Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

IOA Fun Facts

if you stand right next to the construction wall on the far right side of the entrance to WWoHP (by Oasis Coolers, i believe,) you can hear a man trying to sell a tourist a camel. I've been to IOA dozens of times and the last time i went was the first time i heard that.

^I noticed that too when I last visited in late October. I even recorded the majority of the conversation on my camera. However, when the memory card filled a couple hours later and I wanted to keep taking photos, I ended-up deleting the audio. Hopefully someone else records it soon, especially if it'll be gone once Harry Potter opens.
Just to throw it in there, it was a pretty entertaining negotiation between the camel seller and the possible customer :lol:

"This camel? 45 days, no water!" i lol'd at that too. I think it was supposed to sound like it was coming from one of the stores in LC so that when you were in that area, you'd hear them negotiating the price of the camel inside one of the gift stores or something like that. really cool idea.

To anyone curious where the camel-sale-negotiation can be heard, it's near the Hogsmeade entrance in the Lost Continent, right alongside an ice cream stand with this painted on the side:

img1840j.jpg

Just to say, I love how much detail they poured into something as simple as the side of an ice-cream stand.

it really is amazing, all the detail they put in the ice cream stand. and of course the camel sale. i really hope these little touches make it in hogsmeade and the forbidden journey.

^Agreed- hearing different Harry Potter characters talking in the upper-floors of buildings and in alley-ways would really add to the experience, and it'd leave plenty to be discovered in the area, meaning it wouldn't quickly become dull or boring.

those little things are one of the main reasons i love coming back to IOA (i have an annual pass and i'm usually there twice a month). every time i've gone, and i seriously mean EVERY time, i have found some new little detail that blows my mind. having so many little things put in to it makes it just that much better when you find them after your 100th visit.

Just to clarify the story of the bent palm trees in Seuss Landing. The trees were not literally bent by the winds of the hurricane as a palm trunk only has so much sway to them and cannot be permanently bent by wind. Trunked palms blow over from their roots becoming loosened in the wet soil long before they would ever snap in half. What did happen to bend them was the hurricanes blew the entire palm tree partially over, lets say at a 70 degree angle. All plants want to grow towards the sun, so the trees just naturally started growing their new trunks upwards creating a bend.

Those are Washington Palms which grow very fast, especially in south Florida. A few of them had to have been caught up in more than one hurricane as they bend twice, meaning they were blown over in one direction at some point and then the opposite direction at a later time.

Regarding the level of detail found through-out Islands of Adventure, I just wanted share some of the scenery and themeing added into part of Seuss Landing I noticed on my last trip:

img1794w.jpg

Sneetch Beach, a simple beach of sorts. Notice how the fence is designed to look like thin pieces of wood, while it's actually a more durable material.

img1735l.jpg

Here's an overview of the beach, as seen from Port of Entry.

img1739sr.jpg

Three Sneetches are relaxing in the water, enjoying the warm weather.

img1786.jpg

On the beach, there are three towles for the three swimming Sneetches. There's also several Dr. Seuss books- some good reads while lounging on the beach.

img1793r.jpg

However, instead of reading, the Sneetches have probably spent more time working on this whimsical sand castle.

img1790c.jpg

They also have the radio playing, which actually plays audio relating to the Seuss World (I filmed this one too, but when I needed more space on the memory card... :()

img1801h.jpg

Taking a few steps back from the sand, however, we find the beach's shower.

img1787cb.jpg

Back on the beach, we can clearly see the Sneetches's foot-prints...

img1792b.jpg

...As well as the body-imprint of a Sneetch, after apparently doing a face-plant in the sand :lol:

The whole area doesn't have any major attractions or anything, and based off the number of other people I saw down there, it doesn't draw any major crowds, but it's still extremely detailed. One of my favorite things about Islands of Adventure.

Just to clarify the story of the bent palm trees in Seuss Landing. The trees were not literally bent by the winds of the hurricane as a palm trunk only has so much sway to them and cannot be permanently bent by wind. Trunked palms blow over from their roots becoming loosened in the wet soil long before they would ever snap in half. What did happen to bend them was the hurricanes blew the entire palm tree partially over, lets say at a 70 degree angle. All plants want to grow towards the sun, so the trees just naturally started growing their new trunks upwards creating a bend.

Those are Washington Palms which grow very fast, especially in south Florida. A few of them had to have been caught up in more than one hurricane as they bend twice, meaning they were blown over in one direction at some point and then the opposite direction at a later time.

According to Universal, they were rescued after Hurricane Andrew, so I'm pretty sure it's possible that more than one hurricane affected tree growth, but I like to think it was just Andrew. ;)

^Although there are definitely some similarities, I think it's mostly coincidence- with the castle in Seuss Landing, they ere simply trying for a "whimsical" appearance- something they easily achieved.

More facts, courtesy of Universal Orlando's FB page:

-The length of the Ice Dragon track and the Fire Dragon track of Dueling Dragons combined equal 6,226 feet. Stretched out, this would be equivalent to the height of four and a half Empire State Buildings.

-A special paint called Chrome-Illusion is used on the buildings in Marvel Super Hero Island to produce different colors depending on the angle viewed and position of the light. Thus, the island actually changes color as the sun passes overhead.

-The precisely-trimmed landscaping around Shrek 4-D mirrors the perfect trees and shrubbery found in Lord Farquaad's kingdom of Duloc.

-Steven Spielberg is featured in the Men In Black: Alien Attack attraction sitting on a bench, reading a newspaper. Shooting at his hat reveals that he's merely an alien in disguise (the newspaper contains an article about Jurassic Park 3).

The chrome illusion paint fact is an interesting fact and I'm surprised I never caught the Steven Speilberg joke.

Maybe I have but I just don't remember.