Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 156 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To put it in easier terms, they dont need to do that. Most people at a certain age get tired of disney because it become repetitive. There have been an abundant of stories of people who say that when their kids become tall enough for the thrill rides, USO and IOA becomes their park of choice and thats where they have their vacations from then on out and only sometime visit disney. They dont need "kiddy" rides because there are enough of those in Disney. And they want to distinguish themselves

Then why does Disney have higher attendance than Uni? Do you think Uni wants to sit back and let Disney have higher attendance? No, they want to grow their audience. They want MORE people to attend them. I think sometimes we live in this world of Theme Park Geeks and we don't see what a normal family does. I know and meet many families at Disney, people I know, old high school friends, etc. Anyone I know with any kid under the age of 5 do not even attempt to go to Universal. I do, because I love theme parks. I drag my kids to it. And yes, my daughter does care if we ride too many "adult" rides without a ride for her. She didn't when she was 1 or 2, but now that she is 3, yes, she cares. She wants to go on the rides. So this stops us from doing child swap at certain rides because she complains. For most families who only attend once a year or less, it is too much to deal with a whining three year old so they just don't go. They would rather wait until all their kids have enough to go on.

And BTW, the general public does not always get tired of Disney. I know MANY people my age with no kids who still go to Disney and not Uni. Heck I know some people who have lived here for years and have never stepped one foot into Universal. Disney was the place they grew up going to and that is the park they want to continue to go to. My family, my husband's family, and my husband's friends (no kids until 6 months ago) go to Disney every visit (they come at least once a year), but only Uni once every 3 or 4 years. I have a Uni AP pass and I tell them about all the cool things, so it is not from lack of trying on my part. My friends all have kids and won't set foot into Uni until all their kids are older. I am the only one of my friends that goes to Universal at all never the less has an AP to it where I know many people with Disney APs.

Disney is the most attended park for a reason and Universal has been pulling families from Disney, but if they want to increase that they need to do more and they are.

Reactions: TylerDurden
Then why does Disney have higher attendance than Uni?

Because it's an American institution/right of passage that now has become a south American right of passage as well.

Do you think Uni wants to sit back and let Disney have higher attendance?

For the most part? Yes. Universal doesn't want MK/Disneyland numbers.

Many people confuse attendance as the important metric in theme parks. It is not.

For the most part? Yes. Universal doesn't want MK/Disneyland numbers.

Many people confuse attendance as the important metric in theme parks. It is not.

Agreed, they can't beat MK, they don't have the land or size to handle the attendance numbers MK gets. But they want to beat Hollywood Studios and AK in attendance numbers.

And I know they care more about guest spending in many aspects. But a good way to increase that is with attendance. And more then a one day tacked on the end of a Disney vacation. They want that family of 4 to stay on property for 3 or more days. They spend more that way. So the best way to get that one day person to spend more time? Give their family more things to do.

True, higher attendance does not necessarily mean a better park/experience.
Also, thinking about it globally, Disney is more known, you can make the word Disney part of an expression "life is not like Disney land" but the same is not true for Universal ... it seems like something stupid of me to say, but there is a lot to this, Disney is more of a phenomenon, that is why more people go to there.

True, higher attendance does not necessarily mean a better park/experience.
Also, thinking about it globally, Disney is more known, you can make the word Disney part of an expression "life is not like Disney land" but the same is not true for Universal ... it seems like something stupid of me to say, but there is a lot to this, Disney is more of a phenomenon, that is why more people go to there.
Disney has a stronger brand and was the first to do what it did...It is a staple of Americana and always will be, like Coca-Cola. Universal on the other hand is more known for the studio and many great films that changed the face of cinema...I bet if you hum the Universal theme to someone they will hum it back to you..

The key is guest spending that determines the 'health' of an organization like a theme park...tickets pay the bills..spending pays for expansion..

I think Universal is genius in skipping the under 5 crowd and going for the conscious 6 and up group...seriously, anyone remember going to Disney when they were 2?

They already beat DHS's attendance.

And yes, I know what the TEA numbers say.

The numbers I found were from 2012 and they were over a million behind any Disney park. Don't remember where my numbers were from, but it was a report on all parks world wide broken down by various things.

This entire debate is getting nowhere. This same debate was had between both of you a few months ago and it ended the same way. IMO, You both are right in a way, but I agree with Iggy's line of thinking more. Universal is trying to create more attractions the entire family can enjoy TOGETHER. It's not whether it's an attraction that will pull a family away from Disney or not, it's about building the resort. Over time, if people start to realize there's more for the whole family to do, they'll start to consider possibly extending days at Universal and possibly even staying on site.

It's all about resort expansion and appealing to a wide range of people. They fill the thrill niche of Orlando excellently. They want to be thought of as more than just a niche though.

This entire debate is getting nowhere. This same debate was had between both of you a few months ago and it ended the same way. IMO, You both are right in a way, but I agree with Iggy's line of thinking more. Universal is trying to create more attractions the entire family can enjoy TOGETHER. It's not whether it's an attraction that will pull a family away from Disney or not, it's about building the resort. Over time, if people start to realize there's more for the whole family to do, they'll start to consider possibly extending days at Universal and possibly even staying on site.

It's all about resort expansion and appealing to a wide range of people. They fill the thrill niche of Orlando excellently. They want to be thought of as more than just a niche though.

While you got my name wrong lol, I agree with what you said. It is going to be a slow move to attract families and will never be a move towards kiddie land.

