Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jurassic World: Dominion

I don't know about sleazy, but I did deliberately avoid watching that when it was released because I assumed it was the opening of the movie (and it seems like it was once intended to be).

Geff Goldblum made this worth watching for me, and i'd argue it was a step up from Fallen Kingdom.

Dissapointing in some ways but also entertaining, all be it forgettable, fun.

Terrible, disappointing, boring film. No real plot, just a collection of sub-plots that never coalesce into anything greater. The set-up from the end of Fallen Kingdom is largely ignored to (once again) retread familiar ground. Most of the run-time is spent with the human characters, and the big threat isn't even Dinosaurs this time (at least that's different, I guess? Not as much Dinosaur action as I was expecting). The Malta scene was great, though. The park is closed.

1 Star

Just got back from the theaters. There are a few ups and downs, but the original characters in the movie made it worthwhile for me. Could have been better, but the story made it worth a while.

Just got back from the theaters. There are a few ups and downs, but the original characters in the movie made it worthwhile for me. Could have been better, but the story made it worth a while.
I would like a cut of a film which is just the OG characters

they were much better then the new cast which literally have no reason to be in this film, lol

I got pulled into seeing it on Tuesday. Thanks AMC Stubs and discount Tuesdays!

Ugh. Not quite as awful as Fallen Kingdom but still a dog crap movie. Please let this franchise die.

Okay so I watched this a 2nd time.... and yep, it's total crap :lol:

Seriously though, I'm a huge Jurassic fan & I was part of the opening team of JW at USH (still not happy with the lackluster retheme). Anyway..

- One thing that stuck out from this 2nd viewing was that they could've easily done a 1-season mini series for the Biosyn plot. I had no issues with the Biosyn/Locust plot only because Biosyn gave me strong Umbrella Corp vibes.

- Maisey the clone was an interesting plot twist in Fallen Kingdom, but I absolutely disliked her in Dominion. She's a boring obnoxious waste of eyeroll inducing screen time. Also, I seriously was waiting for Dr Henry Wu to say that he was the father & she wasn't really a clone cliche.

- Owen is such a lame character & I still wish his backstory was the he is the kid Grant scared in JP1..

- Dr Henry Wu was such a great character with a hint of mad scientist aspect, but then in Dominion they tossed aside all of that & made him boring. His character was so wasted.

- the new pilot character should've been Kelly from Lost World.

Okay there's more I want to break down about this train wreck, but I'm beyond tired from work. So my brain isn't functioning properly at the moment

I just hate what they did to his character & also the hairstyle made him look much older. It's like they removed all of his genius & replaced it with a boring shell.

Also we were teased with MORE genetically engineered theme park Monsters similar to the IndoRaptor, but that plot got tossed aside..

I'd say that the female Asian assassin (sorry, name escaped me & too lazy to look), gave us the closest aspect of "weaponized dinos" that was hinted at in Fallen Kingdom

At this rate, they should've just gone full big budget b-movie nonsense by making the "half human-half Dino" hybrids happen. It would've been better than Maisey the clone :chainsaw:

I would like a cut of a film which is just the OG characters

they were much better then the new cast which literally have no reason to be in this film, lol

To be honest, I think having to accommodate the new and old cast together is one of the reasons why it's hard for Dominion to tell an actual great story. It's hard to portray a great story when you have to squeeze in the two plots to accommodate the two great era casts, resulting in confusing and lackluster stories.

I got pulled into seeing it on Tuesday. Thanks AMC Stubs and discount Tuesdays!

Ugh. Not quite as awful as Fallen Kingdom but still a dog crap movie. Please let this franchise die.

Unlikely. With $500 million being grossed globally as of June 18, 2022 since last week, fans will continue to clamor for more Jurassic Park and Universal will cave into their demands regardless of critical reception. Maybe no more Owen Grady/Claire Dearing saga (other than being referenced in later Jurassic works), but for some other things like the TV series prequel to Jurassic Park about the life and work of John Hammond. The franchise will likely never end but will continue for the time in any shape or form.

- Dr Henry Wu was such a great character with a hint of mad scientist aspect, but then in Dominion they tossed aside all of that & made him boring. His character was so wasted.

Seriously, he only appeared in a few scenes to the point I completely forget about him until the end...and I was wondering where the hell is he when the whole Biosyn disaster went down. I also felt totally misled by the fact Dr. Henry Wu was built up to be the next important villain from FK to Aftermath games on Quest to Camp Cretaceous, only for that to be discarded by his so-called redemption all out of nowhere.

I just realized that NONE of this is in the movie

It feels a bit sleezy, not gonna lie.

