Jurassic Park Refurbishment | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic Park Refurbishment

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Might have been a cost measure, although I can't imagine there being a significant difference between a hydraulic actuator and an electric one. Maybe it being in a water environment and there being less chance for a short in a hydraulic system versus an electric one? Or maybe animitronics just use hydraulic where a ride vehicle would use electric? Something about the difference in weight maybe? As in an animitronic would not need something as strong as a ride vehicle? Who knows.

^ which leads me to wonder, if they can make the scoops move quickly like monster beetles with linear actuators, why can't the use actuators on all animated figures... at least the big ones? Everyone ponder that and get back to me.

Might have been a cost measure, although I can't imagine there being a significant difference between a hydraulic actuator and an electric one. Maybe it being in a water environment and there being less chance for a short in a hydraulic system versus an electric one? Or maybe animitronics just use hydraulic where a ride vehicle would use electric? Something about the difference in weight maybe? As in an animitronic would not need something as strong as a ride vehicle? Who knows.

No tech knowledge whatsoever here, but I'll put this out there - I recall hearing that the Luxo Jr. animatronic @ Pixar Place (Hollywood Studios) was an experimental AA that used electronic actuators instead of hydraulic. As everyone knows, that AA was very impressive... and also extremely unreliable to the point that they retired it. If Luxo was in fact run by electric actuators, I think we know the reason it hasn't been attempted by Universal (who has never been as good as Disney when it comes to animatronics.)

No tech knowledge whatsoever here, but I'll put this out there - I recall hearing that the Luxo Jr. animatronic @ Pixar Place (Hollywood Studios) was an experimental AA that used electronic actuators instead of hydraulic. As everyone knows, that AA was very impressive... and also extremely unreliable to the point that they retired it. If Luxo was in fact run by electric actuators, I think we know the reason it hasn't been attempted by Universal (who has never been as good as Disney when it comes to animatronics.)

This. Also there are plenty of Scoop vehicles to where if need be they can rotate them out of maintenance and back in. This allows them to be tuned and on a rotation for upkeep. Where as a big Animatronic unlike a ride vehicle, is often a stationary showpiece that can not be just easily taken out and a replacement put in on the fly or overnight.(like the Yeti)

I think it is a given to feature Ted in puppet like Stewie Griffin form from 05. If more than one of us felt that on our own the chances are good. And yes, it does write itself being a Universal film and Ted being the name already in the show's title.

Also, I am betting they have thought of easily introducing him through a thunder sound effect randomly happening and someone shouting "Where's my thunder buddy?" And those in the audience who know the song can get away with singing all the words, even the vulgar ones.

I think it is a given to feature Ted in puppet like Stewie Griffin form from 05. If more than one of us felt that on our own the chances are good. And yes, it does write itself being a Universal film and Ted being the name already in the show's title.

Also, I am betting they have thought of easily introducing him through a thunder sound effect randomly happening and someone shouting "Where's my thunder buddy?" And those in the audience who know the song can get away with singing all the words, even the vulgar ones.

What?

Disney's AA's are definitely amazing and in overall performance surpass Universal in almost every way except in reliability as of late. Not to say Universal has bad AA's by any means it's just Disney has mastered it and it's the one thing I approve their gross over spending on. If you were to come up with a top ten AA list I would have a hard time putting any Universal one on there except either Tiffany or one of the Trikes like Cera.

Disney's AA's are definitely amazing and in overall performance surpass Universal in almost every way except in reliability as of late. Not to say Universal has bad AA's by any means it's just Disney has mastered it and it's the one thing I approve their gross over spending on. If you were to come up with a top ten AA list I would have a hard time putting any Universal one on there except either Tiffany or one of the Trikes like Cera.

Yup. It's one of the reasons we don't really see a lot of AAs from Uni. No one does AAs like Disney. Mostly because Disney has most of the good AA tech patented.

It would have been interesting to see how the Transformers AAs would have turned out.

Even though he may be a small AA he's probably the most "authentic" and "realistic" one i've ever seen.

The Yeti was so real it broke. Doesn't count, but when it worked there was nothing better.

And the new Mater I'd say is probably one of the best too. It just isn't something that would ever look real.

There are a few in RSR's that look amazing and can't wait to see them.