I also agree to disagree with JungleSkip, we really get nowhere when we have this discussion. I will never change his mind and he will never change mine.

While you got my name wrong lol, I agree with what you said. It is going to be a slow move to attract families and will never be a move towards kiddie land.

I also agree to disagree with JungleSkip, we really get nowhere when we have this discussion. I will never change his mind and he will never change mine.
lol, sorry, i'm a little tired and just kinda skimmed over the conversation.

I agree with this. I never said they weren't trying to get more for the family to do.

I said they are not looking to target the under 5 crowd. Because they're not.

I honestly just want some flat rides, camp Jurassic expansion, dark ride maybe a family coaster and a updated discovery center and river adventure. That's pretty much it. Enough for the whole family to enjoy. I'm just terrified universal might go the Chester and Hester route. "Let's make it a cheesy wooden rollercoaster with cheesy flat rides to make a carnival aesthetic" probably won't happen but after Hammonds hoops who knows

I agree, flat rides are fun no matter what. Yeah they aren't technologically ground breaking but they are just fun especially when they are done right. Uni has been on a roll with making fun and interesting flat rides with fun themes and gimmicks. No doubt they will go all out with JP theming

Yeah, but I was talking about specifically a spinner ride, being that they already have one in IOA. I mean, a flat ride of some sort seems almost all but inevitable, but I would hope that something other than a spinner would go in Jurassic Park, since it would probably be nearly the same as One Fish Two Fish- the rider makes the (probably dinosaur in this case) ride vehicle go up and down with the joystick; if he/she doesn't, he/she could get splashed by some water-spraying source. The only flat ride UOR has built recently was another spinner, and while it was well themed, it was also occupying a space that couldn't have been utilized by anything more complex, and the ride fits in with the carnival-style theme of the area.

Yeah, but I was talking about specifically a spinner ride, being that they already have one in IOA. I mean, a flat ride of some sort seems almost all but inevitable, but I would hope that something other than a spinner would go in Jurassic Park, since it would probably be nearly the same as One Fish Two Fish- the rider makes the (probably dinosaur in this case) ride vehicle go up and down with the joystick; if he/she doesn't, he/she could get splashed by some water-spraying source. The only flat ride UOR has built recently was another spinner, and while it was well themed, it was also occupying a space that couldn't have been utilized by anything more complex, and the ride fits in with the carnival-style theme of the area.
I honestly don't see uni making another spinner. possibly another carousel but if they do go that route please make it a double decker. Any other flat ride would be too rough for its demographic

I have no idea on what UOR's plans or stratagies are. I was a little intrigued by the last survey I took (not too long ago) in they asked if I would attend an all ages Halloween event. I know that really does not mean anything but it does support family w/o necessarily meaning 'under five'.

What I do know is my family. We only have one child who is eight. The main reason we did not go to UOR until she was six really had nothing to do with age, but it had to do with knowing my daughter. From the local fair to Disney, I knew my daughter loved thrill rides.

We waited until she was tall enough to ride a good number of rides (I want to say 48 inches if my memory is correct) because I knew she would see the big roller costers and would want to ride them. I knew I would not ride rides she could not (I let my wife, but I really do not want to split our small family up too often during our time together).

I really do not think a couple (even three or four) no height limit rides would have changed us going sooner for she could still rides she would want to experience but couldn't...but once she was tall enough for Forbiden Journey, I figured there was enough thrill she could experience....man it was close that first trip, but she got on....but I think my greatest memory from that trip was watching my six year old run over to the test seats for Hulk...she buckled in...called over an employee and began to argue that she fit well enough in the seat and she should be allowed to ride...it did not get too crazy and I am not saying I was happy she started to argue with an employee...I quickly defused it and showed her how much I could move her around in the seat...but I guess it was just in seeing that I know my daughter and I knew she would hate not being tall enough for the big rides...

Will still have a while before she can ride Hulk or Dragons (hope I'm still up for it when she is tall enough)...but our last quick trip was mainly because she hit 51 inches so she got to ride HRRR...four times in a row 1st thing in the AM that first day...and then I was surprised to find out that she is really 52 inches as she also got to ride Dr Doom...

Long off topic post, but I guess I am feeling talkative tonight..

I agree with this. I never said they weren't trying to get more for the family to do.

I said they are not looking to target the under 5 crowd. Because they're not.

Theres a difference between targeting and catering to :bonk: Even Disney doesnt "target" 5-year-olds...it turns out 5 year olds usually dont pay for family vacations. The whole point of Universal's recent expansions has been to appeal to an audience that they have been largely ignoring for the past two decades. Nobody, not even Izzy, is saying Universal is going to turn into Sesame Place. They are just widening their appeal by adding attractions a younger audience can enjoy more than their current offerings. You can argue that as much as youd like, but the facts stack up against this side of the debate.

- - - Updated - - -

To put it in easier terms, they dont need to do that. Most people at a certain age get tired of disney because it become repetitive. There have been an abundant of stories of people who say that when their kids become tall enough for the thrill rides, USO and IOA becomes their park of choice and thats where they have their vacations from then on out and only sometime visit disney. They dont need "kiddy" rides because there are enough of those in Disney. And they want to distinguish themselves

Really? Is this what your extensive market research has shown you? There are numbers that beg to differ, unless the number of 5-year olds is exponentially greater than 8-year-olds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.