Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I saw this film a couple of weeks ago. I think going in to it I realised that if you can accept that the franchise is quite silly then you will enjoy the film and I was right. I've grown up with JP and will always love it. It is Dino's, what is not to love?! Rotten Tomatoes was always going to be rough on it because there are people out there who think they are better than this sort of film and that's fine. For me it is what it is and it's a decent Dino movie. Some of the decision making and writing is stupid, granted.

Reactions: Obi Ubamba
Saw it tonight IMAX 3d. I honestly likes it better then last one. CP seemed more relaxed and the humor was turned up. In IMAX the speakers were really turned up so lots of jumps..

Reactions: Journey_On
With 251 reviews in, JW2 is sitting at 50% on Rotten Tomatoes with an audience score of 63% so far. 51 Metacritic score. It had an A- CinemaScore.

JW had a 71% RT Score and 78% audience score with a CinemaScore of an "A" and a MetaCritic at 59.

So it's down by every metric. Expect this movie to end up grossing about $400M domestically and $800M Internationally for a tally of about $1.2B.

Last edited:
Okay one of my favorite movies ever. Top 5 for me.

Independence Day
Avengers
Jurassic World
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom
Speed.

From the beginning to the end, action packed, on edge of your seat.
I am stoked for the third installment.

Reactions: Joel
With 251 reviews in, JW2 is sitting at 50% on Rotten Tomatoes with an audience score of 63% so far. 51 Metacritic score. It had an A- CinemaScore.

JW had a 71% RT Score and 78% audience score with a CinemaScore of an "A" and a MetaCritic at 59.

So it's down by every metric. Expect this movie to end up grossing about $400M domestically and $800M Internationally for a tally of about $1.2B.

Its up in International is that is not an accurate statement.

Here's an honest fan review of the new movie...

The original trailer, I knew right away that the volcano erupting was NOT going to be the main focal point of the movie. Then when the full trailer came out, it proved my theory correct, unfortunately... these studios have a terrible marketing department nowadays when it comes to editing trailers. Like nearly every movie, the trailer showed too much here/there. But despite that, it looked interesting.

During the JP 25th anniversary event at Universal Hollywood, I got to see the first 7mins (aka- the complete opening sequence) of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. It was epic. It was very much in the vein of JAWS & Jurassic Park mashed together. It really set the tone of what to expect from the rest of the film. It got the hype that the trailer kinda lacked.

As for the movie itself?... I saw it thursday night in IMAX 3D. I honestly loved it. It was fun, scary, and enjoyable. Pretty much everything I wanted it to be. Was it perfect? Of course not. It was a fun sci-fi horror dino monster movie! I really loved that it embraced its horror movie monster roots. SO MANY NODS TO THE ORIGINAL MOVIE TOO!!!! I really want to see it again. Despite it being roughly 2hrs 8mins, it felt like a few scenes could've been extended to flesh it out a bit. Very curious to see where the story goes for the next film, HATE that we have to wait until 2021!! OMG that last scene on the island is so gut-wrenchingly heartbreaking & sad!!! Btw, there IS a post credits scene too...

I didn't say the movie wasn't going to make a lot of money. I said in my post that I expected it to make $1.2B.... that's still quite a lot.

I'm more talking about critical reception to the movie though and so far it is not good. I'll add one more: IMDB rating - JW: 7.0/10, JW2: 6.7/10. That's not terrible, but as a filmmaker, you would think you would shoot for better than this.

The studio obviously doesn't care as long as it brings in money, but it's likely to debut well below JW domestically and I2 could actually eat into it's audience as it won't get as much of the cross-over family audience as it could have otherwise. If Incredibles 2 has a drop similar to Finding Dory, it could actually post a $100M weekend again, although unlikely.

Saw it, loved it, bring on the third! It’s a different movie than Jurassic World, which played as more of family survival adventure, while this is more of a monster horror thriller. Love both can’t wait to see the tone and fallout that will show up in 3!

I had a lot of fun with it. Love a good carnotaurus.
It was a entertaining movie, but it's less thriller/sci-fi as the first JP and has turned more into a comedy/horror monster movie. Which is fine. Just a good thing to mention if you go in expecting much else.

I had a lot of fun with it. Love a good carnotaurus.
It was a entertaining movie, but it's less thriller/sci-fi as the first JP and has turned more into a comedy/horror monster movie. Which is fine. Just a good thing to mention if you go in expecting much else.
I actually think horror is right up JP/JWs alley and the original JP really showed how it can be done well. I think the fact that they're mixing comedy with horror is partly why the film to me doesn't feel cohesive. It's an odd duck.

I had fun with FALLEN KINGDOM, but I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed by it. There's some great action in the first act, but it's marred by some truly atrocious character writing and plotting, then the movie bogs down in the midsection before recovering in a major way for the last half hour, which I thought was a ton of (admittedly silly) fun.

The characters overall just didn't work for me at all in this one, save for Owen (who is only worth a damn because Chris Pratt is such a charm machine) and Maisie; the villains fare particularly badly, being essentially full cartoon caricatures. Contrast that with the first JURASSIC PARK, where everybody (except maybe Nedry) feels like a plausibly real human being.

I also found it very curious that the movie's premise seems to be at-odds with the thematic thrust of the entire franchise that has come before (that dinosaurs, though magnificent animals, should have remained extinct). The movie asks us to care about Claire's change of heart and dedication to the dinos, but her goal is absolutely absurd.

But almost everything involving the dinosaurs themselves is great, and I loved the funhouse ride vibe of the third act.

I actually think horror is right up JP/JWs alley and the original JP really showed how it can be done well. I think the fact that they're mixing comedy with horror is partly why the film to me doesn't feel cohesive. It's an odd duck.

It's the particular brand of humor in FALLEN KINGDOM that feels out-of-place, not the presence of humor in and of itself. JURASSIC PARK has humor, but it is totally organic to the characters and it never, ever (EVER) undercuts the suspense or the scares. The humor in FK frequently does that -- I point to just about every moment involving the timid tech guy as my evidence; he conforms to the old trope of the "guy out of his element whose fear and screams are used for laughs," and every attempt at humor at his expense undermines what should otherwise be intense sequences.