Jurassic World: The Ride Construction Thread | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World: The Ride Construction Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope not, I rather prefer he stay out of it, prefer something more original and iconic like Richard Kiley.
Spared no expense.

By the way, I really like your enthusiasm & knowledge of the parks. I've previously mentioned how I wish we had a West Coast Version of Alicia Stella on the USH forums. I've religiously read your Super Nintendo World updates, especially the DK coaster bits. I'm super stoked that one of our insiders revealed that Hollywood is also getting DK.
Thank you for the kind words! I wish I had more time to dig deeper into more parks around the world, but my work has me mostly entrenched in Orlando... for now anyway. And good news about DK!

I just don't get it, I really really don't. Jurassic Park The Ride and Jurassic World The Ride will be almost the exact same attraction just with shiny upgrades, new AAs and a buttload of new paint. It's still dinos, it's still the same layout, it's still generally the same experience. There isn't even a real new story. What was JPRA's story? "Go on a raft ride, things go horribly wrong and you're nearly eaten by a dinosaur". That's.... exactly the same story. There will be minimal screens, and honestly the actual references to the film will be so minimal in the long run.

Now if you're a huge fan of the color scheme, eh ok. A huge fan of the current preshow... yeah okay time to start getting worried. But this is not as drastic of a change as so many are fearing. It's just a new coat of paint on something that badly needs it. GotG and Twilight Zone are massively different franchises. Changing it out forced a huge bulk of the planted themeing of the park to be horrifically displaced. Nothing even close to that is happening here. So yeah, I can't help but shrug.

Functionally, I don't think you're wrong, but at the same time I can understand the viewpoint a person who didn't like JURASSIC WORLD not appreciating the original movie getting shoved aside for the new, shiny synergy opportunity. The ride would cease to be a reminder of a movie you love and instead be a representation of a movie you don't like, even if the exact nature of the ride itself is mostly the same.

I liked JURASSIC WORLD well enough, but it's no JURASSIC PARK (which remains the most formative movie-going experience of my life), so I can understand the attachment some might have to the "classic" version of the ride for intangible, personal connection reasons.

Dare I say, I like the Indominus Rex. Very interesting movie monster. But I also understand that it’s a made up non-real fake movie monster; not based on a real dinosaur. So that could be a reason to be upset with this change, (or at least a microcosm for the feelings some folks have that Jurassic World will always be the fake knock off of the real thing, the original Jurassic Park.)

Of course, being able to see the I-Rex in the flesh just makes me like the idea more. But that’s me.

This is an announcement I literally have absolutely no reaction to. As @Ryan said, it's pretty much going to be the same ride, just rebranded and upgraded. I don't see much to get excited over or get in a fuss about.

I guess it's nice to see Universal finally give a ride some love instead of just replace for a new one. That's not something they're really known to do.

This is an announcement I literally have absolutely no reaction to. As @Ryan said, it's pretty much going to be the same ride, just rebranded and upgraded. I don't see much to get excited over or get in a fuss about.

I guess it's nice to see Universal finally give a ride some love instead of just replace for a new one. That's not something they're really known to do.

I don't think they've ever had a reason to. Jurassic Park as an IP is just as relevant now as it was when JPRA opened. No other Universal IP has had the longevity that this has.

Reactions: smoaT
I don't think they've ever had a reason to. Jurassic Park as an IP is just as relevant now as it was when JPRA opened. No other Universal IP has had the longevity that this has.

Kind of agree - Universal get rid of old attractions far too quickly, but there are other IP's people would have said this about. I'd have ET, BTTF and Jaws in my dream park anyday and never let them close!
Where I feel this is a little different is it's an update to the attraction based on the newer films in the same franchise, so it kind of feels ok to me. I'll wait for them to finish before making full judgement but at the moment I'm hopeful it will both respect the classic and provide some much needed upgrades.

Reactions: belloq87

I believe you're underselling this project quite a bit. It's not just a new sign and flashy paint job (IE. Pixar Pier). It seems to be a brand new experience sharing the ride profile of JPRA. 9 months is quite a bit of time.

I believe you're underselling this project quite a bit. It's not just a new sign and flashy paint job (IE. Pixar Pier). It seems to be a brand new experience sharing the ride profile of JPRA. 9 months is quite a bit of time.

More-so than Guardians even, as that didn't completely (not counting the additional months of exterior work that began in Sept of 16') close officially until January.

Jurassic World at USH (And presumably UOR, if Dave is correct) is a 9 month project, that will do a lot of changes to the attraction. I really do not think we should be looking that things will stay the same, as while the plot keeps to the same ol' things "go amok on a nice and calm river adventure", it's the scenic changes and additions that are going to have this project take more time than just what Guardians was. And that in which, while made great strive with the 6 customized ride profiles and did some really interesting interior changes, made headway into the use of screen-based media as a large part of the attraction.

It's what makes this project more than just a reskin, and that it's one of the most fascinating challenges that Universal Creative has undergone yet. I would argue, the last time we saw this, was with The Incredible Hulk 2 years back for Orla

Last edited:
Reactions: Coasted
I’m indifferent on this coming to IOA. I’m a sucker for anything Jurassic Park and feel they should have expanded years ago. Would have liked a new JP ride more than Kong. But I would rather see a new ride completely as opposed to an overlay of River Adventure

But I think the success of Jurassic World surprised Universal. Usually old franchises being revived for new sequels tend to bomb. See Alien last year, probably that new Predator this year. But something about Dinosaurs keeps people coming.

Reactions: Ryno27 and belloq87
I see the Mosasaur going where the old cage w/ the goat sounds is. Just some animatronic jaws coming out and "eating" whatever's in the cage.
Doesn't the Hollywood ride have the falling jeep? I can see them using that area for the Mosasaur. The same mechanism that dropped the jeep could pull up the dino or lower a shark .

Reactions: chris.g
I'm thinking the Mosasaurus will be a practical effect.

More massive mechanical figure than AA. About 25 feet of her comes straight up out of the water, misses the shark, falls over, everyone gets soaked.
Sounds like it could definitely be the co- signature moment of the attraction, equally as dramatic as the dino before you go down the falls, if done in that manner.

Reactions: Ryno27 and Pk3062
Functionally, I don't think you're wrong, but at the same time I can understand the viewpoint a person who didn't like JURASSIC WORLD not appreciating the original movie getting shoved aside for the new, shiny synergy opportunity. The ride would cease to be a reminder of a movie you love and instead be a representation of a movie you don't like, even if the exact nature of the ride itself is mostly the same.

I liked JURASSIC WORLD well enough, but it's no JURASSIC PARK (which remains the most formative movie-going experience of my life), so I can understand the attachment some might have to the "classic" version of the ride for intangible, personal connection reasons.

For Orlando wouldn't calling the land "Isla Nublar" be the best possible middle ground for fans, as both parks exist on that island. Can keep a updated approach in terms of rides and theming but still keep classic JP elements

Reactions: belloq87
Status
Not open for further replies.