I don't know about sleazy, but I did deliberately avoid watching that when it was released because I assumed it was the opening of the movie (and it seems like it was once intended to be).

they always say they cut things for pacing and time.... but when studios cut stuff like this, they leave a bunch of stuff in the movie that is worst or not deeded.
i know editing and cutting a movie is hard, and i know studios have notes. but this was really bad

they always say they cut things for pacing and time.... but when studios cut stuff like this, they leave a bunch of stuff in the movie that is worst or not deeded.
i know editing and cutting a movie is hard, and i know studios have notes. but this was really bad
Yes for sure, my annoyance wasn't the fact that this scene was cut, rather, the trailers leading up to JWD advertised a completely different film from the one we got

Yes for sure, my annoyance wasn't the fact that this scene was cut, rather, the trailers leading up to JWD advertised a completely different film from the one we got
The trailer's I saw clearly made clear what kinda film this was, same with the posters

these short films are like the team Thor videos

Finally got around to catching JW: Dominion in theaters yesterday and I'm just... beyond baffled at this new trilogy. It says a lot that the first JW is the best of the three when it's a complete rehashing of the original film's story. There's so many questions that need to be accounted for it's mind boggling. The premise of these movies should be so ridiculously non complicated. It's a zoo with the most dangerous animals in the history of Earth and, due to the ignorance of man, they get free and cause chaos and disorder. The first JW understood that fine enough but what in the actual blue hell are we doing in Fallen Kingdom and Dominion? Plot contrivances that feel mashed and mushed into the story in order to reflect some kind of meaning that ultimately feels hokey and misplaced.

By far he biggest misdeed of the JW films is how astonishingly abysmal the characters are. As on an on screen presence Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard have both shown they can be great, charismatic actors yet they are drained of substance and given so very little to work with in these films. Every installment of JW feels like it introduces 20 new characters for almost no reason every time. Dominion feels like one of the weirdest uses of legacy characters in film yet. When all the characters are together it just feels so bizarre that these subtle, quirky, motivated characters from the original film are sharing the screen with one note characters who just stare into the distance until a dinosaur shows up. The mixing of worlds really highlights the painful failings of the new trilogy.

I also immensely loathe that we've had two films building up to the idea of dinosaurs re-entering society and how humans would cope with that situation yet the actual plot of the finale centers around an apparently global economic leader who wants to destroy the food chain who also just so happens to have corralled a large portion of the dino population into one central habitat? It's such a crappy cop out and a disappointing end that fizzles out rather than sizzles up. I enjoyed some of the dinosaur action earlier in the film but towards the end even that aspect of the whole series felt diminished. The final "big battle" between dinos feels like a complete after thought in a film series solely made to feature dinosaur battles.

Between the lack of compelling characters, convoluted plots, revisionist history, unweighted dramatics and unsatisfying dino action, the entire Jurassic World trilogy is such a gigantic misstep. The best parts of Dominion are Battle at Big Rock, the prologue and the T-Rex Rampage through the Drive In, none of which are actually in the movie.

I'm really late to this since as someone who isn't the most avid on here, I had no idea until now that we had a whole forum for movies and games, but I feel like putting in my two cents anyway.

Personally, I didn't think this film was outright terrible, but I also thought it wasn't like amazing either. Maybe it was a step up from Fallen Kingdom, but I think I just don't know how to feel about it overall, cause after reading this whole thread, which allowed some thoughts to simmer, I definitely see what people took issue with when I remembered other things they established in the previous two movies.

I may need to do a rewatch one day, but on one hand, I wanna say the "dinos mixing into the modern earth" thing was still kind of there? But at the same time I see how even that got pushed aside somehow. However, looking back, I do feel that the trailers and Battle at Big Rock did seem to hype up more of that theme, and it makes me wish they did better with that. I also didn't even see the prologue stuff because I thought it'd be in the film proper, and cutting those did do more harm than good now that I look back at those. On a side note, I didn't hate the locust thing, but that might be my bias of how the arcade games have you dealing with giant insects of some kind already as a type of enemy.

In short: I thought it was okay, but I totally see where people are coming from with the flaws, especially with rewatchability, which I didn't consider too much of back then, but I totally see how it helps a movie now that I remember seeing two re-releases of JP1 in the past. One was the 3D re-release (almost a decade ago, jesus) and the other was the IMAX screening they had for that anniversary event.

It is kind of strange how both Star Wars and JP had a similar fate with sequel trilogies and how the first of those was the strongest while the other two are questionable at best. :c
Though if I had to chose between TROS and this film, this one's an easy pick.