension would have been added to the wheel assembly by now.

I was listening to an old Jim Hill Podcast (I know :look:) in IOA. I never really noticed just how loud the old Hulk was. I was out a walk earlier and I kept thinking I could hear cars approaching me but it was the Hulk in the podcast. Even when they were in Suess and JP, it was still very noticeable in the background.

Especially people on forums like these who obsess over this stuff. It's easy to get carried away imagining and projecting your ideas of what something SHOULD be while watching the reality play out with budget and time constraints.
This was the case for me 100%. I always try to avoid spoilers in threads while watching construction updates. Occasionally I see a bit here or there that I'd rather not have seen but it just ends up hyping me more :lol:
It's hard deciding to be surprised or to know what to expect.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
Toothsome staff say middle of the month. If they are right you are good to go:thumbsup:

giphy.gif

Thank you, @ConvolutedFrippery for providing the exact gif I was going to use in response to @Galaxy Defender

I think you're reading too much into what I said. Somethings off and weird but not that bad lol
Actually, I didn't read anything into your comment initially. That's why I joked about it. But then when the couple of comments from HTF came, and the cryptic comment from Brandon, along with Bob Harlem's question, well it seemed like it was time to fish for a comment. :)....I actually don't personally care much about the Hulk issues, since my coaster days are behind me. If I ride Hulk once a vacation, I'm lucky......But, my curiosity became piqued because of the comments, plus all the negativity popping up when it was all positive a few days ago. :lol:

Reactions: martymcflyy85
It does seem like quantity over quality. F&F and Fallon only contribute further to this idea.

I've always found it a little odd how some coasters get rougher and others remain perfectly smooth after however long. I always figured that some form of suspension would have been added to the wheel assembly by now.

I was listening to an old Jim Hill Podcast (I know :look:) in IOA. I never really noticed just how loud the old Hulk was. I was out a walk earlier and I kept thinking I could hear cars approaching me but it was the Hulk in the podcast. Even when they were in Suess and JP, it was still very noticeable in the background.
Yeah, the noise was crazy loud. I remember when calling for meal reservations, the poor ladies taking the reservations would always complain it was hard to hear because their office was close to the Hulk & all it's noise.